Page 633 of 633 FirstFirst ... 133533583623631632633
Results 9,481 to 9,487 of 9487

Thread: Random Tori Chatter (oooilllll spiiiilllllllll)

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    Does he also wear a fedora and address you as "M'lady"? Just trying to rule something out...

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zell View Post
    I am not sure if it is because of the rhythm. For Precious Things, the song surely is 4/4 structure-wise, but somehow it sounds like 3-3-3-3-4 ... I wonder if this gives a sense of Tori catching up with the band
    Is it really 4/4? I'm trying to count it while listening to this song, but I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Zell View Post
    I am not sure if it is because of the rhythm. For Precious Things, the song surely is 4/4 structure-wise, but somehow it sounds like 3-3-3-3-4 ... I wonder if this gives a sense of Tori catching up with the band
    That’s interesting. I know no musical theory, can barely keep a beat to save my life (I mean, I have some rhythm; I can generally figure out a guitar-strumming pattern, and I’ve started to play around with chords on the piano, but I pretty much have to get the song in my head first before I can figure out the rhythm or whatever), but “it sounds like 3-3-3-3-4” reminds me of “So I ran faster... / running after Billy...,” which is so cool and fitting. The song sort of should sound like it’s reaching for the next part, so I can see why someone might think it “sounds” as if the band is struggling to keep up to a person who isn’t listening to the words and just doesn’t get that. But I also think that’s a pretty shallow and short-sighted way to listen to music (“Its in 4/4, so it's boring, and—see!—she can’t get the timing right...”). Maybe you should show him videos. More context.

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    I also think that there's nothing bad in simplicity. 4/4 doesn't mean cheap or bad. Anyway, I prefer my Tori in 6/8.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    People who listen to music that way are usually autistic. Musicians: just play whatcha want, whenya want.

Precious Things is in 4/4 but the sixteenth notes are grouped in 3s until the last beat of each measure which is grouped in the usual four, which gives it a weirdly syncopated rhythm. You can't subdivide it the usual way unless you pay very close attention.
    Sometimes I think the so-called "experts" actually are experts.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylon View Post
    Precious Things is in 4/4 but the sixteenth notes are grouped in 3s until the last beat of each measure which is grouped in the usual four, which gives it a weirdly syncopated rhythm. You can't subdivide it the usual way unless you pay very close attention.
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!