Page 643 of 646 FirstFirst ... 143543593633641642643644645 ... LastLast
Results 9,631 to 9,645 of 9681

Thread: Random Tori Chatter (oooilllll spiiiilllllllll)

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    They should form a band tbh. They could recruit Björk's son and form a supergroup, like ABBA for moody, dramatic art-gays.
    Last edited by Octopussy; 09-07-2018 at 10:41 AM.

I follow Tash on instagram so all I can add to this gossip is that Tash is friends with and/or miiiiiiiight be dating a boy named Olly who plays bass until his fingers bleed? Now, if they formed a band she might finally stop appearing on her mum's albums cause it's just not cool anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by fluteoftheloon View Post
    Now, if they formed a band she might finally stop appearing on her mum's albums cause it's just not cool anymore.
    More likely he’ll end up on Tori’s next album too...
    A mighty pain to love it is, and 'tis a pain that pain to miss;
    but of all the pains, the greatest pain is to love, but love in vain.

Quote Originally Posted by KidCarbon View Post
    More likely he’ll end up on Tori’s next album too...
    And he'll appear in a reworked version of "Mother", called "Mother in law".
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

I keep finding random Tori stuff I've never seen before. this is really simple and just a doodle but I really like it. it reminds me of the Lotta Piano tour shirts with the doodles of Tori and the pianos on it.
    Crucify Doodle Tshirt
    | don't be afraid ||- we're just waking up -|| and I hear help is on the way |

Relistening to SLG tonight (9/11/01 nostalgia FTW) and "97 Bonnie and Clyde" is really standing out as a unique moment in hisTORI in terms of development of a classic theme in Tori's oeuvre but also a forgotten chapter in fans turning against her. Anyone else remember the backlash she got from us super-online fans back in the day for covering an Eminem song? The issue was that Eminem was controversial at the time--and still is apparently LOL--for saying the "F" word (faggot) and some fans were up in arms because Tori was essentially collaborating with the sexist, homophobic enemy. IIRC, the backlash actually received coverage in media and Tori got some flak for it.

In retrospect it's kinda funny how tone deaf that initial reaction was given what she managed to do with the song (and album) and it strikes me as one of those proto-""SJWism"" moments from the pre-ubiquitous internet era. I wonder if the negative reaction to her taking on a divisive figure in such a head-on way had anything to do with her move towards being a "sonic novelist" on Scarlet.

I only remember media coverage in how "shocking" it was that someone like Tori would cover Emimem and Slayer. I don't remember that much backlash from fans tbh, though you can probably still read of some of those reactions on the Dent archive.... but everyone basically shut up once they heard what she did with the song.

Fans had an absolute meltdown when the first promo image was released of Tori in the short black hair. Then we heard SLG the single and there was no piano. All that, plus the fact that she covered Eminem, was met with "OMG SHE'S GOING COMMERCIAL! SELLOUT!" It was a shitshow. Not quite as bad as the ADP or MWG artwork reveals, but it was the first time I remember fans having a really negative reaction to new album buzz. Everyone was relieved when they found out she was just inhabiting characters, but even then she was accused of looking for an excuse to play dress-up and people questioned whether the songs really fit the concept of the album. If only we knew what was coming in just six short years...

Damn I must've been smoking too much pot by that point, that was senior year I think I only remember the critical reception being "eh" and everyone freaking out over Tori "changing" her iconic hair in that first New Age pic. If only they knew!! I do remember the meltdown for Scarlet though, that was probably worse: Generic titles, fashion photoshoots, and A Sorta Fairytale being what it was. I think a lot of people jumped ship at this "new" Tori that wasn't even being marketed as "alternative" anymore. It was kind of inevitable really - fans get older, artists change, etc.
    Last edited by Octopussy; 09-11-2018 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    Damn I must've been smoking too much pot by that point, that was senior year I think I only remember the critical reception being "eh" and everyone freaking out over Tori "changing" her iconic hair in that first New Age pic. If only they knew!! I do remember the meltdown for Scarlet though, that was probably worse: Generic titles, fashion photoshoots, and A Sorta Fairytale being what it was. I think a lot of people jumped ship at this "new" Tori that wasn't even being marketed as "alternative" anymore. It was kind of inevitable really - fans get older, artists change, etc.
    Pretty sure SW sold over 500k in the U.S and around 1m ww. It wasn’t really until TBK that her sales started to take a dip.

^ thanks to ASF, most likely. This was when I first started looking at Tori fan forums and anyone ever did was bitch about missing "demon Tori" because she went all adult contemporary or whatever. Tbh it was probably just a small, but loud, portion of fans.

unlikable female protagonist Sansa Spark's Avatar
    I keep returning to Scarlet, especially today, and I only love it more with every listen.

I'm a sensible girl GirlForPele's Avatar
    ^ thanks to ASF, most likely. This was when I first started looking at Tori fan forums and anyone ever did was bitch about missing "demon Tori" because she went all adult contemporary or whatever. Tbh it was probably just a small, but loud, portion of fans.
    I remember this too. One forum I used to go to that I don't think exists anymore had everyone complaining about middle-of-the-road Tori, adult contemporary, etc etc. I remember liking SW though *shrugs*.
    When pianos try to be guitars...out of my black and white world

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    I think it was a snowball effect of the 'Scarletization' of Tori, yeah. Tales of a Librarian in between those albums was an absolute mess. Sleeps with Butterflies & Cars and Guitars didn't really excite anyone when those leaked out before the album. ASF was a big enough hit that it promoted her to a new demographic and generated sales, but that didn't really extend beyond that album.

Yep, Tales of a Librarian was really her first misstep in my opinion - after a 13 year run of more or less flawlessness.