Page 632 of 649 FirstFirst ... 132532582622630631632633634642 ... LastLast
Results 9,466 to 9,480 of 9734

Thread: Random Tori Chatter (oooilllll spiiiilllllllll)

  1. #9466
    Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,506
    The London show was weird, it felt rushed. If I remember rightly she repeated the first 5 songs from the previous show in Berlin, likely because it was a strong run she knew worked. Also, they mention in the voiceover that she performed in London in front of school children but not that that was Tash and her friends. I can imagine how that was a really hard show for her.

  2. #9467
    Quote Originally Posted by nosferatu View Post
    This was really good and made me interested in Natalie Dormer and her career....interesting and informative especially when T mentioned how she was feeling before the London show last October bless her!!!
    What did she say about the London show? I haven't had the chance to listen to it yet..

  3. #9468
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by just me View Post
    What did she say about the London show? I haven't had the chance to listen to it yet..
    She said she had an awful soundcheck before the show and that she was a real mess at the time, but she manged to stay composed for the show somehow.

  4. #9469
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    209
    yes Tori was upset because she was naturally worried about her mum and she wasn't able to get in touch with the folks in America if memory serves me well...

  5. #9470
    Quote Originally Posted by iwo1333 View Post
    She said she had an awful soundcheck before the show and that she was a real mess at the time, but she manged to stay composed for the show somehow.

    Quote Originally Posted by nosferatu View Post
    yes Tori was upset because she was naturally worried about her mum and she wasn't able to get in touch with the folks in America if memory serves me well...

    Ah right, thanks you two. Wonder if that's why she seemed a bit sad at teh start of the manc meet? (But seemed to perk up as the meet went on according to people)

    How are you doing nosferatu? Not been in touch for a while sorry! My mother in law (tho we're still not married obvs) died in April, and other worries so not been online/around as much. Hope you're ok and looking forward to the (short lived?!) England participation in the world cup?!

    /end thread hi-jack

  6. #9471
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    209
    Hello just me....sorry to hear sad news....hope you and everyone concerned is ok! my mum was a bit poorly very recently but miles better now thank goodness. Been less bothered about world cup this time (think i'd like Belgium to win whole thing cos England most certainly wont do well!!!) Went to see Nerina Pallot at local venue in April and Barry was there from Liverpool....Can't believe Paul M did secret gig at pub...i've been to Philharmonic pub a few years back!!! Chow for now!

  7. #9472
    Insert something clever here iamstilljamiepoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO
    Posts
    675
    Heard Cornflake Girl on Lithium on Sirrius XM yesterday afternoon, which made my heart happy.

  8. #9473
    By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Montepulciano, Italy
    Posts
    1,959
    A few days ago I was at a friend's place and I we were talking about music. I don't know how we ended up talking about Tori. He doesn't know her music except for Carnival (don't know why), but he made some very weird remarks: he said that "it's Tori Amos, so it's all 4/4" and I was like WHAT? But he doesn't know her music, so I blame his ignorance for this statement. Then I made him listen to the HRL performance of Precious Things and he said that a couple times she was off-time and the musicians were struggling to follow her timing. How true is that? He's a bassist so he's got a much better ear for rhythm than I do, but I never noticed Tori being off-time. I reasoned that - if that's true - it's probably because she kind of have a punk approach to timing, right? With the band she was always jamming, basically, so it's likely that she would do some weird change with times?
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

  9. #9474
    Senior Member Jezebelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,402
    Tori Amis is 4/4! That's Hi-larious ;i
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

  10. #9475
    Wildwood gettotexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    England (welcome thereto)
    Posts
    101
    I'm sure he's really very nice, but he sounds like a bit of a dick from that description. Seriously, if the only thing you say when you hear Precious Things for the first time is that she sounds 'off-time', there is no hope!

  11. #9476
    By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Montepulciano, Italy
    Posts
    1,959
    Quote Originally Posted by gettotexas View Post
    I'm sure he's really very nice, but he sounds like a bit of a dick from that description. Seriously, if the only thing you say when you hear Precious Things for the first time is that she sounds 'off-time', there is no hope!
    He's an adorable friend, but being a dick about a lot of things is pretty much his special feature The weird thing is that he likes Carnival
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

  12. #9477
    Robbing the muse... Beelust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,527
    Just recently I shared the album version of Precious Things with my sister (who only knows and adores Winter and so I am trying to introduce her to other songs) and she liked it but that was it. She was curious why it is one of my favourite Tori songs. I sent her the Sessions live version and she understood why. She wants to have a “live Tori night” with me sometime in the future
    Robbing the muse...

  13. #9478
    strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sactown
    Posts
    2,434
    Yeah, her band is definitely not struggling to keep up with her. That's such a funny observation; it sounds like a dude trying to save face.

  14. #9479
    By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Montepulciano, Italy
    Posts
    1,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Yeah, her band is definitely not struggling to keep up with her. That's such a funny observation; it sounds like a dude trying to save face.
    Very, very possible. His observations were so unexpected that I guessed he knew what he was talking about, especially because I'm really bad at 'reading' live performances and understanding time signatures (my experience is very limited). I've always assumed that Tori likes her times random, so even with the band all the songs were OBVIOUSLY littered with random 2/4 bars, but I never sat down to listen properly (because who cares, I don't have to play with her). Her use of time signatures reminds me of Carl Orff and I love that.

    I told him "look, this was probably the 3294th time she was playing this song, I'm pretty sure they all knew how it was structured", but I was curious to know the technical opinion of someone who actually knows Tori's music. I might add that my friend drinks A LOT and shortly after he puked his soul out of his body. Maybe that's why he was hearing something weird.
    Last edited by Bloody Grace; 06-14-2018 at 08:00 PM.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

  15. #9480
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Grace View Post
    Very, very possible. His observations were so unexpected that I guessed he knew what he was talking about, especially because I'm really bad at 'reading' live performances and understanding time signatures (my experience is very limited). I've always assumed that Tori likes her times random, so even with the band all the songs were OBVIOUSLY littered with random 2/4 bars, but I never sat down to listen properly (because who cares, I don't have to play with her). Her use of time signatures reminds me of Carl Orff and I love that.

    I told him "look, this was probably the 3294th time she was playing this song, I'm pretty sure they all knew how it was structured", but I was curious to know the technical opinion of someone who actually knows Tori's music. I might add that my friend drinks A LOT and shortly after he puked his soul out of his body. Maybe that's why he was hearing something weird.
    I am not sure if it is because of the rhythm. For Precious Things, the song surely is 4/4 structure-wise, but somehow it sounds like 3-3-3-3-4 ... I wonder if this gives a sense of Tori catching up with the band

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •