Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Sinéad O'Connor

Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    Faith And Courage is one of those albums that I enjoy musically quite a bit, although it's patchy, and I conveniently ignore the lyrics because she'd gone a bit too Jesus-y on it. I mean, I only fully realised recently that she was singing about being married to Jesus on "No Man's Woman".

LOL me too! I have been watching her performance of No Man's Woman for Letterman Show last week then I realised the same thing. More than 10 years thinking "she's talking about any other guy she invented to be loved or, at least, not to be lonely, and she's just happy that way". I guess I was the one who liked to think that way for personal reasons haha

Anyway... like waitressboy said, Universal Mother is PERFECT! I LOVE that album, it gives me chills everytime I listen to it, but I can't take apart from perfection her other albums (except for theology... hard to listen if you are an atheist).

Some of my personal favorite live versions:

I'm not 100% sure about this but I remember Tori said once she likes "Three Babies"

Sinead is one of my favorite singers ever.

I will admit to not really liking much of her output post-Sean Nos-Nua. There are some great songs on She Who Dwells, but it is patchy. I didn't care for Theology at all and didn't bother with her reggae album. The last few times I heard her voice, it made me a little sad--I thought she was sounding a bit rough.

She's one of those artists where I've gone out of my way to track down rarities--B-sides, soundtrack cuts, collaborations, tribute album cuts. She's really recorded quite a bit of material, but it's scattered around. Some of her best tracks are her rarities.

I Do Not Want ... is one of the first CD's I ever bought, and it's the first singer-songwriter album I ever bought. In a way, she was my entry-way into a lot of other artists I adore. Indirectly, I got into Tori Amos through her music. And, seriously, I Do Not Want ... is a staggeringly brilliant album, and it is still one of my favorites.

I do think her output up to and including Gospel Oak is excellent, and I like parts of the albums after that through She Who Dwells. I have a soft spot for Am I Not Your Girl?, which is probably her most divisive record. It's an odd one--it received some horrendous reviews upon its release, and she does sound like she's on qualudes for some of it. That said, most of her interpretations are remarkably tender, vulnerable, and dramatic as hell (in a good way).

My favorite Sinead tracks:

Three Babies
    Feel So Different
    The Butcher Boy
    I Want Your Hands (On Me)
    Sacrifice
    You Made Me the Thief of Your Heart
    Mandika
    The Last Day of Our Acquaintance
    Success Has Made a Failure of Our Home
    John, I Love You
    In This Heart
    Lullaby for Cain
    Gloomy Sunday
    This Is a Rebel Song
    This Is to Mother You
    Fire on Babylon
    Jealous
    Release (with Afro Celt Sound System)
    Big Bunch of Junkie Lies

Also:
    You Make Me Feel So Free
    Fly Me to the Moon
    I'm Not Your Baby (with U2)
    Streets of London
    Peggy Gordon
    Oro Se Do Bheatha Bhaile
    Kingdom of Rain (with The The)
    Up in Arms
    My Special Child

I'm Not Your Baby is so sexy! I it!

Quote Originally Posted by Meowth View Post
    I can't take apart from perfection her other albums (except for theology... hard to listen if you are an atheist).
    Well, that's the biggest problem of Theology. As English is not my mother language and I have to make an extra effort if I want to understand the lyrics without a booklet, it's easier for me to focus only on the music.
    And bloody hell, Theology makes Enya look like a death metal singer. All the songs (and there's a lot of them) sound the same, Sinad sings like she's on zolpidem and the arrangements makes me wanna listen elevator music.
    Theology is another reason for being an atheist.

(I decided I'll listen Universal Mother on my way to college today)
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Icon15

Yeah Theology is her worst record I guess.I have her albums,live stuff,quite everything,and I can't stand that one.I almost forget it.
    The Black Album,if you wanna know her is perfect.A lot of great collaboration,strong covers,a must have.
    Tell me about this collaboration with Ghostland:

My favorite songs are from Universal Mother and Gospel Oak.I love her intensity at that time,a voice even more emotional than the previous ones.
    No need to say,she's one of the most talented artists out there.

Another great collaboration is Tears From the Moon:

Also,I suggest:

Factory Girl(with The Chieftains,immense performance)
    The Dreaming of the Bones
    I Am enough 4 Myself
    One More Day
    Success Has Made A Failure Of Our Home
    A newborn Child
    House of The Rising Sun
    Emma's Song
    Ode To Billy Joe
    Full Circle(McKennitt Cover)
    Ave Maria
    Fire On Babylon(especially live from'99)

But it's hard to choose,really.

Whilst on the subject of live favourites...

Wow.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...-Festival.html

Sinad OConnor will debut her new album Home at the Manchester International Festival from 1-3 July at the Pavillion Theatre.

O'Connor, who will doing some acoustic shows in Europe in May and June, has been working on the album in London and New York in recent months. The Irish singer has been working with Marco Pirroni and John Reynolds on the album which is described as "a guitar based electric album . . .with songs about love".

The 44-year-old rose to fame in the late 1980s with her debut album The Lion and the Cobra and achieved worldwide success in 1990 with a cover of the song Nothing Compares 2 U.

