Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Queer film, novels, art

Me too!!!!
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar

Just watched "The Bubble". A queer romeo and juliette set in Israel. Really well made move....However I'll just say that I was sad and disappointed in the ending. And I have a huge crush now on the guy that plays Noam.

Wojnarowicz and Co.

Before Night Falls both written (memoir) by Reinaldo Arenas and also turned into an amazing film by Julian Schnabel...

Anything by William S. Burroughs (though starting w/ Queer or Junky is highly recommended; most people just go straight for Naked Lunch).

And, I'm very happy to see he's already been mentioned, but I also have to tip the hat to:

David Wojnarowicz - changed my life, totally flipped my perspective and can still burn me w/ desire, pain, longing and "decaying beauty", as he would've put it.

Start w/ his incindiary memoir, Close to the Knives: A Memoir of Disintegration. If you like this, please move on to:

The Waterfront Journals
    Memoirs That Smell Like Gasoline
    Sounds In The Distance
    and (a must read for diehard fans) In the Shadow of the American Dream: The Diaries of David Wojnarowicz

^
    All awesome recommendations! Especially Reinaldo Arenas and Burroughs!

Yeah, I love them both. Personal favorite is Wojnarowicz, though. Check out Close to the Knives, if you haven't. It's such a passionate, intelligent, heartbreaking memoir.

Also, anything by:

Jean Genet (favorite - A Thief's Journal)
    Rimbaud
    Tennessee Williams

a little more time, endless time Savannah's Avatar

TROPICAL MALADY, Apichatpong Weerasethakul (yeah a lot of people in the cinephile sphere just call him 'Joe')

A fantastic Thai queer fable about the animalistic, hunter/prey nature of courtship. Seriously amazing, Joe's films are like nothing I've ever seen before.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I've always loved this movie called Like It Is.
    Oh, another is Come Undone
    And for the ladies, I really enjoyed the lesbian couple in Tell No One because there was just so much depth to them. The main character of the film has a better relationship with his sister's wife.
    And who can beat Better than Chocolate ?
    I couldn't get into Lost and Delirious, although I was told by all my lesbian friends it was a must see.
    There is an Italian film, i can't remember the title.. but this woman's husband dies and she goes through his stuff and finds out that he has been spending every Sunday with a man. He claims to be going to watch soccer, but he really is going to this guys place.. and the guy's place is so colorful, the whole apartment building is just really close.. and the wife starts to fall for her husband's lover. It is a really interesting story. But I can't remember the title.

OH.. one more.. my absolute favorite: Three Dancing Slaves... It is a great French film about three brothers... three beautiful brothers. The youngest is gay, although the middle brother, who is very flawed, fools around with a tranny... and that scene is kinda cool because the friend of the family - Hicham, actually treats the tranny like a normal human being. The brother and his friends are rather barbaric, which is sad, but the scene with Hicham is nice.
    My favorite part of the movie. I love the song, too. http://youtu.be/UVt5Zt47ARE
    Last edited by Volta; 04-11-2011 at 04:22 AM.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

This looks heartbreaking and amazing.

Can't wait!

Wow this movie looks great !

Just read "Dream Boy" by Jim Grimsley. I'd recommend it!

Weekend looks really good. Def on my must see.

I was never a fan of Better Than Chocolate but lesbian cinema in general is pretty bleh.
    I liked Kissing Jessica Stein when it came out but haven't really seen it since, so... hmm, I loved Lost and Delirious but I do have a sweet spot for Piper. Imagine Me And You is another she did which I thought was lovely. Show Me Love was pretty great. I watched Bloomington last night and it was decent. Wish there were more that stood out...

I'm so excited- going to see Weekend tomorrow night w/ a Q&A with the director. woohoo. I have high expecatations.

I really want to see "Weekend" too. It's gotten rave reviews. Unfortunately, it doesn't come to my area until October, which granted is right around the corner, but I want it and I want it now!

Just watched it, and as I said in the movies thread- I am in love with it. I had high expectations going into this movie, and it exceeded them. I really fell in love with the characters and their relationship. It was so well done.