Page 703 of 704 FirstFirst ... 203603653693701702703704 LastLast
Results 10,531 to 10,545 of 10556

Thread: Random Tori Chatter (oooilllll spiiiilllllllll)

that essay was extremely well-written. whoever wrote it clearly knows their Tori history.

this intro alone had me hooked

It's March 1994. Tori Amos, Björk, and Polly Harvey have assembled, on the behest of Q, at a photo studio in Islington for a joint interview. Amos is fresh off a UK No 1 with her second LP Under The Pink and is on the eve of a mammoth solo world tour, Björk is beginning to form ideas for her second album having sold half a million copies of Debut, and Harvey has not long put out the raw, feverish 4-Track Demos having disbanded the original trio that brought acclaim on two records called Dry and Rid Of Me. Björk and Harvey performed a curious version of The Rolling Stones' '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction' together at the BRIT Awards a couple of weeks ago, where Björk won Best International Newcomer. In short, they gave, as the Q article proclaims, "spooky, left-field major label weirdness back its good name". Three beacons in the male-dominated post-grunge landscape of the early 90s.
    I also really appreciated the thoughts about American Doll Posse and what an interesting and also frustrating point of her career that was.

At its best, American Doll Posse is a riot of fun, spunk, and imagination, at its worst – like many a kaleidoscopic double album before it – sprawling, messy, and unfocused.

And there's the rub with post-Millennium Amos. Where her prior albums were purposeful, bold and clear in direction, the post-Scarlet's Walk albums sometimes found themselves lost in a maze of indecision. Where Amos made her mark with her frankness and openness, her new records were couched in complex concepts that, if anything, detracted from the music. That is absolutely her right, and who can blame her? By this point, Amos and her producer husband Hawley had a young daughter and if she thought, 'hang on a minute, I don't want to be quite so (outwardly) open anymore', you can hardly begrudge her.

But there was a sneaking suspicion that a slow kind of rot was setting in; past the era of two-part CD singles, Amos threw all of her material onto bursting 80-minute discs – would more judicious editing have done something to enhance the reputation of a record like The Beekeeper? Where the production of albums like Choirgirl and her wonderfully creative covers LP Strange Little Girls was rich and textured, her newer records sounded muffled, dry, comparatively lifeless. (Delectable rockers like 'Body And Soul' and 'Code Red', from Posse, are just begging to pop that little bit more.) She was recording her albums every other summer at home in Cornwall, with the same team and the same musicians. Under The Pink had taken on some of the energy and surroundings of the hacienda in Taos where it was made; Boys For Pele the acoustics and atmosphere of the Irish church and damp Georgian house of its conception; all of these records with the different musicians weaving in and out. Amos, even while still on a major label (Sony since 2002), was now something of a cottage industry working out of Martian Engineering in the rural South-West. When does a cottage industry become a prison?

https://thequietus.com/articles/2826...ll-these-years
    Last edited by MikeEP; 05-22-2020 at 05:00 PM.

Loved reading that yesterday
    So many points made echoed comments I may have made or read here over the years.

Was going to say who here wrote this?!
    "this way, that way, i am of two minds" -sappho
    http://classicpersuasion.org/pw/sappho/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by eresos View Post
    So many points made echoed comments I may have made or read here over the years.

It really does read as a goodbye to the forums.

Wow...that essay was really informative and really well written from someone who clearly knows their stuff.it was structured well and cohesive but perhaps the best thing about it was that it was fair to Tori and offered good reason as to why she decided to do things in a certain way and perhaps, being at Martian for so long now has affected the way she produces work(but her work of late from NOH to NI has been great in general)..spot on about certain albums perhaps requiring better production and not needing to cram so many songs on one record........maybe with the new team at Decca and Tori's life experiences of late we will get THE album of her life....personally, i think we are gonna get a really GREAT work..!!!

Since UG was announced, I've been rooting for an album with only piano and voice. And this is a great moment to do it. No Tash, no Husband playing guitar, no synths, no organ. Just Tori and piano. It's almost a concept during this moment of quarantine.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    Since UG was announced, I've been rooting for an album with only piano and voice. And this is a great moment to do it. No Tash, no Husband playing guitar, no synths, no organ. Just Tori and piano. It's almost a concept during this moment of quarantine.
    This is a lovely idea...just piano and vocals....i'd love to hear this one day but personally i'd love an album with other instruments involved this time( string quartet, cello, french horn for example)...but the quarantine might make it difficult(i'm aware she could get the other musicians to record their parts in isolation but she seemed to be looking forward to having a jam in Cornwall!).....i feel it would definitely be easier for Tori to write and record at Martian Alone,without having to think about arrangements of other instruments on the songs....i can't see her NOT using Mark and his playing of late has been better imho!

Both interesting points.
    An intimate full album of just her could speak to the moment, but I also agree that at this point for her and where she’s coming from, past two albums mostly just her & she’s at a place where she may really want to put down sounds with others

I also love the idea of that piece as a perfect goodbye to the forum, somewhat of a comprehensive thesis of all the chatter, chatter, chatter
    "this way, that way, i am of two minds" -sappho
    http://classicpersuasion.org/pw/sappho/index.htm

your veil is quietly becoming none roominmyheart's Avatar
    I honestly don't see her playing alone/sans family now, as much as I want it. I suspect we might hear Tash's boyfriend Oliver playing some jazz on it now, the four of them might be playing music together since there is not much else to do?

Quote Originally Posted by roominmyheart View Post
    I honestly don't see her playing alone/sans family now, as much as I want it. I suspect we might hear Tash's boyfriend Oliver playing some jazz on it now, the four of them might be playing music together since there is not much else to do?
    Yes,like you i have been wondering if Tori might ask Tash's musician boyfriend to play bass on the album,considering these circumstances...she did say very recently that he had introduced her to more styles of jazz ..so this could lead to fresh influences for her.

your veil is quietly becoming none roominmyheart's Avatar
    I wouldn't mind. I like her jazzy songs. More Purple People!

Purple People is fantastic with a superb melody and cool lyrics.....more of this style would be fab!!!

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    The voice/piano tracks from UG are the best songs she's released in AGES so I would love more of that.

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eresos View Post

I do believe it was written by menju! Not sure if he still posts here or not.
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    The voice/piano tracks from UG are the best songs she's released in AGES so I would love more of that.
    Where is that?!
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

^ I believe Owen his referring to:

Weatherman
    Selkie
    2nd half of Unrepentant Geraldines
    Oysters
    Invisible Boy
    Forest of Glass
    Dixie

And I agree - they are all among my Tori favourites since Scarlet really.
    I see myself sort of as a small to medium vineyard. And they usually don't sell as much as the screw-top wine down in Safeway. But I don't make wine for Safeway. God bless Safeway. If I am a winemaker I am not going to make screw-top wine ~ Tori Amos