Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 286

Thread: Ys discussion thread

  1. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    I really think you must have terrible attention span. Every one of the songs on this album are wonderful compositions and incredibly interesting. Perhaps they're just not what you're into. Is there anything of Joanna's that you do actually like?
    Maybe you need to take a reading comprehension class, because I just said I loved Emily. I've also mentioned some songs I love/like from HOOM in the other thread.

    I think the problem here is that some of you think that Joanna can't do wrong. That's a ridiculous stance to take, because that could be said about pretty much anything. You don't like my favorite song? Oh, it's because you don't get it. It's brilliant. Puhleeze.

    Anyway, I'm just sharing my thoughts on this album because I spent money on it and have every right to share my experience of it. Unless this is supposed to be a "fawning over Joanna Newsom, no critical thoughts allowed" forum, in which case I apologize and will let you guys fawn over the perfection of everything this woman does.

    Anyhow, since this is a thread about Ys, here's some more observations:

    In my iTunes Emily has 6 plays. Monkey & Bear has 1 play. Sawdust and Diamonds has 1 play. The rest I didn't find compelling enough to listen all the way through, because they are not brilliant songs by any logical standards.

    Emily I really like. Monkey & Bear sounds like a song that would play in a Disney cartoon. Not my kind of music at all. I remember really hating Cosmia. The rest I can’t remember.

  2. #17
    'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Where my feets takes me
    Posts
    1,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    they are not brilliant songs by any logical standards.
    Pray, what are those 'logical standards'?

    So basically, you admit that you hate songs you a.) have never listened to all the way through and/or b.) (partially) listened to just once? And that we are supposed to take your statements about these songs as authoritative "logical" statements re: the worth/goodness of these songs?

    So I assume the charge of having no attention span sticks then.

  3. #18
    condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    10,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Maybe you need to take a reading comprehension class, because I just said I loved Emily. I've also mentioned some songs I love/like from HOOM in the other thread.
    Lolz. Awesome. So you do actually like some of her songs. I honestly couldn't tell.

    I think the problem here is that some of you think that Joanna can't do wrong. That's a ridiculous stance to take, because that could be said about pretty much anything. You don't like my favorite song? Oh, it's because you don't get it. It's brilliant. Puhleeze.
    Actually, no. you should hear some of the natter about "Three Little Babes" and stuff from MEM.

    Anyway, I'm just sharing my thoughts on this album because I spent money on it and have every right to share my experience of it. Unless this is supposed to be a "fawning over Joanna Newsom, no critical thoughts allowed" forum, in which case I apologize and will let you guys fawn over the perfection of everything this woman does.
    Oh criticise away, but be prepared to back it up, which so far you're utterly failing to do.

    In my iTunes Emily has 6 plays. Monkey & Bear has 1 play. Sawdust and Diamonds has 1 play. The rest I didn't find compelling enough to listen all the way through, because they are not brilliant songs by any logical standards.
    *clap clap*

    What astute observations you must have about complex musical compositions that you've not managed to fucking listen through to the end, or listened to a handful of times.

    *clap clap*



    Emily I really like. Monkey & Bear sounds like a song that would play in a Disney cartoon. Not my kind of music at all. I remember really hating Cosmia. The rest I can’t remember.
    Honestly, if it's not your kind of music, fair enough. But to come and accuse the songs of being "not melodic", "not compelling", "Disney Cartoon", "not interesting", then obviously you're not willing to to be challenged by the music you listen to, and were prepared to dismiss it completely with completely inaccurate observations.

    This is disney:




    This is not disney:




    Maybe you should stick to 3 minute pop songs filled with melodic pop hooks?

  4. #19
    and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    15,262
    I don't think Joanna is above criticism by any means and I certainly don't mean to come off that way, but I find it difficult to engage in a serious discussion with you about music you didn't bother listening to more than once/even one time. Your assessments (of Ys especially) seem dismissive for the sake of it. Not even making it through a song is not experiencing it, and I often find with most musicians (especially her) that sometimes it doesn't click on the first listen. I didn't like Monkey and Bear at all at first and now I really love it. The only reason I question your dismissal of the remainder of Ys/three quarters of HOOM is because the songs that you DO connect with are not on some different planet than her other songs that you claim are bad/lacking melodies. I would think that someone who likes "Emily" would connect to a song like "Autumn" and someone who likes a song like "Kingfisher" would really connect to the themes in "Only Skin".

    I listened to Tori Amos' last album about 5 times before I decided I hated it.

  5. #20
    Senior Member JAE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Unless this is supposed to be a "fawning over Joanna Newsom, no critical thoughts allowed" forum, in which case I apologize and will let you guys fawn over the perfection of everything this woman does.

  6. #21
    Senior Member JAE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Your assessments (of Ys especially) seem dismissive for the sake of it.


    "didn't listen all the way through" + "not brilliant songs by any logical standards" ≠ "critical thoughts"

    ("some of you think that Joanna can't do wrong" = red herring)

  7. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    Maybe you should stick to 3 minute pop songs filled with melodic pop hooks?
    Lolz indeed. Reading comprehension. You really need it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    The only reason I question your dismissal of the remainder of Ys/three quarters of HOOM is because the songs that you DO connect with are not on some different planet than her other songs that you claim are bad/lacking melodies. I would think that someone who likes "Emily" would connect to a song like "Autumn" and someone who likes a song like "Kingfisher" would really connect to the themes in "Only Skin".
    I went and listened to Autumn and I actually do like it a lot. I haven't listened to most of HOOM in awhile, so that's where my criticism comes from. Most of it hasn't stuck with me. I don't find HOOM to be a bad album, it just that some of it (Baby Birch mainly) really bothers me. Overall, it has a few stellar tracks (IMO) and the rest kind of blends together nicely. It’s the kind of music I’m usually not in the mood for.

