Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: To The Fair Motormaids of Japan

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    ^ you forgot "oranges and see it crying"

Quote Originally Posted by OrenLovesTori View Post
    It reminds me of the lyrics to Pro Widow hiding in some Poe book.
    I never heard of that. Which Poe book was it?

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    You're right. THAT is my most anticipated

And well you forgot about the whole album Silver Crochet Moss.

Quote Originally Posted by ChoirgirlsInGaffa View Post
    I never heard of that. Which Poe book was it?
    http://classiclit.about.com/library/...poe-sphinx.htm

Near the close of exceedingly warm day, I was sitting, book in hand, at an open window, commanding, through a long vista of the river banks, a view of a distant hill, the face of which nearest my position had been denuded by what is termed a land-slide, of the principal portion of its trees. My thoughts had been long wandering from the volume before me to the gloom and desolation of the neighboring city. Uplifting my eyes from the page, they fell upon the naked face of the bill, and upon an object-upon some living monster of hideous conformation, which very rapidly made its way from the summit to the bottom, disappearing finally in the dense forest below. As this creature first came in sight, I doubted my own sanity-or at least the evidence of my own eyes; and many minutes passed before I succeeded in convincing myself that I was neither mad nor in a dream.

That would have been her best single, easily, I bet.
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameisWarts View Post
    I've said it before, but I really believe she makes up song titles and then when fans beg her for them incessantly she SOMETIMES writes them after the fact. Snow Cherries From France, for instance, does not sound like something written in the era it was first mentioned in.
    Lyrically maybe, but no- I'm sure it was specifically recorded for librarian. It's got the same awful gloss everything had from that point onward.

I think it's a sweet song and all but yes, there's a reason why it's trotted out when people wonder about lost songs. The only Lost Song that I've ever really liked is Walk to Dublin and that doesn't count since no one really knew enough about it for it to have been "lost."

She could've put Motormaids in a Piano... Maybe someone should give her the book as a present and smile But seriously, an album/EP of lost songs is something I would sell the life of my firstborn child for.
    "A universe that needed someone to observe it in order to collapse it into existence would be a pretty sorry universe indeed."

it's name probably got changed to something that ended up on AATS.

o-feel-ya?

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Walk to Dublin. Man, I love that one. "I like totally forgot that song lawlz cuz everybody wanted it to be commercial and I was like oh noes I didn't want that but here it is, a tip of the veil of hidden treasures lifted, ciao ciao - Tori" How anybody can forget a song like that, I can't imagine. And I think Motormaids is probably as good as that.

I still have the promo CD of that with the emo remix on it.

I think the problem is that fans build up the lost songs too much. That happened with Snow Cherries and Zero Point. There was a time when Tori's b-sides were some of her best material (see Honey and Peeping Tommi), and maybe that's why people get so excited when they think of what ended up being cut from albums. But I don't remember Tori ever hyping those songs as her best or anything... the fans did that on their own.

I thought Zero Point was good, although it could be a few minutes shorter, and it's pretty obvious that it was recorded more recently than 99. Plus the lyrics she teased everyone with over a decade ago didn't even end up in the final cut of the song. Snow Cherries is a beautiful little song, IMO (see the Paris 2010 version where she looks to be getting very emotional during it) but it's nothing ground-breaking or unusual.

To the Fair Motormaids of Japan has a great title but what are the chances that the song would live up to the hype? Remember when everyone was drooling for Melusine and we got Dolphin Song? x infinity.

But I like Dolphin Song and Snow Cherries... so I would rather have them than not, I mean, they didn't end up on album proper, so what's the harm? *plays Dolphin Song*
    "A universe that needed someone to observe it in order to collapse it into existence would be a pretty sorry universe indeed."

^^ Re: Ryan, I really love Zero Point. Especially the bridge. I know her vocals are way too much dominant, but screw that. At least it's a sonic experiment, much unlike anything she has made recently.
    As to Melusine aka Dolphin Song... Oh crap It could have been a good song had it been not so polished. And don't get me started on smoooo like dooolfffaann

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    While I know it could be a shit song, there is a loud voice in my head going "But it could be as good as Take Me With You." It could be a great song that if it were to be released, would be butchered in production. It could be a song that would be fun as a one-time improv, but not worth 2 decades of wondering. Not knowing ANYTHING about it makes my imagination run wild. And even if it's bad, dammit, I want to hear it. I would listen to Tori singing in the shower, doing lullabies to Tash, singing a grocery shopping list to herself. I'm not as exhausted by her as some of the people here, so unheard songs make me nuts with desire.

feel it seep thru the slick divide MyNameisWarts's Avatar
    I don't get the consensus hatred for dolphin song. I'm the first to hate on Tori songs, especially newer ones, but Dolphin to me is a pretty solid track. I think it has a really unique sound.