Page 586 of 593 FirstFirst ... 86486536576584585586587588 ... LastLast
Results 8,776 to 8,790 of 8894

Thread: Random Tori Chatter (oooilllll spiiiilllllllll)

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    Me and a Gun - inciting incident
    Peeping Tommi - trying to function in a relationship, trying to be open and willing, trying to move past the trauma
    Baker Baker - dissolution of said relationship

The biggest lyrical link between Peeping Tommi and Baker Baker is this:

PT:
    "don't run away from me now
    don't run away from me now"

BB:
    "you came to make sure that I'm not running
    well I ran from him in all kinds of ways
    guess it was his turn this time"

Precious Things has a running theme too. I am now thinking of all the songs she's written with running/run themes and words in them now...

Me and a Gun - Peeping Tommi - Lust (live solo) is my Healing of the Wound trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Me and a Gun - inciting incident
    Peeping Tommi - trying to function in a relationship, trying to be open and willing, trying to move past the trauma
    Baker Baker - dissolution of said relationship

The biggest lyrical link between Peeping Tommi and Baker Baker is this:

PT:
    "don't run away from me now
    don't run away from me now"

BB:
    "you came to make sure that I'm not running
    well I ran from him in all kinds of ways
    guess it was his turn this time"
    Wow, i never thought it of it that way. Really nice interpretation.

Reading all this song interpretation has me READY for a new Tori album. I think we'll hear of something soon.

an island of such great complexity justin's Avatar
    forgive me if this has been mentioned before, (as it apparently started airing over a year ago), but i just discovered the 'drive all night' podcast, which focuses on one tori song per episode, in chronological order.

i'm only halfway through the little earthquakes episodes right now, but i think it's pretty interesting – even though i consider myself pretty schooled when it comes to tori, i've actually learned a thing or two from the dialogue...

Dixie is so beautiful. It captures that love a child feels from their mother, perfectly.

It also reminds me I won't have my mum forever and to cherish her.
    They say you were something in those formative years...

Tori Amos is an amazing person! Was just watching the '99 Live in Las Vegas show on YouTube and stunned at how amazing she is - - - then realize that she was my age right now (36/37). She has so much energy and passion! Now I feel like a lazy loaf...
    Robbing the muse...

I know this version of Me and a Gun is loved by many and also hated by many - but here is a close up version I found on YouTube. This makes me like it even more to see what she does with the knife and see her facial expressions more clearly. Fascinating, incredible and brave performance IMO.

And this quick 2014 interview shows she loves Mark ("my husband is amazing") and he helped her through her shit:
    Last edited by Beelust; 03-25-2017 at 01:38 AM.
    Robbing the muse...

Was listen to Sucker and Walk To Dublin tonight and it occurred to me that the official lyrics to WTD are wrong. On the official site they have it listed as "For those that laughed are described both as drinking as a dog". That doesn't make sense because the test was to separate soldiers who lapped water from their cupped hands from those who drank directly from a steam with their mouths. I looked it up to make sure and it doesn't say anything about soldiers laughing. And now I can hear her saying "lapped" instead of "laughed". It's in Judges 7:5.

I'm sure someone has already pointed this out, but if not, there it is.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beelust View Post
    I know this version of Me and a Gun is loved by many and also hated by many - but here is a close up version I found on YouTube. This makes me like it even more to see what she does with the knife and see her facial expressions more clearly. Fascinating, incredible and brave performance IMO.

I agree completely. I think it was very important for her.

And this quick 2014 interview shows she loves Mark ("my husband is amazing") and he helped her through her shit:
    [/QUOTE]

Aw. Well, I hate his creative input but as someone with diagnosed PTSD (from other things) who has someone in my life who helped me not descend into unhealthy patterns, and was patient with me while I healed, I get what she's saying. I wish he'd leave the studio though. I don't let my husband write my damn plays.

There's an article in the Guardian today about Stock, Aitken and Waterman and this quote from it made me think of Yo George, and the "Can you, Mister Bush, light the sage?" from IS.

I would never use a swearword or phrase that date-stamps your music. I’m always trying to write a classic, so if it gets date-stamped, you’re in trouble.
    Whole article here: https://www.theguardian.com/music/mu...gwriters-kylie
    A mighty pain to love it is, and 'tis a pain that pain to miss;
    but of all the pains, the greatest pain is to love, but love in vain.

your veil is quietly becoming none roominmyheart's Avatar
    Though to be fair, she's done that a lot in other songs we all love. CDs in PGY, "the bomb" in Spark, etc. But yes, the songs that call out president names feel for me that they are no longer relevant once their term is over. Creedence Clearwater Revival's protest songs always come to my mind - and I can still enjoy them decades after the war because they are not so specific in their lyrics.

I am guilty of referring to great things as the bomb to this day 💣💥

Because of the bomb/spark connection it doesn't bother me at all. Hearing her sing about her posse and hootchies on the other hand...