    I'm listening to "Only Skin" now and it's nice. I really like the part where the male voice comes in (I never got that far in the song before). Now I’m on Cosmia and it’s better than I remember.

    I guess what I’m trying to say is that I don’t find most of her music bad at all, it‘s just not the sort of thing I’d listen to most of the time. Though, I guess I’m in a Joanna mood today, because I’m enjoying these Ys songs I couldn’t listen to before!

    I listened to Tori Amos' last album about 5 times before I decided I hated it.
    It took me a lot more listens than that for me to start even liking it. But she's my favorite artist, so I tend to give her albums more time. Now I (mostly) love it.

    (Unless you’re talking about Midwinter Graces, which I don’t listen to much at all. Not a Christmas music fan here.)

  8. #23
    condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    10,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Lolz indeed. Reading comprehension. You really need it.
    Yes, obviously I do. :r

    I went and listened to Autumn and I actually do like it a lot. I haven't listened to most of HOOM in awhile, so that's where my criticism comes from. Most of it hasn't stuck with me. I don't find HOOM to be a bad album, it just that some of it (Baby Birch mainly) really bothers me. Overall, it has a few stellar tracks (IMO) and the rest kind of blends together nicely. It’s the kind of music I’m usually not in the mood for.

    I'm listening to "Only Skin" now and it's nice. I really like the part where the male voice comes in (I never got that far in the song before). Now I’m on Cosmia and it’s better than I remember.
    Oh, so when you actually went and listened to the songs you previously were saying you "didn't find compelling enough to listen all the way through, because they are not brilliant songs by any logical standards", you now actually like them!

    *clap clap*

  9. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    Oh, so when you actually went and listened to the songs you previously were saying you "didn't find compelling enough to listen all the way through, because they are not brilliant songs by any logical standards", you now actually like them!
    I like them, but I wouldn't call them "brilliant."

    Emily, Go Long, and Kingfisher are the ones I'd call brilliant.

  10. #25
    'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Where my feets takes me
    Posts
    1,194
    So what were those logical standards you were talking about.

    I am curious you see.

  11. #26
    Senior Member HumptyDumpty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    769
    As someone else said, this is a truly magical album. It takes me to another time and place. Emily is a fantastic song, my second favorite... behind Only Skin.

    Speaking of not being able to get through the songs, a friend of mine was telling me about this one Joanna Newsom song that she just couldnt get into. In her words: "I kept waiting and waiting for something to happen... but it just wasnt going any where." I played Only Skin, asking if that was the song she was talking about... and it was.

    The first time I listened to Ys, I fell asleep probably shortly after the first song. But I remember suddenly waking up during Only Skin, where it really picks up at the end and the male voice comes in. I was blown away. So I listened to the track over again. It's long, yes... but, as I told my friend, is has one of the best pay-offs E.V.E.R. Absolutely amazing. And it's not too short... she really digs into it at the end, and it's completely satisfying.

    Have One On Me is a great album. But Ys still takes the cake...

  12. #27
    'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Where my feets takes me
    Posts
    1,194
    It really is quite like classical music, you have to pay attention while you listen to really enjoy it properly. Just sit and don't do anything else, close your eyes and pay attention to what you are hearing!

  13. #28
    condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    10,848
    Quote Originally Posted by kollins View Post
    It really is quite like classical music, you have to pay attention while you listen to really enjoy it properly. Just sit and don't do anything else, close your eyes and pay attention to what you are hearing!
    Exactly! I had similar problems when I had to study Mahler symphonies - they were just so long compared to what I was used to listening to, even by Classical Music standards! We just not accustomed to listening to 20min long individual movements anymore. I mean, Mahler 2's 5th movement is about half an hour long by itself, let alone the other 4 movements! So I can understand how people found Ys challenging initially, as all the songs are long and complex and take some dedicated listening.

  14. #29
    and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    15,262
    Quote Originally Posted by HumptyDumpty View Post

    The first time I listened to Ys, I fell asleep probably shortly after the first song. But I remember suddenly waking up during Only Skin, where it really picks up at the end and the male voice comes in. I was blown away. So I listened to the track over again. It's long, yes... but, as I told my friend, is has one of the best pay-offs E.V.E.R. Absolutely amazing. And it's not too short... she really digs into it at the end, and it's completely satisfying.
    It's funny, because Only Skin never feels like its 17 minutes long to me. I feel like it goes by so quickly! It's my favorite song by anyone ever, I think. I could just listen to it all day and never get sick of it.

  15. #30
    I only fully got into Ys when I a) read along with the lyrics as I listened to the songs, and b) listened to it while I went for long runs out of doors. All I had to focus on was the music, and it grabbed me in a way that never happened when I was trying to listen to it in, like, the car. Though now, "Emily" is a favorite car ride sing-a-long in my household. XD
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •