Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: The All-inclusive Thea Gilmore thread

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar

Her site is offering CD and LPs with five bonus tracks too.

I've never listened to anything by her before but I'm listening to the new one this morning and I quite like it.
    Last edited by Domandapiano; 06-02-2017 at 02:10 PM.

So, what does everyone think of The Counterweight now that it's finally out? I think it gets bogged down by a little filler, especially the deluxe edition, but there's about 10 tracks in there that I think are career highlights for her. Given her already impressive track record, that's really saying something.

On my first listen I thought it was good/ok, but three or four listens in it is really growing on me. Some of the melodies and arrangements are very subtle. I think her voice has never been better. Which are your favourite songs?

How would people rank her albums? Which are people's faves/least faves?

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    On my first listen I thought it was good/ok, but three or four listens in it is really growing on me. Some of the melodies and arrangements are very subtle. I think her voice has never been better. Which are your favourite songs?

How would people rank her albums? Which are people's faves/least faves?
    It really is a grower, I completely agree. My favourites right now are "Another Damn Love Song", "Sounds Good to Me", "Slow Fade to Black" and "The Lucky Hum". I also wish that she'd included "Walk Away" in the standard edition, it's a real highlight.

As far as her albums go, I think she's always a little hit-and-miss. She's a little bit like Ani DiFranco, in that she releases way too much stuff for the individual records to make their impact. That being said, I go back to Murphy's Heart all the time.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that Thea has made the Threads, Beginners, and Girl Mercury EPs available online for the first time. They're up on Spotify and Apple Music as a package called Extended Playground:

Brilliant, thank you!