Page 635 of 637 FirstFirst ... 135535585625633634635636637 LastLast
Results 9,511 to 9,525 of 9552

Thread: Random Tori Chatter (oooilllll spiiiilllllllll)

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    Also Kevyn is deceased so.....????

I think someone keeps being your godparent after they're dead. It's not like a real parent stops being a parent when they pass.
    Sometimes I think the so-called "experts" actually are experts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Actually, it didn't do horribly in terms of actual album sales - it went to No. 9 on the Billboard Top Album Sales chart (which back in the day used to be the main chart). However, these days the actual Billboard 200 chart combines sales and streaming, obviously favoring artists preferred by younger people. And let's be honest, the percentage of faerie wingers younger than 30 is negligible at this point.
    *I* was only kidding I think all of her regular albums have made the top 10 in sales. Which, for someone low-budget/pseudo-independent like Tori, is PRETTY GOOD.

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    *I* was only kidding I think all of her regular albums have made the top 10 in sales. Which, for someone low-budget/pseudo-independent like Tori, is PRETTY GOOD.
    https://www.billboard.com/music/tori...billboard-200/

Little Earthquakes, Under the Pink, To Venus and Back, Night of Hunters, and Native Invader all didn't. But Native Invader would have been #9 if just sales were taken into consideration.

your veil is quietly becoming none roominmyheart's Avatar
    Oh, I honestly don't know!

I think for Tori the top 10 for physical sales is still important - she even recognized it on Facebook/instagram etc. when Native Invader was number 9 (not including digital sales). I think she and her record company are still interested in giving fans hardcopy albums as much as they can (because those buyers often purchase both digital and hardcopies).

The Billboard site also recognizes NI at number 9 for album sales:
    https://www.billboard.com/music/tori...s/song/1044767
    Robbing the muse...

Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    https://www.billboard.com/music/tori...billboard-200/

Little Earthquakes, Under the Pink, To Venus and Back, Night of Hunters, and Native Invader all didn't. But Native Invader would have been #9 if just sales were taken into consideration.
    Earthquakes & Pink I can understand. Venus was a double CD on top of the CD singles coming out a month before the album. Night of Hunters, I wouldn't count tbh. It wasn't even promoted like a regular "pop" album (as they call it)

So there's a reason for those, at least! That's still pretty great that she is able to make first week sales like that.

Not sure if this got posted yet. Sady Doyle discusses "Boys for Pele" on Jeremy Dylan's "My Favorite Album" podcast: https://jeremydylan.net/podcast/j973...8wlmawhyw6gyw6

Quote Originally Posted by Beelust View Post
    I think for Tori the top 10 for physical sales is still important - she even recognized it on Facebook/instagram etc. when Native Invader was number 9 (not including digital sales). I think she and her record company are still interested in giving fans hardcopy albums as much as they can (because those buyers often purchase both digital and hardcopies).

The Billboard site also recognizes NI at number 9 for album sales:
    https://www.billboard.com/music/tori...s/song/1044767
    Actually, that number includes digital album sales. It's streaming that's not included. If songs from that album are streamed 1500 times in the US, it's considered an "album-equivalent unit" - basically, for charting purposes, it's as if someone had bought a physical or digital copy of that album. They all add up. If an album is very popular with the younger crowd, who are far more likely to use a streaming service, this can compensate for lackluster sales or simply give it an edge in the charts. For older artists, whose fans are far more likely to buy a physical copy or at least an iTunes version, this is detrimental in terms of ranking. It even happened to Madonna - Rebel Heart topped the album sales chart, but was No. 2 on the Billboard 200.

an island of such great complexity justin's Avatar
    pretty great podcast review of under the pink:

http://www.deepercutspodcast.com/201...the-pink-1994/

Sometimes, the best advice you can follow is: shut up and listen. That way you learn more, particularly about the stories of others that often remain hidden from you, yet are vital to know and understand. During a period of discovery for Rob around the issues of feminism and the burdens placed on women by our culture, Tori Amos’ 1994 Under the Pink album served as his primary soundtrack. What role did the songs play in his journey? How do the Deeper Cuts trio react to the record, and how are the issues to which it alludes very much apply 24 (eek!) years later? Find out in this week’s episode.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Under the Pink is her biggest selling record, isn't it? Didn't peak high but it sold long.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Tori was Kevyn's favorite artist. In Margaret Cho's book Assassin she writes about Kevyn and Tori's relationship. It's been such a long time since I read that book but I think she even says something about how much he'd have loved Tori's version of Rattlesnakes if he was still alive.

Margaret wrote that when she arrives to NYC the first thing she thinks about is Kevyn. They also got to be in the same episode of Sex and The City : The Real Me.
    So I really enjoyed that. It was beautiful for me because it was the last night that I got to hang out with the wonderful and of course now sadly gone Kevyn Aucoin who passed away after that. So it was a great chance for he and I to really be together for the last time. We didn’t even know it was going to be the last time. I always look back really strongly on that experience and think of him, and I think about how great that show is. So I would love to do a movie. We’ll see.
    site:http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
    Last edited by Volta; 07-12-2018 at 01:33 AM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

I was listening to some Alan Cross podcasts today while at work. He's pretty big in Southern Ontario as an alternative music historian and he does a show called "The Ongoing History of New Music" that airs on rock stations throughout Canada and online in Podcast form. He tackles any and every subject and artists from alt rock from the mid 70's through to today without much prejudice. The episodes I listened to today included a multi part series on the 1990's and another called The Alt Rock Queens of Quirk. Tori was mentioned quite thoroughly in both episodes. Both times he played Crucify. Was probably the first time Crucify was played on a regular alt rock radio station in over 15 years at least.

His 10 Queens of Alt Rock Quirk were
    1) Patti Smith
    2) Kate Bush
    3) Lene Lovich
    4) Nena
    5) Tori Amos
    6) Bjork
    7) PJ Harvey
    8) Florence Welch
    9) Courtney Barnett
    10) tUnEyArDs

The 90's episode had a chapter on fearless woman from the 90's and Tori was included again.

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    The Kevyn documentary was beautiful and Tori was really real in it. She said towards the end something like "He would have come to us in a heart beat, he would have rented a private jet if we needed him, and we didn't give him that in return." There was also a part where he is filming his niece made over and lip syncing to Caught a Lite Sneeze. Definitely recommend it if you get the chance to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBK View Post
    I was listening to some Alan Cross podcasts today while at work. He's pretty big in Southern Ontario as an alternative music historian and he does a show called "The Ongoing History of New Music" that airs on rock stations throughout Canada and online in Podcast form. He tackles any and every subject and artists from alt rock from the mid 70's through to today without much prejudice. The episodes I listened to today included a multi part series on the 1990's and another called The Alt Rock Queens of Quirk. Tori was mentioned quite thoroughly in both episodes. Both times he played Crucify. Was probably the first time Crucify was played on a regular alt rock radio station in over 15 years at least.

His 10 Queens of Alt Rock Quirk were
    1) Patti Smith
    2) Kate Bush
    3) Lene Lovich
    4) Nena
    5) Tori Amos
    6) Bjork
    7) PJ Harvey
    8) Florence Welch
    9) Courtney Barnett
    10) tUnEyArDs

The 90's episode had a chapter on fearless woman from the 90's and Tori was included again.
    That list... a highly contentious category already, but the last 3 are just... tsk tsk. (Courtney Barnett is the most unlistenable pretentious female-equivalent-of-neckbeard shit artist OMG I SAID IT)

I'm not watching this Kevyn documentary without tissues and sedatives because it's gonna be ALL THE FEELS.