Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: +++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar

Icon15 +++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

"In a distant and second-hand set of dimensions, in an astral plane that was never meant to fly, the curling star-mists waver and part..."

I couldn't find a thread on the brilliant Discworld series by Terry Pratchett here and thought of making one for it. Anyone else a fan? I became one from the other way in, browsing through the Wit & Wisdom of Discworld and the quote that had me putting in the huge investment in getting all 37 books (this was before the release of I Shall Wear Midnight):

"Im sure you wont dream of trying to escape from your obligations by fleeing the city..."

"I assure you the thought never even crossed my mind, lord."

"Indeed? Then if I were you Id sue my face for slander."

I love all the story arcs: Rincewind/wizards, witches, Death, City Watch, Moist, though reading the series in one uninterrupted streak might have something to do with my finding Jingo and Interesting Times slightly inferior. Since I've never played D&D and games of similar ilk Discworld's my first entry into the world of Guilds, and my, what Guilds there are. Very thankful for the Discworld Companion for including elaborations only found in the calendars and definitely looking forward to Snuff and Raising Taxes.

It's rather unfortunate about Pratchett's Alzheimer's Disease, and I read somewhere in connection to Unseen Academicals that the series being such a lucrative cash cow may get ghost-written as his problem progresses. If it comes to that, I hope they'd just put the name of the author to the book instead of having it ride on Pratchett's.

Dang it, I can't add a poll now on which story arc you like most.

Yay!!! Pratchett is the king of satire. I'm amazed how well he can mix goofball jokes with incredibly profound observations about life/society/politics/religion. Truly a master at what he does.
    My favorite story arc will probably always be the City Watch. Vimes is such a delicious character, Carrot is the best dwarf ever and Nobby is, well, Nobby... Next up would be the witches but the whole Magrat/Nanny Ogg/Granny Weatherwax trifecta has sort of broken up Wyrd Ladies is fantastic, though.

First book: guards guards
    Favorite book: men at arms
    Least favorite book: probably Jingo, which was indeed rather weak and chaotic. I also didn't care much for Thud which felt unfinished...
    post28!

I read somewhere that if there'd be continuation in the Witches story arc,

The next book's Snuff, a City Watch novel. Hope it'll meet your approval too! I would kill, pun intended, to enrol into the Guild of Assassins. Most likely a scholarship kid like Inigo Skimmer.
    Last edited by Canoodlefish; 02-17-2011 at 07:49 PM.

Snuff? I thought the new novel was going to be Raising Taxes..?

*wikipedias*

Ok, sounds interesting, a whodunit mystery. I have to confess, though, as much as I love Vimes, taking him out of Ankh Morpork doesn't always deliver a good book (Jingo, 5th elephant, thud). We'll see

Oh and yes to the ackward intro of Orcs. I still don't really 'get' it, even though Mr Nutt was quite cool.
    post28!

Not quite Men at Arms, but still!

http://fortressat.com/index.php?opti...tml&Itemid=240

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    woot! I've been slowly making my way through the discworld series - every so often I'll read the next one along in between reading other books. I started at the first book and have been working my way through. I'm only moving on to "witches abroad" next.

Snuff to be out on 13th October 2011! That's an Austen line:

http://pjsmprints.com/news/index.html

According to the writer of the best selling crime novel ever to have been published in the city of Ankh-Morpork, it is a truth universally acknowledged that a policeman taking a holiday would barely have had time to open his suitcase before he finds his first corpse.

And Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch is on holiday in the pleasant and innocent countryside, but not for him a mere body in the wardrobe, but many, many bodies and an ancient crime more terrible than murder.

He is out of his jurisdiction, out of his depth, out of bacon sandwiches, occasionally snookered and occasionally out of his mind, but not out of guile. Where there is a crime there must be a finding, there must be a chase and there must be a punishment.

They say that in the end all sins are forgiven.

But not quite all…

I loved Discworld growing up. I stopped reading shortly after The Fifth Elephant was published - maybe it's time to reread and catch up?

I was just reminiscing about the first adventure game the other day too!

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    I overdosed one summer, reading about the first dozen, and have always meant to go back for more someday. This thread may prompt me!

The Death of Rats is my favourite character in all fiction, ever.

SQUAK!!!

Mansdrew, 5th Elephant is imo one of the weakest novels. As good as Terry is, he doesn't always do politics all that well...
    There were quite a few good ones published after that, though, like Thief of Time and Monstrous Regiment. Going Postal and Making Money feature a new protagonist, Moist von Lipwig, who is sort of a dirty scoundrel. And there's the Tiffany Aching books with the Nac Mac Feegle who are simply hilarious (sort of scottish braveheart-painted gnomes with no fear or morals).

I do wish he'd shift the focus away from Vimes / Ankh Morpork for a bit. I would love more Granny Weatherwax / Lancre or Death based stories...
    (then again, I'm glad he's still writing at all with his Alzheimers )
    post28!

Snuff hard cover is OUT!!!!! Imma go read it in the bookshop this Saturday!
    "Never build a dungeon that you cannot get out of."

Did anybody finish Snuff yet? I've had it on my shelf for weeks now and only just started.
    I re-read a few DW-novels in the past few months like Lords and Ladies and Mort and I must say I appreciated their simplicity (for want of a better word) a lot!
    While I adore his last few books, the DW universe has gotten so huge and chock-full of characters and running themes like technological progress that it sometimes feels like its catching up with him.

Like I said a few posts back, I'd love it if he wrote a book in a smaller setting, more 'top-down' so to speak.
    (but yeah, again, I'm happy he feels good enough to even write at all)
    post28!

What with The Long Earth, I didn't think we'd be getting a Discworld this year, but this has just appeared on FB:

For "younger" readers, I believe. Which means it will probably be more awesome than the "grown-up" Discworlds, if the Aching Sequence is anything to go by.

It's not a Discworld novel; more along the line of Nation
    "Never build a dungeon that you cannot get out of."