Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: To The Fair Motormaids of Japan

Unique I agree with, it's just not the sort of unique that appeals to me. It's pure cheese to my ears.

I definitely wouldn't listen to Dolphin Song in front of anyone. But I do secretly listen to it sometimes. The part "I sought shelter in our child's room..." cracks me the fuck up. Song lines will guide their way. This song line is taking them to a fiery pit of banality.

There are parts of Dolphin Song that I actually enjoy, but the "Smoooooth like dooooooolphin" part really kills it for me.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    ^ Yes, yes it does. I actually think that lyrically the chorus has a lot going for it until she starts crapping on about dolphins.

I will also join the consensus that I'd love to hear Motormaids mostly for one of the reasons already mentioned (I think by Scarlet). Knowing that it could be another great lost song (like Take Me With You) is so fucking tempting. It might suck, and if it does I'll channel my disappointment into pressing *next* each time it comes on my ipod ... but I'd just like to have the choice to do that!

Yeah, it's a pretty song, but it's a bit cheesetastic. I'd still take it over Ribbons Undone anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunter Fartlett View Post
    I definitely wouldn't listen to Dolphin Song in front of anyone. But I do secretly listen to it sometimes. The part "I sought shelter in our child's room..." cracks me the fuck up. Song lines will guide their way. This song line is taking them to a fiery pit of banality.
    Isn't there something about a fucking roller skate or am I losing it?

Quote Originally Posted by MumbletyPeg View Post
    Isn't there something about a fucking roller skate or am I losing it?
    I sought shelter in our child's room
    She and me against the world
    Safe in our cocoon
    You raced a giant roller-skate
    And said, "The three of us must leave this place
    Song lines will guide our way"

That's particularly meaningful to me. They only brought out the giant skate at the rink when it was a birthday party or something.

I'll take a dozen Zero Points over MEN BRING IN UR FISHING NETS HAVE U CAUGHT URSELF A WUUUMAN YET

LOL. Awww, I like Dolphin Song. I don't listen to it often, but I feel like she wrote it for the drummer. I think it's personal and cheesy, but it puts me in a good mood. "Smoood leeaaaak Dauphin. Ah-hah."

Surrender, then start your engines OrenLovesTori's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    While I know it could be a shit song, there is a loud voice in my head going "But it could be as good as Take Me With You." It could be a great song that if it were to be released, would be butchered in production. It could be a song that would be fun as a one-time improv, but not worth 2 decades of wondering. Not knowing ANYTHING about it makes my imagination run wild. And even if it's bad, dammit, I want to hear it. I would listen to Tori singing in the shower, doing lullabies to Tash, singing a grocery shopping list to herself. I'm not as exhausted by her as some of the people here, so unheard songs make me nuts with desire.
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    TORI: I started writing this song in 1996 to '97. It's been a long time coming. I think it finally came together because I changed the narrator's point of view ever so slightly. That is, that she knew on some level that he was going to leave her. The previous angle was that she didn't think he would go. She came into it a lot more naive the first go 'round. And finally, once I kind of cracked who this woman was--how she thought, and how she felt--it came together. That is, that deep down, she knew he was a wanderer. And she took the risk anyway.
    Hmmm...makes me wonder (haven't we all since TBK, though?)...

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    While I know it could be a shit song, there is a loud voice in my head going "But it could be as good as Take Me With You." It could be a great song that if it were to be released, would be butchered in production. It could be a song that would be fun as a one-time improv, but not worth 2 decades of wondering. Not knowing ANYTHING about it makes my imagination run wild. And even if it's bad, dammit, I want to hear it. I would listen to Tori singing in the shower, doing lullabies to Tash, singing a grocery shopping list to herself. I'm not as exhausted by her as some of the people here, so unheard songs make me nuts with desire.
    Totally agree. And, if she were to release it as originally recorded during Pele, then I definitely want to hear this. I'm sure it's a wonderfully piano-heavy track w/ all kinds of unbridled emotions (even if only in a whisper). Yes, I'll take this.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakefrompele View Post
    LOL. Awww, I like Dolphin Song. I don't listen to it often, but I feel like she wrote it for the drummer. I think it's personal and cheesy, but it puts me in a good mood. "Smoood leeaaaak Dauphin. Ah-hah."
    Hey, don't mind me. I like PLENTY of superbad/super cheese songs. You're looking at the person who will unironically and unabashedly tell you that Police Me is the best thing on AATS.

^Sometimes friends and I will gather for a "bad movie" night and watch some god-awful film just to make fun of it. I think we need a "bad tori songs" night. I think that would be fabulous and hilarious. I like Police Me as well. I can totally deal with Tori's cheesy songs, but I'm kind of a cheesy person, so it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I think the problem is that fans build up the lost songs too much.
    I think that is because we crave old Tori in one way or another. For some fans it is he quirkiness she has lost, some the way she use to sing, for some it is the lyrical content, some it is the lack of the high levels of cheese, and some just are never happy. I just think her older stuff is better and Iwould love to see something that isn't recreated and left untouched by her now.
    I will be ok, eventually...

Quote Originally Posted by pancakefrompele View Post
    ^Sometimes friends and I will gather for a "bad movie" night and watch some god-awful film just to make fun of it. I think we need a "bad tori songs" night. I think that would be fabulous and hilarious. I like Police Me as well. I can totally deal with Tori's cheesy songs, but I'm kind of a cheesy person, so it makes sense.
    I'm in. You bring the merlot and we'll even do karaoke.