Page 690 of 692 FirstFirst ... 190590640680688689690691692 LastLast
Results 10,336 to 10,350 of 10367

Thread: Random Tori Chatter (oooilllll spiiiilllllllll)

2 years since Native Invader. I wonder if we will hear any news of new music soon. Seems about that time....
    Also I would bet that she is not goingvto want to tour during winter again like last time. She was sick for a good chunk of the US leg. I predict late summer tour.
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunter Fartlett View Post
    Was listening to the new Perfume Genius song "Eye in the Wall." And I was like "this sounds so familiar. I've heard this before." Then I thought "holy shit, that's the exact beat Matt Chamberlain played in the Professional Widow version played during Tori's wardrobe change during the ADP tour.

It is. I swear it.

Interesting. Even crazier to me is that Tori performed "Professional Widow (It's Gotta Be Big)." I had no idea she did that. Was it just once?
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

girlfriend, you are so on Octopussy's Avatar
    I thought the new Perfume Genius sounded like a Radiohead club remix, but yeah now that beat seems a little uncanny.

Ive known about this group but never knew they covered this. It’s a bit of a mess (like most of their stuff) but interesting at least. I would be down for more dark electro/witch house Tori covers though.

Quote Originally Posted by SloppyJane View Post
    Interesting. Even crazier to me is that Tori performed "Professional Widow (It's Gotta Be Big)." I had no idea she did that. Was it just once?
    No, it was performed each show by Matt and John with a backing vocal track between Doll/Tori and sets, while she changed her costume and wig.

I tried to find any mention of this by Mike (perfume genius) and I saw that on his instagram, he hashtagged #mattchamberlain on his post announcing the song (it says "spice by #mattchamberlain.) I see no other mention of the sampled beat or Tori.
    So I'm assuming it is the drum beat used.

I don't know how he could've sampled a live recording like that... I'm thinking Matt Chamberlain actually played on the track. PG is a big time Tori fan so that must be awesome for him!

It is him - it’s listed in the discography section of Matt’s wiki page.

Tori came up in this interview with Jade Bird.

https://theboot.com/jade-bird-interview-2019/

The record is so diverse, too. You could go in so many different directions going forward.

Exactly, yeah. I wanted to leave every door open, in a way. I didn't want to close myself in to being either Americana or blues or pop. 'Cause that's not me. I feel like I'm a songwriter first, and that means maneuvering through genres. I'm 21. I'm very young, and I need to explore and develop that. And all the artists I admire, like Beck or Tori Amos or Patti Smith, they went wherever [inspiration] took them. I definitely feel like I'd be suitable for the same lane, in that respect.

I'm a big Tori Amos fan too, and when you look at her career and where she started and then where she's gone, she's explored so many different musical outlets, detours and sounds. She's definitely one that's really done something incredible, because the songs matter. The bones of the songs are there.

I'm absolutely obsessed with Tori Amos at the moment. I just think she's a classic artist. When I found her I was like, "Oh my goodness. She's a genius." I think when you discover acts like her, you realize that it's not about being a genre, it's something entirely different.

Tori Amos always talks about whatever the muse is telling her at a specific time, that's where she goes. And that's served her well. That's such an instructive way of looking at creativity too.

You want to try and get whatever you say and your voice as clear as possible. You do that by continuing on the road. At the start I did the EP, Something American, and I was very much a product of my influences. And then, slowly, I started to write, like, "Lottery" and "If I Die" and "Side Effects," which is really just coming from the horse's mouth, you know? It's coming from me and my head, and my brain, not because I'm trying to, indirectly or directly, sound like anything else.

Matt played drums on that Perfume Genius track.
    My face screams without an emotion

Loren Haynes posted a story about working with Tori on TVAB, which is at its 20th anniversary.

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?s...35516853164798

^ fascinating about Bliss being written based on his visuals.
    She’s said the same about AATS being inspired by the ADP visuals, and Garlands and much of the Beekeeper being inspired by visual arts. And Geraldine.
    Robbing the muse...

an island of such great complexity justin's Avatar
    they actually do a halfway decent cover of cloud on my tongue (the end is the best part).

http://elocine.net/this-new-ocean/miscellaneous/

Was reading internet chatter from around the time Ys by Joanna Newsom came out and was struck by a comment stating that most of her fans wouldn't be caught dead buying a Tori Amos CD, and I had to laugh because it's true (surely I wasn't the only one who felt dirty buying TBK at Best Buy)! The mid-00's were the nadir of Tori's career and it was a traumatic experience for all of us, but Newsom is the first artist I think of when I think "who is the successor" of Tori Amos and most people don't get it because Tori is seen as a firmly 90's alternative artist whereas JN is undeniably a genius or whatever.

But the fanbase and the love of her work is similar. The only other concert I've been to where I was surrounded by sobs and tears flowing as audience members experienced such a deep connection to the music was Tori when the second song was Little Earthquakes in 2003....and Joanna when it was Anecdotes a week ago.

There's no point to this. I just think it's funny how once upon a time critics and their brethren used Tori as shorthand for dismissing an artist for being embarrassing and overwrought but she's now become synonymous with longetivity and adoration.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    She was still charting damn well in the middle '00s. But you're right.. it took it's toll. I only listen to one Joanna Newsom song. If she made a new album I'd probably never hear about it.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

This User Is Really Gay jasonhicks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beelust View Post
    ^ fascinating about Bliss being written based on his visuals.
    She’s said the same about AATS being inspired by the ADP visuals, and Garlands and much of the Beekeeper being inspired by visual arts. And Geraldine.
    I feel like an idiot. All this time I thought Loren was a woman *facepalm*
    we're two slow dancers, last ones out