She has provoked controversy with her ordination as a priest and strong views on organised religion, women's rights, war, and child abuse. Her last album was 2007's Theology.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainm...d-2542400.html

(read Joe's piece for Sinead here: http://www.sineadoconnor.com/liner_notes.pdf )

http://www.sineadoconnor.com/
    ^ 2 tracks from 'Home' are up for listening...

Wow, "Take off your shoes" is really good. I don't know why it says FOC187 Mix... Probably this is not the version of the cd, and that would be a shame because this song is amazing.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Stunning Sinad,as a strong Mother in this video.You can see her son Jake.

They're both so beautiful!

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar

Came across a good quality version of the original video for "Troy" tonight.

Now that's a fucking song and a half. This is how you do something with a string orchestra and have it still feel vital 23 years later, even if the video has aged terribly.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howieDae View Post
    Sinad O’Connor will debut her new album Home at the Manchester International Festival from 1-3 July at the Pavillion Theatre.

O'Connor, who will doing some acoustic shows in Europe in May and June, has been working on the album in London and New York in recent months. The Irish singer has been working with Marco Pirroni and John Reynolds on the album which is described as "a guitar based electric album . . .with songs about love".
    Oh! I totally missed this. I'll have to check see when my flights to Manchester are that month, but I've a feeling I'm a week late to catch her at the MIF.

edit. However, this was posted on the site on the 21st:

21.06.11 news from fachtna

'hello everyone, another, long delayed, update for you on sinead's activities, plans, etc. etc. it has been a crazy few weeks since i last posted something so i thought i should fill you in on whats been going on and whats not been going on.

okay, i will get straight to the point; the full length, HOME, has been put back again, til early next year. i know, i know, i know, lots of you will be disappointed, frustrated, maybe some even angry, confused, wondering what the F is up. thats exactly what sinead feels also - especially disappointed and frustrated. she, along with all of you, was looking forward to getting out there in the autumn to play the new material live with a brand new band. however, aspirations are one thing, reality another. there are many companies, large and small, who are very excited by the material they have heard from HOME and there have been a number of proposals from those who would like to be partners in the release/distribution process. comments have ranged from 'this is her comeback record' to 'wow, these songs blow me away' and 'now we're talking, this is sinead as i have always loved to hear her'. there have truly been no negatives.

however, because everything about this record, and the reactions, feels so good, i want to make as sure/certain as possible that the partners we chose are as close to being the correct ones as we can get. and that takes time; for instance, one company was highly enthusiastic, was ready to ensure release in early sept., was engaging in detailed discussions about what would happen in individual territories - all very positive and progressive - and then, when i started to actually negotiate the finer, important details, the company decided to withdraw, meaning the deal on offer was a 'take it or leave it.'

another company was ready and willing and enthusiastic to release but wanted the deal finalised first before it would begin to discuss the, again, finer, important detail of what promotion/marketing/etc. campaigns would be undertaken in individual territories. when i pushed them for that information, i was told i was being 'gnarly' which, of course, met with a short, sharp response!

i am telling you all this stuff so you can get an insight into how things are/can be in the music so called business. we are currently making great progress with a couple of other potential partners but i realised a some time ago that there is no point in trying to get HOME out in, lets say, early september just for the sake of having it out by then. we need the proper relationship with the proper company, this record is too good and too important and it deserves the best possible treatment.

so, whether you are disappointed, frustrated, angry, pissed off, etc., i am sorry - and i really mean i am sorry - but circumstances dictate that we will all have to be a little bit more patient. you know that versions of three of the new songs have been posted on this site for the past while back, some people, i noticed, have even put together clips on youtube to go with, especially, take off your shoes and that is fantastic. please continue to be supportive; as i said, sinead is also disappointed but she understands that difficult decisions are sometimes necessary.

On wed, june 22nds, sinead has the first performance of a small number of summer acoustic shows, it is in sofia in bulgaria and will be followed by moscow on june 24 and st. petersburg on june 26. all the acoustic shows will feature versions of some of the songs from HOME plus a somewhat different set of songs from throughout her career. then she will be rehearsing with the brand new electric band for the three shows in manchester, u.k., on july 1, 2 and 3. they are, thankfully, sold out and it will be great the hear some of the new songs with the full band. details of the remainder of the summer shows are here on the website.

thats it for now, thank you for taking the time to read this post and if anybody is really really really feeling nasty about the postponment of the HOME release you can blame me. okay?'

Last night I dreamed that I ran into Sinead and approached her. We chatted for a long time. It was quite an intimate conversation about life and all that goes with it. She asked for my number, so I gave it to her but woke up before she got the chance to call me!

Too bad about the delay :*(
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

Saw her in concert this Wednesday. It was amazing. She sang three new songs - Reason With Me, The Wolf is Getting Married, and VIP, burst out crying while performing If You Ever, told many stories and what she did with I Am Stretched On Your Grave was chilling. One of the best shows I've been to.

[QUOTE=ebby;135937]Oh! I totally missed this. I'll have to check see when my flights to Manchester are that month, but I've a feeling I'm a week late to catch her at the MIF.

I have tickets! First time seeing her -am rather looking forward to next wknd!

I'm a huge huge fan of The Lion and the Cobra, but I've never really listened to any of her other stuff. I guess I Do Not Want... is the next place I should go?