Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Queer film, novels, art

Has anyone seen the Brazilian movie "The Way He Looks"? A coming of age story of a blind teen. It was SO sweet, so romantic - it totally melted my heart.

^ Yes! I love that movie. It's nice to have a gay coming of age story that doesn't end in some bleak or horrific way.

Ha! Yes, I was waiting for it. I guess I've watched too much Joss Whedon.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    I love that movie too! Such a sweet little film.

I read this book today, and loved it, but I can't help but notice that the actors they chose seem to make the age gap appear much wider in the film.

Wasn't it one of the best books ever? I will die when I see the movie. The scenes in the trailer look exactly as I imagined them while reading. I seriously want to bathe in that book. It's a total masterpiece and one of the most tender, painful, insightful and hottest books I've ever read. Sufjan's Futile Devices works perfectly for the movie and his new song sounds gorgeous. I'm so glad that Sufjan obviously loves the book, too. What I would give for him to call me by his name.

Btw, Hammer does Oliver's "later" perfectly. And while Hammer is obviously older that 24/25, I think it was expertly cast.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Well, the book isn't ready for Audible. It will come out on audio book October 3rd or 13th?? Looked up his other books and they don't have audio files, either.
    I've not read an entire book since the paperback version of The Witching Hour. I have severe eye fatigue and pain, maybe caused by that book. Small font size combined with more than 900 pages. Goodness me.
    Reading glasses don't help, anymore. Might need to just go in and see the eye doctor. But ever since I got Audible on my phone.. I rely on it way too much, I think. It's cheating I guess..
    Gone. When hope is almost gone, you know that's the time we must stand strong --
    Every girl in every band- Every cosmic cowboy in the land -to the Earth will you show mercy?

I'm fascinated but also somewhat startled that the author isn't gay.

I'm fascinated by that as well as he's written about gay relationships more than once. However, for some reason, he is able to capture the silent longing, the frailty of intimacy and the complexities of forbidden love SO well. But ultimately, I think that what elevates Call Me By Your Name and allows it to transcend the "gay fiction" tag is his ability to so acutely dissect human relationships, finding within Oliver and Elio's relationship something so entirely universal that it speaks to everyone. I know that being gay colored my reading of the book, but I assume that anyone, regardless of their sexual orientation, can relate to the raw emotions he brings to light.

Having said all that, I know that it's not as if I should be shocked that straight people can be moved by a love story involving two men. The LGBTQ+ community has watched/read heterosexual relationships on screen and in book forever. A well-written love story moves me regardless of the gender of the couple. I'm glad that it seems as if we're reaching a point as a society where if something is good, it's good, regardless of the sexual orientation depicted. That's something us gays have known forever but it seems as though society at large is finally catching on. Look at Moonlight, for example. I know someone could argue that it goes further back to Brokeback Mountain. However, there are still jokes centered on that movie that came from a place of unease. I didn't hear anyone talk about Moonlight as being a "gay" movie. It was just a great movie. Period. I'm hoping CMBYN will be just as well-received and will be discussed as a "love story" without the need for the word "gay" to precede it.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Der Samurai is my favorite queer horror film.
    Last edited by stoneforest; 08-13-2017 at 07:14 AM.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I'm fascinated by that as well as he's written about gay relationships more than once. However, for some reason, he is able to capture the silent longing, the frailty of intimacy and the complexities of forbidden love SO well. But ultimately, I think that what elevates Call Me By Your Name and allows it to transcend the "gay fiction" tag is his ability to so acutely dissect human relationships, finding within Oliver and Elio's relationship something so entirely universal that it speaks to everyone. I know that being gay colored my reading of the book, but I assume that anyone, regardless of their sexual orientation, can relate to the raw emotions he brings to light.

Having said all that, I know that it's not as if I should be shocked that straight people can be moved by a love story involving two men. The LGBTQ+ community has watched/read heterosexual relationships on screen and in book forever. A well-written love story moves me regardless of the gender of the couple. I'm glad that it seems as if we're reaching a point as a society where if something is good, it's good, regardless of the sexual orientation depicted. That's something us gays have known forever but it seems as though society at large is finally catching on. Look at Moonlight, for example. I know someone could argue that it goes further back to Brokeback Mountain. However, there are still jokes centered on that movie that came from a place of unease. I didn't hear anyone talk about Moonlight as being a "gay" movie. It was just a great movie. Period. I'm hoping CMBYN will be just as well-received and will be discussed as a "love story" without the need for the word "gay" to precede it.
    I'm just going to have to suck it up and go to the library and read it eye pain or no. You two have me positively curious about it, now.
    Gone. When hope is almost gone, you know that's the time we must stand strong --
    Every girl in every band- Every cosmic cowboy in the land -to the Earth will you show mercy?