Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 286

Thread: Ys discussion thread

  1. #256
    Meteoroid = Rock floating into space
    Meteor = Rock in the atmosphere
    Meteorite = Rock that survives colliding with the Earth's surface

    So, meteoroid is correctly described as "the stone that's devoid of the fire."

    And the meteorite being "the source of the light" is correct, as it causes the light/fire/explosion from impact. Joanna doesn't say where she sees this light, whether it's in the sky or outside somewhere. If she means the sky, then she's incorrect, but I think she means the light from impact.

  2. #257
    Frankly my dear Girl Friday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,412
    ^That's what I was thinking (I watch way too many science shows), just too lazy to look up. :P

  3. #258
    pummelled gall-nuts afloat in urine
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddlefish View Post
    Meteoroid = Rock floating into space
    Meteor = Rock in the atmosphere
    Meteorite = Rock that survives colliding with the Earth's surface
    If that's true, then surely the meteor is the source of the light, the meteoroid's just what we see, and the meteorite is a stone that's devoid of the fire? The meteoroid doesn't fit at all in the last line, since it's no longer being propelled, and the actual meteorite stone would not be a source of light if you're referring to fires started on impact - the source would be the fire. It does seem like the lyrics are (intentionally) inaccurate.

  4. #259
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    If that's true, then surely the meteor is the source of the light, the meteoroid's just what we see, and the meteorite is a stone that's devoid of the fire? The meteoroid doesn't fit at all in the last line, since it's no longer being propelled, and the actual meteorite stone would not be a source of light if you're referring to fires started on impact - the source would be the fire. It does seem like the lyrics are (intentionally) inaccurate.
    First off, the IAU definition of a meteoroid is "a solid object MOVING in interplanetary space." The one Joanna speaks of is simply not propelled by fire, ergo it's not a meteor. So, she's got that right.

    And we can't see meteoroids very easily because they're waaay out in fucking SPACE.

    Second, there CAN be a flash of light on impact, depending on the size and makeup of the rock. So the meteorite CAN be, and IS according Joanna, the source of the light.

    Third, if the grass catches on fire on impact (and I'm reading that that doesn't even happen), WHERE DID THE FIRE COME FROM, THEN?? Is the meteorite not the source of the light in the end? I mean, really?

    I'll break it down again like this:

    You wake up from a flash outside and there's a crater. Meteorite. Source of the light if you're woken up at night, as a meteor can't shine through your walls.

    You look up at the sky and see a fiery light. Meteor. What you see, but you have to actually look for it in the sky.

    You call up Billy Bob Thornton at NASA and ask him what the hell is going on, and he emails you pictures of a rock way out in deep fucking space. Meteoroid. It's not being propelled though an atmosphere, causing it to look like a fireball. It's just a rock.

    I don't know how to be any clearer, maybe Bill Nye had an episode on the differences.

  5. #260
    pummelled gall-nuts afloat in urine
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,956
    k i'll go back to lurking

  6. #261
    I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,391

    Icon15 I meant to post this a few weeks ago so my findings are not that fresh anymore.

    I've been doing a little mixing of Ys in my spare time just because it's absolutely beautiful and very rich and I've discovered a few things (of course, all of this is based on my ears; I've never read about this album's recording process):

    - The backing vocals on Emily are not actually recorded as backing vocals, but as main vocals. Filtering Joanna's vocals also brings out Emily's. I thought that was, in my mind, a way to feature her as co-vocalist and not backing-vocalist.

    - Sawdust and Diamonds was recorded in one take.

    - Only Skin, on the other hand, was recorded sort of like Björk's Generous Palmstroke: many parts were recorded without vocals, many with. I don't know how she writes her songs, but Only Skin sounds like parts of it were improvisations, much like Generous Palmstroke. A little take here, a little take there. Harp freestylin'. Big parts like the one from Scrape your knee to Be a woman, be a woman, for example, were all done in one take. And there are many smaller parts, like the one from Awful atoll to awkwardly molt along the shore that might have been recorded without vocals. There are so many things I want to write about this one- it's so complex and sounds so different from all the others.

    - This may come as no surprise to any of you, but I don't hear major vocal manipulation (very little reverb here and there) on this album and there is definitely no auto-tune (Soft as Chalk, however...)

    - Monkey & Bear might have been recorded in one take. If not, then three takes: Down in the green hay to they woke from a stable-boy's cry; he said; someone come quick! to dance, darling, and I love you still and from deep in the night to the end.

    - All orchestral arrangements were added later (although I guess that's the way it's done on 98.745% of records).

    - Cosmia might have been recorded in one take. This was probably recorded without any vocals.

  7. #262
    That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I've been doing a little mixing of Ys in my spare time just because it's absolutely beautiful and very rich and I've discovered a few things (of course, all of this is based on my ears; I've never read about this album's recording process):

    - The backing vocals on Emily are not actually recorded as backing vocals, but as main vocals. Filtering Joanna's vocals also brings out Emily's. I thought that was, in my mind, a way to feature her as co-vocalist and not backing-vocalist.

    - Sawdust and Diamonds was recorded in one take.

    - Only Skin, on the other hand, was recorded sort of like Björk's Generous Palmstroke: many parts were recorded without vocals, many with. I don't know how she writes her songs, but Only Skin sounds like parts of it were improvisations, much like Generous Palmstroke. A little take here, a little take there. Harp freestylin'. Big parts like the one from Scrape your knee to Be a woman, be a woman, for example, were all done in one take. And there are many smaller parts, like the one from Awful atoll to awkwardly molt along the shore that might have been recorded without vocals. There are so many things I want to write about this one- it's so complex and sounds so different from all the others.

    - This may come as no surprise to any of you, but I don't hear major vocal manipulation (very little reverb here and there) on this album and there is definitely no auto-tune (Soft as Chalk, however...)

    - Monkey & Bear might have been recorded in one take. If not, then three takes: Down in the green hay to they woke from a stable-boy's cry; he said; someone come quick! to dance, darling, and I love you still and from deep in the night to the end.

    - All orchestral arrangements were added later (although I guess that's the way it's done on 98.745% of records).

    - Cosmia might have been recorded in one take. This was probably recorded without any vocals.


    I want your ears
    "Never build a dungeon that you cannot get out of."

  8. #263
    I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,391
    I just got my dirty paws on the vinyl edition of Ys.

  9. #264
    someone to fall back on Owen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sactown
    Posts
    2,176
    ^ *YAY* Isn't it gorgeous? I have both Ys and HOOM on vinyl, I love them so much.

  10. #265
    I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,391
    It is! I don't really want to unwrap it, though!

  11. #266
    pummelled gall-nuts afloat in urine
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,956
    Ys is so wonderful this time of year much of the lyrical imagery is spring/summer themed, but there's a sparkle to the arrangements and her phrasing that connects it unyieldingly in my mind with the winter season. It's a real fireside kind of album, for a cold, dark evening.

    'Tho all I knew of the rote universe were those pleiades, loosed in december.
    I promised you I'd set them to verse so I'd always remember...'

  12. #267
    I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,391
    I posted about having copied about 2000 songs to a friend's iPod over the past several weeks in the Tori thread. Well, guess which album he liked best (by a long shot) out of the whole bunch?

  13. #268
    pummelled gall-nuts afloat in urine
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,956
    ^obviously~

  14. #269
    I was really into Milk-Eyed Mender but kind of fell off the Joanna map after that. Listening to Ys now for the first time in ages. What do you think is the best-written song on this record?

  15. #270
    condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    10,877
    All of it. I don't think I can judge any of Ys against the rest. Really it is a masterpiece in the proper meaning of that term.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •