Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Queer film, novels, art

Queer film, novels, art

Any recommendations of movies, Art, Books, Comics with gay/ lesbian/ queer subject matter?

Gay Comix was a comic book that ran from 1980-98 with 27 issues ( I just completed my collection!). The comics chronicle the sex, politics and culture of the time, and serve witness to the havoc of AIDS in gay and lesbian community in the U.S. And of course, all told with brilliant wit and humor. Really fascinating stuff.
    Some of my favorite editions:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1300918643.738384.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1300918767.528030.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1300918900.992978.jpg
    Last edited by Banjee; 03-23-2011 at 10:10 PM.

a little more time, endless time Savannah's Avatar
    Someone on Mubi made this epic list of queer films: http://mubi.com/lists/212

I want to recommend Argentinian flick Plan B.
    "A universe that needed someone to observe it in order to collapse it into existence would be a pretty sorry universe indeed."

i'd like to recommend 'a single man', the novel. the movie was good, but i found the book better. (it fills in a few blanks about the film, actually.) it's darker and more sardonic -- deliciously impactful.

i recently watched the movie 'trick' -- heart-warming, funny, great chemistry and great performances by all of the cast (including tori spelling!).

also just watched the entire first season of 'six feet under' -- in three days, which has left me emotionally spent (a lot of heavy subject matter). it's an outstanding show, though. one of the main characters is gay, and he, like all the characters, feels very real and three-dimensional, and the subject of homosexuality is approached very maturely. (there's an episode that focuses on a gay funeral which just ripped my heart out.) so i recommend this show as well.

Quote Originally Posted by folderol and View Post
    i

i recently watched the movie 'trick' -- heart-warming, funny, great chemistry and great performances by all of the cast (including tori spelling!).
    The Tori Spelling meltdown is one of the best pieces of film ever.

I forgort to include this link to Prism Comics: the internets most fabulous queer comic book site.

Shelter is one of my favorite movies. Also, I hate it with all my heart. It makes me bitter and makes me wanna move to California. Those two are my favorite fictional couple.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by folderol and View Post
    I love Trick! It was one of the first gay movies I think I ever watched. So cute. I also really enjoyed Edge of Seventeen. I feel like it is such an accurate depiction of coming out and finding yourself.

As far as books go- Tales of the City is probably my favorite gay collection of books. I am in love with the characters.

Also up there on the list: The Beautiful Room is Empty - Edmund White and I just recently read Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin. So wonderfully written. One more favorite- At Swim, Two Boys by Jamie O'Neill. One of the few books to make me cry. It is a beautiful story. Probably my favorite book ever.

And as far as art goes- I really got into David Wojnarowicz stuff. I saw this at MOMA before I came out many years ago and it really hit me hard:

I highly recommend reading his memoirs Close to the Knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Shelter is one of my favorite movies. Also, I hate it with all my heart. It makes me bitter and makes me wanna move to California. Those two are my favorite fictional couple.
    Shelter was a cute movie. It was nice to finally see a gay film that didn't end with someone dying of AIDS or getting gay-bashed. I realize that this is a generalization and that not all gay films are this way, but I've seen a lot of them and very few have happy endings.

I saw that Wojnarowicz shortly before I came out too! Had a huge effect on me.

Everyone must immediately see The Trip. Definitely one of my favorite movies ever. It's intelligent, fucking hilarious and heartbreaking. Here is the wikipedia page. I don't suggest reading it, though. Just watch it. I was in a phase years ago where I was trying to find a good, gay-themed film and this guy at the video store said to me " if you want to watch a real love story, and I mean a real love story, watch this movie". I'm so glad I did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trip_%282002_film%29
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    ^
    OMG YES. So heartbreaking at the end . Another great movie!

I would like to recommend the cinema of two great homosexual filmmakers and some of the films with gay aspirations that each of them has directed:
    Rainer Werner Fassbinder: Querelle, 1982; Fox And His Friends, 1974
    Luchino Visconti: The Damned, 1969; Death in Venice, 1971; Ludwig, 1972

French gay filmmaker Franois Ozon has made the excellent film Gouttes d'eau sur pierres brlantes (Water Drops on Burning Rocks), 2000, based on a play by Fassbinder.

Kenneth Anger!

^ Yes! Also, Beautiful Thing! The metal pipe! Mommas and the Poppas! Hilarious! A must see!
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

I love Beautiful Thing!