Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Queer film, novels, art

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Carey again.

Are we twins? The same here for me. All the way. Except for Rome and all that. CMBYN is now a part of me and every boyfriend has to read it. It's glorious torture. And as I've said before, Futile Devices could've been written for the movie. Maybe he wrote it after reading it? Who knows. Probably not but it just WORKS. And I'll be a blubbering mess in the theatre when that song plays
    I guess we are! Yes, Future Devices is perfect. I'll always associate this book with ASF, though, because they both hold the same space in my heart.

So I assume you two also had a similar experience as Elio?
    I did. Well, my own experience, different setting and different scenarios but their were parts that were almost exactly that way. I was 16 and he was 23 and it was all so perfect and I was just very lucky that my first ever anything was with someone similar to Oliver. Although it lasted off and on a year an a half.
    Sadly no, I never experienced anything like that. My first love's soundtrack was Alanis' Hands Clean, and I was a bit older (18) so...
    Still, when I was 16 I craved for something like that. And, years later, it was shocking to see it written on paper so clearly, in a way that just traced the stories I used to make up in my mind.

The first gay-themed book I read, back when I was 17, was "The World Of Normal Boys" by KM Soehnlein. I gave it to my first boyfriend and never got it back, so I barely remember how it was and I'l love to read it again, but it's out print. Then I read Maurice, but I disliked it: I wanted the fairytale, not that raw reality. I should read it again, now that I'm older and I've grown to love Forster's work.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

Yes. CMBYN makes 16 year old me so jealous. I often say that I'll never be as sexual as I was then. I wish that the testosterone hit in a man's 20's instead of around 12. ALL I did as a teen was dream of being with another guy ( usually older) and in eastern ky, that wasn't about to happen. Obviously, for various reasons, the adult me is glad that I didn't find a 23 year old to obsess over because I had nowhere near the emotional maturity to process that or to know if I was being taken advantage of in anyway ( worst case scenario, but likely, a nefarious manner). But as much as 16 year old me sees CMBYN as an amazing fantasy, the adult me sees it as a reflection of relationships I've had that were impossible and the beautiful, horrible ache of them.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    The best thing about that book is that it's not an LGBT book, it's a book about time (Aciman is a proustian academic) and about... not love, it doesn't really talk about love. It talks about how absence and distance can magnify your dreams so much that you can project the most intimate core of yourself onto someone else.
    Thank you for this (and for your whole post); that's such a perfect description of the book. Thanks also to everyone who talked about this book; as a result I went out and got it, and finished it a few days ago. I read it in three days. I don't think I've ever had such a visceral reaction to a book. I cried when I finished it as well.

The first 80 or so pages were torture to read, on a personal level; it really brought me back to being seventeen, and the initial silent shame that came with realizing my homosexuality - the desire for someone that's so strong, you can barely contain it, but can't really explain it either. I'm 26 now, and I've spent so much time living outside of that shadow, having put it behind me, that being reminded of that painful period was really triggering. Once the two characters revealed their feelings for each other, the story got so beautiful, and I continued to see so much of myself in the story - not necessarily in the experiences the characters had, but in everything they felt within those experiences. I feel like I've lived through some version of what they went through.

It also made me think about my first sexual experience, my first love, at seventeen - and, looking back, how innocent it all felt, despite whatever pain followed. There is so much innocence in what Elio and Oliver feel and experience with each other, and it reminded me of parts of myself that I hadn't thought about in a long time.

I know I'll be returning to this book at some point in the future. It's already become one of my favourites after only reading once. I saw so much of myself in it - I don't think I've ever read a book I identified with this much. So thank you guys again for bringing it to my attention.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I was working at an ice rink in Indianapolis and I knew I was gay but I didn't know if I would ever act on it. Looking back I just have to chuckle. Like I'd never act on it. I did grow up a Baptist.. so.
    Anyhow, he was a prominent figure skater, his brother hired me at the rink.
    Last edited by Volta; 09-06-2017 at 03:54 AM.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    In anticipation of the film coming out, I read Call Me By Your Name last week.

^ I haven't read Call Me By Your Name yet, because Luca Guadagnino is a king to me and I'm waiting to watch the movie unspoiled, but a close friend of mine is a huge fan of the book and he was telling me that the movie just took his breath away. It was everything he'd wanted from the adaptation, and more.

P.S. While we're on the subject of heartbreaking queer literature, everyone needs to read Madeline Miller's The Song of Achilles. I think I was crying for a week straight, but it was totally worth it.

I read it too and it totally broke my heart, especially after a close friend told me it reminded him of us. Talk about an awful thing that I didn’t realize he felt until now.