Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To The Fair Motormaids of Japan

To The Fair Motormaids of Japan

One of the unreleased songs that has always been very mysterious to me (and I'm sure most of you) is "To The Fair Motormaids of Japan." For some reason, I always thought a motormaid was like a meter maid. But I just looked it up, and it looks like it's a female motorcycle driver.

Then I started looking around and I found a book called "The Motor Maids of Palm and Pine."

AND THEN..I found this: http://www.onread.com/book/The-Motor...air-Japan-3625

Is this old news, or has someone found this already?

Either way, I think it's very interesting. May give some hint as to what the song is about.

Also, has anyone asked Tori about the song directly at a M&G before? What has she said?

Living up to your username?

Anyway, very, very interesting find. She has said stuff like, maybe she'll play it live (which she hasn't) and that if we haven't heard it yet is because the song sucks. (Yeah, I'm paraphrasing)
    "A universe that needed someone to observe it in order to collapse it into existence would be a pretty sorry universe indeed."

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I think the last time I heard her talk about it was during the ADP era so she hasn't forgotten it. I'm hopeful it will appear some day.

werewolves, not swear-wolves Chalk's Avatar
    remember Snow Cherries From France?

a little more time, endless time Savannah's Avatar
    Fuuuuuuuuuuu
    I thought this thread was going to have new information. =\

That link doesn't work for me, BTW.

The Book "The Motormaids in Fair Japan" can actually be accessed via Google Books. I haven't read it, but I might get around to it eventually.

I have never heard about this! Hope we fans get to hear it one day.

I doubt we'll ever get it. It's been too long.

feel it seep thru the slick divide MyNameisWarts's Avatar
    I've said it before, but I really believe she makes up song titles and then when fans beg her for them incessantly she SOMETIMES writes them after the fact. Snow Cherries From France, for instance, does not sound like something written in the era it was first mentioned in.

You are what you wear. Corey Haim's Avatar
    imagine if tori had done some tacky cross promotion/relief donation because of the earthquake in japan.
    It basically comes down to that word: love. I guess that's what it's all about.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameisWarts View Post
    I've said it before, but I really believe she makes up song titles and then when fans beg her for them incessantly she SOMETIMES writes them after the fact. Snow Cherries From France, for instance, does not sound like something written in the era it was first mentioned in.
    I did think that with "Zero Point" for a while. But on the subject of "Snow Cherries from France," apparently Neil Gaiman said pre-SW era that she sang it for him and it was "lovely." I think she probably had a fragment, similar to how she had the chorus to "Martha's Foolish Ginger" in 1996/97, but it wasn't finished.

Actually here's what she said about it

Okay, Snow Cherries from France took a long time to write, yes, about 7 years maybe. Um, I finally finished it this summer. And it's not that it was just finished as far as a song goes, but I couldn't seem to find the point of view to sing it. I went back and forth, depending on if I was mad at my husband or not, I mean, it kept changing. But then finally I found a place with it, that I began to understand what it was saying to me, and in the recording I changed some of the quotes that he had said originally, no, she says. And because of that, it all began to make sense. So her position in it changed from when I started to write it, and she's a little more involved. She's a little more up to shenanigans than I thought she originally was, and that's why it worked.
    I started writing this song in 1996 to '97. It's been a long time coming. I think it finally came together because I changed the narrator's point of view ever so slightly. That is, that she knew on some level that he was going to leave her. The previous angle was that she didn't think he would go. She came into it a lot more naive the first go 'round. And finally, once I kind of cracked who this woman was--how she thought, and how she felt--it came together. That is, that deep down, she knew he was a wanderer. And she took the risk anyway.
    Also I never would have picked "Miracle" to have started life in the Choirgirl era so I guess a lot of it really does come down to arrangements and production.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    We may have already heard it (doubtfully, though) and don't even know it. If we had heard of a song called "Violet's Eyes," but never HEARD it, it wouldn't have made me think it was a Miracle/Almost Rosey hybrid.

We assume too that Melusine is Dolphin Song, correct? Song names change, songs themselves change, so it is possible the chorus or the melody has shown up somewhere if she still has it stuck in her head.

I would have loved to heard a little demo of it on A Piano.

Cause I don't have the time, baby!! Unreliable Narrator's Avatar
    ^ My money is on "Goodbye Pisces".

Surrender, then start your engines OrenLovesTori's Avatar
    I too doubt that we'll ever hear anything of this song (if it ever existed in any serious form). In any case the book is a very interesting find. I'm almost certain it inspired the song title. Too much of a coincidence otherwise. Though I dout if it had anything with the actual content of the song.
    It reminds me of the lyrics to Pro Widow hiding in some Poe book.

It's been my most anticipated of the unreleased ones mainly because of the wonderful title.

Songs we are aware of that are still in the vaults:

Berlin Wall (LE)
    Learn to Fly (LE)
    Lady Jane (UTP?)
    To the Fair Motormaids of Japan (BFP)
    Goodbye Girl's Electric Band (ADP/AATS)

Inside Job too if that's real. Plus a load of others she's never spoken about. For instance, Walk to Dublin came out of nowhere 11 years after it was recorded.