Thread: Oh, It's A Lovely War!

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar

Oh, It's A Lovely War!

Celebrating the western military industrial complex 1914-satire stylee.

Defector admits to WMD lies that triggered Iraq war

• Man codenamed Curveball 'invented' tales of bioweapons
    • Iraqi told lies to try to bring down Saddam Hussein regime
    • Fabrications used by US as justification for invasion

Rafid Ahmed Alwan al-Janabi, codenamed Curveball by German and American intelligence officials who dealt with his claims, has told the Guardian that he fabricated tales of mobile bioweapons trucks and clandestine factories in an attempt to bring down the Saddam Hussein regime, from which he had fled in 1995.

"Maybe I was right, maybe I was not right," he said. "They gave me this chance. I had the chance to fabricate something to topple the regime. I and my sons are proud of that and we are proud that we were the reason to give Iraq the margin of democracy."
    Interesting. Should people who used this as the main reason for justifying the invasion of Iraq now be saying "yeah, well, it's turned out alright in the end... so we were right" ?

There are no words for this. Also, who knows if the Bush admin knew they were lies to begin with....

If I believed in karma, I would imagine that this man's life is gonna flat out suck.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

I remember a very similar thing happening after the Kuwait war. It was revealed that a nurse who wept before the UN security council telling of Iraqis throwing babies from incubators while looting Kuwaiti hospitals for equipment was actually daughter of a staff member at the Kuwaiti embassy in Washington.

But I don't think for one second these people act alone. When it's time for a war, some evidence will be assembled.

If it's a lovely war, then we don't we show our affection with some friendly fire...
    Life. Some of it's valuable, some of it's junk, but all of it is odd.

Please let this liar go to prison!
    He is responsible for the death of 4 thousand soldier and possibly 100,000 civilians. He is a bloody murderer.

Creepy Curmudgeon
    No, Rumsfeld, Cheney, Bush and Blair are responsible. They're the ones who need to go to prison.

Aaaand Operation Third Time Lucky continues to plunge into exactly the mire that its proponents swore was completely inconcievable as British and French """"military advisors""" get installed on the ground.

This Simon Jenkins article sums it up for me:

Quote Originally Posted by extract
    Cameron watchers are mesmerised by how he found himself up this creek with no paddle other than the dubious Nicolas Sarkozy. The iron law of Nato, which is do nothing unless the Americans are in the lead, was clearly breached. Barack Obama could not have been clearer in not wanting a new Middle East conflict.

The PM is said to be eager to imitate Tony Blair and hang a dictator's scalp on his belt. ... Did Downing Street not spot the trap, that the resolution was drafted to fail? If ever a British military adventure was "victory-lite", Libya 2011 is it.

If I were a Libyan rebel I would be furious. As a mere British citizen and taxpayer I only wonder what game is being played in north Africa in my name and with my money. How can Cameron say he is short of cash when he can blow 500,000 destroying one tank? Britain is using bombers not to support invasion but as an alternative to invasion. This strengthens sympathy for the bombed, not least because bombs constantly miss their targets. Nato, which presumably means the RAF, has already killed civilians in Sirte and blasted a rebel force it was supposedly protecting, despite denying it was acting as "a rebel air arm".

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand oh dear population displacement after our friendly little intervention in Libya (helping the good guys!) has now triggered a civil war in Mali.

So Britain and France are bombing some bad guys there now. No parliamentary debates, no votes, it's basically an admin decision. Doesn't even seem to be making the front pages. We're bombing some former colony? It's snowing and there have been golden globes at which people wore clothes, how can we expect it to be fitted in!

Still, here's hoping it all goes well.

^ Frances misses a bit of its colonialism

Yep, yep, yep. The US has its own death ray!

WTF?

UT-Austin history professor and liberal darling Jeremi Suri says "BOMB NORTH KOREA!"

Also, his TED talk.

I'm moving to Antarctica.

Wha...! He thinks the N Koreans would be "unlikely" to retaliate against the south if there was a US first-strike?

Would the USA be similarly "unlikely" to retaliate if, say, Iran decided to take out some US missile bases they considered to be threatening them?

A lot of people in Seoul must be hoping Obama isn't going to test this guy's definition of unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by uncanny hats View Post
    I am so grossed out by this. Clinton was slamming this in the media yesterday. Even Trump is against it, and that guy is a scumbag.

I hope she'd be able to do something about it. This is disgusting behavior.