Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ys discussion thread

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar

Ys discussion thread

Let's give Ys some love.

I think it's still my fave Joanna, if only by a hair. . I listened to it in full a couple of weeks ago and was wrecked at the end, as usual. "Only Skin" is a perfect song from start to finish. I think it may be my favorite song by anyone ever.

whose wheels are squeaking arsonist samael's Avatar
    This one remains my favourite as well. Overcrowded with brilliance.

Emily is such an amazing song *_*

It is a perfect album on all counts.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I first heard clips from Ys round when it came out. It was receiving such a lot of attention so I think I did the 30-second clips on Amazon and didn't particularly like what I was hearing. This was the case for about three years; I just didn't feel compelled to check it out, thought it was probably a case of over-hype. It took the excitement about the Have One On Me announcement, with the comic strip, and then the Drag City streaming clips, to lead me back to Ys with new ears.

I think sometimes it's really good to be wrong about something and then discover it on your own. I didn't feel like 'I've missed out on three years of this,' I think I just wasn't ready or maybe wasn't open to enjoying this album until then. When I listened to it for the first time, I listened free of any of those prejudices or preconceptions I might have had before and consequently it was a bit of a revelation. It's such a complex and focused and strange record. I think I like Have One On Me more, but Ys is great. "The meadow lark and the chim-choo-ree and the sparrow" is such a strong opening - feels like the beginning of a story, and I love the way she sings it.

Sorry. That was really boring.

I love Emily.

The rest of the songs I can't get through. They're just not that good or interesting.

The only thing that's slightly wrong with this album is the studio version of Cosmia. While it is one of my favorite songs, she improved upon it so much in the EP version that I can no longer listen to the one on Ys.

This is one of my favorite records of all time, and it will remain that way forever, I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by okyanus View Post
    The only thing that's slightly wrong with this album is the studio version of Cosmia. While it is one of my favorite songs, she improved upon it so much in the EP version that I can no longer listen to the one on Ys.

This is one of my favorite records of all time, and it will remain that way forever, I am sure.
    Really? I don't care for the Ys Street version all that much. It goes on wayyyy too long for me (that extended jam session at the end is too much for me, and I think her vocal on the record conveys the grief in the song).

I prefer the album version of Cosmia as well, but I do love the Ys Street EP as well. It's nice to have the two versions.

Does anyone else get the feeling that this album takes place in a magical, other kingdom? Everything about the packaging, the myths and the atmosphere it creates makes me feel like I'm listening to a storyteller from that other land.

Quote Originally Posted by LaddyOwen View Post
    Does anyone else get the feeling that this album takes place in a magical, other kingdom? Everything about the packaging, the myths and the atmosphere it creates makes me feel like I'm listening to a storyteller from that other land.
    That's exactly how I feel about it. I mean, it's completely rooted in very real, VERY INTENSE human emotion, and it's not like it's a stereotypical mythic land with trolls and dragons, but it has the...WEIGHT of myth. Or something.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    Emily and Cosmia both break my heart in a wonderful way. Emily live this winter was just holy crap.

Quote Originally Posted by LaddyOwen View Post
    Yes, but then something so outrageously human and almost...modern (for lack of a better word) happens that you are brought right back into the personal/grounded nature of the songs. Every song has a moment like that, but for me it's the whole "stay with me for a while/that's an awfully real gun" part of Only Skin. Her voice gets all low and becomes much less otherworldly than it had been just a moment ago, and it gives this huge human heart to a fairytale of a song. It's really amazing how she does that.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I love Emily.

The rest of the songs I can't get through. They're just not that good or interesting.
    I really think you must have terrible attention span. Every one of the songs on this album are wonderful compositions and incredibly interesting. Perhaps they're just not what you're into. Is there anything of Joanna's that you do actually like?

I don't think I can pick a favourite of Ys anymore. I used to just say "Only Skin", but "Sawdust And Diamonds" blows me away and was the favourite for a while, and then "Cosmia" was reignited by the "Ys Street Band" version, and "Monkey And Bear" was perhaps the last one that I really loved, but I love it hard now. Last time I was driving down from Dublin, "Emily" came on and reminded me just how well crafted that song is too.

Sure they're long songs, sure they're lyrically complex, and yeah the musical structures seem to be complex because each section is longer than most people are used to in contemporary popular music, but it's a magnificent suite of 5 songs and the best music compositions in popular music that I've heard in a long time.

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    I don't think Ys can be communicated by 30 second clips at all; it's not like, say, hearing a clips from Tori Amos's latest, where it gives you an idea of the entire song.

Take the "meteorite / meteor / meteroid" climax of Emily. If you heard that as a clip without hearing everything that came before it'd be like "what is this woman screeching about" but when it is built up to, it's just this devastating emotional and musical climax.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kollins View Post
    I don't think Ys can be communicated by 30 second clips at all; it's not like, say, hearing a clips from Tori Amos's latest, where it gives you an idea of the entire song.

Take the "meteorite / meteor / meteroid" climax of Emily. If you heard that as a clip without hearing everything that came before it'd be like "what is this woman screeching about" but when it is built up to, it's just this devastating emotional and musical climax.
    Exactly. It's like hearing a 30second clip of a Mahler Symphony. How on earth is that in any way useful when each movement is 10-20 mins long?