Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Tori's worst song

If you get through 500 miles, it ends in a way that is beautiful and exceptionally authentic (given we talk about AATS ), "even break" part is gorgeous.

For my Giant's Rolling Pin is sth I can't forgive, I listened to it twice back in 2014 and never going to repeat that mistake.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    If it must be singular, her dead worst song, the very worst one of all, I have to go with Not Dying Today.

Oh, I don't know -- for me, Harps of Gold wins hands down. I don't know that anyone has ever managed to sing the word "Gloria" with such a lack of enthusiasm. The cardboard-sounding drums, the weird-ass synth bells, the terrifying reverb-less chorus of "echo, echo, echo..." puts it way ahead of the pack for me.

Not to mention the fact that Matt Chamberlain *definitely* fucked up the fill going into the last chorus, thinking there was more transition time, and they kept the false downbeat in anyway. The whole track is just such a glorious mess.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mich. View Post
    If you get through 500 miles
    i never got through it. i don't care about the bridge. when i heard the first verse i thought it was some kind of weird joke. like a song for little kids in daycare to clap to. sorry hombre.

The last half of 500 Miles is beautiful. It was the first time in two album cycles that her studio voice sounded good IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    i never got through it. i don't care about the bridge. when i heard the first verse i thought it was some kind of weird joke. like a song for little kids in daycare to clap to. sorry hombre.
    I'm with you Kala. (And for the record 500 Miles is a close second to NDT for Worst designation). I hate the beginning of the song so much, I will never bother to listen to the second half. It's not like the UG title track where some people feel there are weak and great parts to the songs... the first part of 500 Miles isn't weak, it's absolute wretched bullshit! I mean unless people are saying the second half is like the climax of Yes, Anastasia or something, I'm not biting!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    The last half of 500 Miles is beautiful. It was the first time in two album cycles that her studio voice sounded good IMO.
    oh dear god.

I have to agree that Not Dying Today takes the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEP View Post
    I have to agree that Not Dying Today takes the cake.
    get your paws off mah MISTER. but seriously, she must have been going through an awful time in her life when she wrote most of AAtS.

The thing about NDT... she's clearly talking herself up, trying to make herself feel better... and yet, she was literally achieving her artistic nadir with that awful song. In addition to being an incredibly off-putting song in general, it's sad for that reason. It's just bad bad bad.

Inspired by this thread I just listened to 500 Miles and Not Dying Today for the first time in years. Add Secret Spell to the mix - there is something so incredibly low-budget-early-90s-after-school-special sounding about these tracks. It's unmistakable to me.

And I never noticed that line about ankle straps and MISTAH. Jesus.

Not Dying Today is pure evil. I'd rather listen to a Justin Bieber cover of Sleeps with Butterflies.

Pink and Glitter

Definitely NDT. Just awful. There is no listening to it. But to be honest, I don't even remember what it sounds like at all.

Edit:
    I just looked up the lyrics and when I got to the "A dandelion? I need to think about that," part, I decided that I had to hear it again, for the first time in 1,000 years. And now my ears are bleeding.
    Last edited by John's Face; 02-09-2018 at 04:12 PM.
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Wings or Benjamin or Bats
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.