Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Skincare Q & A

THERE'S A SNAKE IN MY BOOT Stumpy's Avatar

Skincare Q & A

I loathe to make a thread for just one problem so perhaps we should have a general Q&A where we can put our skin problems to the knowledge of the masses?

For me, mine toes the line between Health and Beauty. My hormones have recently gone MENTAL and aside from all sorts of crazy my body is doing to me (most of which I can control), my skin has also gotten crazy oily. This has been going on for about 6 months and I'm at the end of my tether. Nothing has changed re: my regime, I am washing daily, in the morning with Clique oil absorbing and in the evening with Garnier spot prevention stuff, I tone (I was using alcohol free but have now gotten some alcohol stuff to see what difference that makes) and moisturise with Oil of olay which I've been using for years. I have been using emergency No.7. moisturiser this week but it just seems to make it worse. I exfoliate and use a face mask twice a week.

Anyone got any advice? Would taking something like Primrose Oil help me out? It is driving me MENTAL.

Similar things happened to me after turning 30. I never had oily skin or suffered from acne. I've dealt with dry skin most of my life so having oily skin on my face was totally foreign to me. I started breaking out a lot and most were deep pimples that lasted forever. I tried a good many oily skin/acne treatments and none helped. I stumbled on the Oil of Olay Definity Line and it did wonders for my skin. Wonders. I use the Olay Definity Illuminating Cream Cleanser, Olay Definity Deep Penetrating Foaming UV Moisturizer - Fragrance Free and Olay Definity Night Restorative Sleep Cream. No more oily skin and the acne flare ups have completely stopped.

Skin definitely changes with age so it could just be time to try new product. Trying to find the right ones is a major pain in the ass though.

I'm not quiet...I'm plotting. Abi's Avatar
    This might sound CRAZY, but you've recently moved, right? Is there a difference in the quality of your tap water?

I need to learn to read...you said 6 months!

Ooh, good to hear this; I've been wanting to try that line and just waiting to hear from a non-advertising source that it's really that good! Thanks!

edit: I didn't click "reply with quote" and meant this in response to bear's post. Oops.

Sadly, I never found the solution to oily skin other than growing out of that stage altogether.

My issue now is that if I don't moisturize right after I wash my skin gets so tight and uncomfortable. Almost painful. Only one moisturizer works for me right now, and it's LUSH, so it's $$$$$ to maintain a stash of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    I exfoliate and use a face mask twice a week.
    Maybe you're doing too much? I was always told not to exfoliate/use a mask more than once a week because it will make oily skin even more oily. Same thing with products that contain alcohol; they dry your skin more than needed and then your skin produces even more oil to compensate.

I do know that dealing with my rosacea problems, I just had to learn to be patient with it.

I can really feel that my skin needs a twice weekly detox though, I can almost feel the dead cells sitting there otherwise! I've heard the same thing but think I've struck a decent balance.

Re: Growing out of it. I did! All through my teens I had oily skin, then it went away, now it's back with a vengence. So rude. Also, Jeth, I've heard that if your skin feels really tight after you've washed it then you're using too harsh a face wash..?

bear - thank you! I am due to get some new moisturiser soon so may have a look into that range. I've used Olay for a lot of years and like them a fair bit.

Sadly, I am allergic to Olay.

Just to add...oily skin responds well to lavender. The reason why I asked about your tap water is that when I moved house once my skin went insane oily. I spritzed lavender water over my face (a good refresher too...I kept a pump spray in my bag) every so often and it was sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by jeth View Post
    Only one moisturizer works for me right now, and it's LUSH, so it's $$$$$ to maintain a stash of it.
    Which one are you using? If you're not using a toner, I'd recommend it, since it allows better coverage with less moisturiser, so it lasts longer. Doesn't have to be Lush, obvs, but I don't have experience with anything else.

re: amount of exfoliation needed. The oiler your skin, the more you can exfoliate, I think, but yes, going overboard can be TOO stimulating. Dry skins should stick to once a week, oilier or normal skins can go upward of that. And always pay attention to how strong the exfoliant is and how vigorous you're being.

Oily skin does respond well to lavender! Combo skin too. It helps regulate sebum production.

My skin is pretty messy and it'll oil up quite a bit once in a while, but it's vastly improved from a couple of years ago so I'm a lot happier with it. My current set-up is Herbalism, Tea Tree Water, Imperialus (Cosmetic Lad if my skin's sore after shaving, but this can oil me up), but obvs I might be experimenting and moving away from Lush stuff in a few months. WE SHALL SEE.

Lavender is CHEAP. I like that! I will definitely give that a try.

I'm not gonna lose myself again
    Where does one get lavender? Are we talking like the essential oil, or something else? I'm all over that idea. *still breaks out at 29*

The essential oil, yeah. Not sure where you'd buy it on its own, but I imagine it'd last an age since you'd not need a lot of it. Keep your eyes peeled for products that contain it!

You can buy ready made Lavender Spritz in Boots.

I used the essential oil diluted in water. I kept one bottle in my bag and one in the fridge.

Any face wash makes my skin tight. I honestly think it's just really dry in this house because I did not have the same problem in my old apartment.

I'm using Paradise Regained. I got a free one last summer during a store party, and once I tried it I was hooked. Nothing else works for me. It's $47 a pop. I use it very, very sparingly, and thankfully a little does go a very long way.

Quote Originally Posted by jeth View Post
    I'm using Paradise Regained. I got a free one last summer during a store party, and once I tried it I was hooked. Nothing else works for me. It's $47 a pop. I use it very, very sparingly, and thankfully a little does go a very long way.
    I feel your pain. I got a full tube of YSL Instant Pur Gommage sans grain for about £2.00 at a bootsale ages ago. It's amazing and I never really used it regularly until now. My tube is now empty and I can't afford the £40+ price tag.