Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Ys discussion thread

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    I agree with ebby. They're all so fucking good that it's a bit rude really. I now find it bizarre that for the first 16 years of my life I didn't know these songs. It's like they're permanently ingrained into me now.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    Same here! If forced to pick, I'd say Only Skin, just because its so fucking EPIC.

And Spyk - it really is RUDE. How dare she be so amazing? WTF?? Where's the talent for the rest of us?

I'd say my personal favorite is Emily, but yeah, the album really is of a piece, and I can't really say any of the songs are better than the others. It's all just so magnificent.

There's still something so brilliant about Sawdust and Diamonds for me. When I'm on a Joanna kick, I find myself watching live versions of that on YouTube. It was the first Joanna song that really hooked me and made me fall in love with her.

I'd pick that or Only Skin, but I think Ys is perfect from start to finish.

Come to think of it, I think in terms of pure storytelling, Monkey and Bear is damn strong, too. I mean, the fact that she can take a ren faire sounding song (srsly, there are parts that I feel like could be played on a lute by some underemployed MFA in tights upstate someplace) and turn it into a song about a controlling relationship that destroys you from the inside out, leaving me a bawling wreck most of the time, is pretty astonishing.

The whole THING is brill.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    See? Impossible task is impossible. I tend to see Ys as a complete work made of 5 sections, each of which can stand on its own. It kinda helps that she performed it as a complete work while touring that record too. So, it really does feel like it's meant as a complete suite of 5 songs. Obviously, she can take a song from it out of that context as well, and perform it separate from the rest, but between the album itself and then the tour with it performed complete, it just reinforces the notion in my head that Ys is the primary work, and is made up of the individual songs.

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    I also like to think of it as a 5-track whole piece of art. I would probably say Only Skin is "better-written", but I find myself coming back to Emily (or M&B) every time. But really I can't pick a favorite, and probably shouldn't have to!

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    And Spyk - it really is RUDE. How dare she be so amazing? WTF?? Where's the talent for the rest of us?
    Yep. I'm so glad I wasn't in a class with her in English at school or something like that. I probably would have gone all Black Swan on her.

My personal favorite has always been "Sawdust & Diamonds." Everything about it just astonishes me, and the first time I ever heard it was at the exact right moment for me to hear it. It's a reminder of some difficult choices that I made that changed my life for the better.

Is anyone familiar with this?

Probably the earliest version of Emily, from 2005, solo.

Yes! I have that recording. There's an early Only Skin, too.

I know that one, and also the "Be a Woman" bit. I'd never heard this one, though.

I think I've heard of a pre-Ys piano version of Sawdust and Diamonds years ago, but it might just be my imagination.

going on an ebay splurge and decided to buy ys on vinyl
    bored now

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Revisiting this today on vinyl while my boyfriend is away. It really is a perfect piece of work.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    I swear to god, minutes 13:38-15:10 of Only Skin rank high among the most sublime music ever composed or performed. And these lyrics! What can they possibly mean?

(Condensed)