Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The All-inclusive Thea Gilmore thread

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    ^ That is very nice. Have you heard the new album yet, ebby?

And I've also heard HMV still has some of the Special Editions. It's the same track listing but the Special Edition comes in a box with lyric cards which are all quite nice

I'll be in London at the weekend for the Pope protest so will have a poke around the music shops to see if I can find the special edition. If I can't I'll just cancel my order and get the standard edition.

Is anyone else going to Thea's gig at Dingwalls next month?
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    ^ That is very nice. Have you heard the new album yet, ebby?

And I've also heard HMV still has some of the Special Editions. It's the same track listing but the Special Edition comes in a box with lyric cards which are all quite nice
    I've not heard a thing except the single, as I'm really broke at the moment, and Thea isn't someone I'm going to pirate I like to support independent artists who are trying out new models of selling and interacting with their fanbase.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I liked the Thea song that ebby put on the mix he sent me, so her new record is in my "Saved for Later" queue on eMusic.
    She is really, really under-rated, in my opinion. That song I put on the mix was from her "christmas/winter/solstice" album of sorts, which is eons better than any similar album I've heard in the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    She is really, really under-rated, in my opinion. That song I put on the mix was from her "christmas/winter/solstice" album of sorts, which is eons better than any similar album I've heard in the last few years.
    Aye. Totally underrated.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

My fave semi-recent Thea discovery is the live version of "My Own Private Riot" from Recorded Delivery.

She really is very independent; Radio 2 support her and she has a very loyal (small) fanbase but is really not well-known at all despite making some great acclaimed records. I don't think she's that bothered. She just gets on with it. Her voice has got so much richer over the years, it's a joy to hear on the last few records.

Strange Communion will be getting a lot of play, I think, come winter time. It was my favourite Christmas/winter album of 2009

Icon15

Thea's gig at Dingwall's last night was AMAZING! She played with a full band and included plenty of the new songs.

A few pictures under the spoiler:

I finally got to meet her. I've been listening to her since 2004 seen her play loads of times but had never had the chance to stay and say "Hi" before. We had a little chat about how amazing Anais Mitchell is .

Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the photos. I hear that another Wintertide tour is in the works for December time. Didn't get the chance to see any shows this time so maybe if she does some more shows around Christmas time I'll be able to go.

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the photos. I hear that another Wintertide tour is in the works for December time. Didn't get the chance to see any shows this time so maybe if she does some more shows around Christmas time I'll be able to go.
    There are a few dates coming up listed on SongKick. Hoping somewhere around London or Oxford will be added.

I've booked to see her in Milton Keynes on the 7th December. I'm going to take the day off work and have a geeky day out at Bletchly Park before the gig.

"Teach Me To Be Bad" is the next single and comes with three new songs - "Favourite Absentee," "Several Angels," and "Something to Sing About." TheaGilmore.net says they're offering a 1.29 pre-order but haven't seen links yet.

Clips http://www.amazon.co.uk/Teach-Me-To-...67907&sr=301-1

Thea as excellent as always in Milton Keynes last night and my afternoon at Bletchly Part was fascinating.

Set liist:

• Rosie
    • December
    • Sweet Child Of Mine
    • Atonement
    • God's Got Nothing On You
    • December In New York
    • Blue Christmas
    • Listen The Snow Is Falling
    • Cold Coming
    • Teach Me To Be Bad
    • You're The Radio
    • That'll Be Christmas
    • Midwinter Toast
    • St Stephens Day Murders
    • Old Soul
    • Old Decemeber

No more Thea until February now.

Going to see her tomorrow night at the Sage, Gateshead, cannot wait

Foo
    x

Have a great time!

I'm having my first listen of the festive season to Strange Communion as we speak. I almost forgot how exquisite it is. The choir on "Sol Invictus" sounds amazing loud on good speakers, and the entire thing - the instrumentation, her voice, the quality of the originals (and two inspired covers) - adds up to one of my very favourite Thea albums and certainly up there with the very best of the winter/Christmas albums I have heard.

And it features the ever awesome Mark Radcliffe.