Page 693 of 694 FirstFirst ... 193593643683691692693694 LastLast
Results 10,381 to 10,395 of 10397

Thread: Random Tori Chatter (oooilllll spiiiilllllllll)

Quote Originally Posted by toriMODE View Post
    I never knew Suede wasn't solo on this boot.
    Suede is solo - it’s played on a keyboard, so not solo piano, solo keyboard. The keyboard was brought out just for that one song (I was there) the rest of the time only the Bosendorfer was on stage apart from a standalone microphone at the side of the stage where she started with MAAG and then walked over to the piano.

I guess I don't remember because I haven't listened to that boot in forever. Good to know.

It's keboard solo with programmed loops, like in this performance:

"If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

So I need unf's help.

My partner is curious about getting more into Tori, so I would like to show them some of T's best live performances. I'm thinking i i e e e (Sessions), Time and Father Lucifer on Letterman... and... that's pretty much all I can think of. I know there are a lot of people here who know FAR more about live performances, and I would greatly appreciate any recommendations. (I'd try the Tori YouTube thread but the great performances must be either not included in there because they're obvious or just lost in the pages upon pages of videos.) Something from Strange Little Webcast, perhaps? Winter from Montreux? Hey Jupiter from Le Poisson Rouge? I need guidance!

I'd preferably want professionally recorded performances, and a wide variety of set-ups to showcase versatility (piano-only, harpsichord, keyobards, band, solo, etc.) would be nice.

What would you all consider to be Tori in top form?

Thanks in advance to any help anyone may provide!

I had two straight guy friends get into Tori after watching her play Rattlesnakes on TV, either Leno or Letterman. They were impressed by the dual keyboard thing.

Does your partner care for any of her music? Curious if he’d like “safer” stuff or the more kooky stuff. For instance, there are several fairly good audience recordings from DDI but that was Tori at her weirdest IMO. Then you have 2001 - 2003 which is more straightforward.

Yes. They love love love Native Invader (Climb in particular)—it was one of those right time right place listen for them—and a few more of her straightforward things. Carbon, your cloud. But they're interested in "getting" her so to speak hahaha. They're also into things like Björk and Fever Ray, and other more experimental music so I'm sure they wouldn't mind "weird" Tori at all, and could come to appreciate it.

I'll check out Rattlesnakes! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jacob's room View Post

I'd preferably want professionally recorded performances, and a wide variety of set-ups to showcase versatility (piano-only, harpsichord, keyobards, band, solo, etc.) would be nice.

I usually go with MTV Unplugged, it’s a great selection of classic songs and gets both the piano and harpsichord in there, and she’s in top form vocally and playing wise. It also starts right off with an amazing Cornflake Girl and closes with Voodoo with Caton (the “I know she’s not that foxy boys” part is so damn good). I also think that’s probably my all time favorite version of Silent All These Years, it’s just really solid.

Quote Originally Posted by jacob's room View Post
    So I need unf's help.

My partner is curious about getting more into Tori, so I would like to show them some of T's best live performances. I'm thinking i i e e e (Sessions), Time and Father Lucifer on Letterman... and... that's pretty much all I can think of. I know there are a lot of people here who know FAR more about live performances, and I would greatly appreciate any recommendations. (I'd try the Tori YouTube thread but the great performances must be either not included in there because they're obvious or just lost in the pages upon pages of videos.) Something from Strange Little Webcast, perhaps? Winter from Montreux? Hey Jupiter from Le Poisson Rouge? I need guidance!

The TBK era is not something I would recommend at all, except for this performance:

When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEP View Post
    I usually go with MTV Unplugged, it’s a great selection of classic songs and gets both the piano and harpsichord in there, and she’s in top form vocally and playing wise. It also starts right off with an amazing Cornflake Girl and closes with Voodoo with Caton (the “I know she’s not that foxy boys” part is so damn good). I also think that’s probably my all time favorite version of Silent All These Years, it’s just really solid.

Hearing CALS on the radio in '96 and then later watching the Unplugged performance on MTV was monumental in my purchasing Boys for Pele later that summer. I'm sure Tori eventually would've shown up on my radar, but those things were absolutely responsible for turning me into a fan.

girlfriend, you are so on Octopussy's Avatar
    If they're already into weird music, then just go for it and show them some videos of RAINN '97

In particular...
    Little Orgasm err I mean Amsterdam
    The Waitress (WOW)
    Cornflake Girl (who wouldn't love the dance)
    Little Earthquakes (WOW again)
    Upside Down
    Caught a Lite Sneeze
    Pretty Good Year

*Skip Winter and Precious Things with the "wash me clean daddy" stuff which was disturbing and not in a good way

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post

*Skip Winter and Precious Things with the "wash me clean daddy" stuff which was disturbing and not in a good way
    No, if he is into weirdness, then he needs to see PT .

girlfriend, you are so on Octopussy's Avatar
    ^ perhaps!! but Little Amsterdam is more playfully crazy.... her eyes rolling back in her head and the "yes said", it's an utter classic

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEP View Post
    I usually go with MTV Unplugged, it’s a great selection of classic songs and gets both the piano and harpsichord in there, and she’s in top form vocally and playing wise.
    And she looks absolutely gorgeous, and is very charming and warm and alive.

Ok so I think I'll start them off with Unplugged and a couple of TV performances. Do iieee and Sneeze from Sessions, and then I'll know if I should move onto the RAINN concert or go to Scarlet performances haha

Thanks, everyone!

Has anyone else listened to the new FKA Twigs album Magdalene?

There's some serious Tori vibes going on. Songs like 'Mary Magdalene' (l mean thematically, lyrically, and vocally) ... and seriously if Fallen Alien isn't entirely a homage to demon/pele Tori, then I must be going crazy.

Pitchfork suggest the reference point to be Kate Bush, Bjork and David Bowie ... but nice to see others have given Tori's influence a clearer call out.

https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/...igs-Magdalene/
    Last edited by hey j.; Yesterday at 09:51 AM.