Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ys discussion thread

streak his blood across my beak PoorMatty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    It's funny, because Only Skin never feels like its 17 minutes long to me. I feel like it goes by so quickly! It's my favorite song by anyone ever, I think. I could just listen to it all day and never get sick of it.
    "Only Skin" is my favorite song on Ys, my favorite Newsom song, and one of my favorite songs by anyone. When you mentioned in another thread "melodies upon melodies upon melodies," "Only Skin" sprang to mind. The melodic progression of the song reminds me of so much classical music and even of Sondheim the way certain leitmotif melodies are repeated and subtly changed throughout the course of the song. I could write paragraphs and paragraphs on the song. And the way her voice becomes so unhinged at parts ("as the lightning has lately done," "the crops are all coming, we have everything," "in my doorway, we shucked and jived") is incredibly effective and disarming. It sounds very genuinely like she is gulping back tears. I missed her using her voice in that way in Have One On Me.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    It's funny, because Only Skin never feels like its 17 minutes long to me. I feel like it goes by so quickly! It's my favorite song by anyone ever, I think. I could just listen to it all day and never get sick of it.
    The thing I love about it, is that although that big climax is so thrilling, there's still so much beauty in the rest of the song, and it's filled with this gorgeous melodies that she switches between. With out that climax section, it would still be a great song, but with it, it's an AWESOME song.

Quote Originally Posted by kollins View Post
    So what were those logical standards you were talking about.

I am curious you see.
    Me too! Step up, sonny boy!
    post28!

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorMatty View Post
    I missed her using her voice in that way in Have One On Me.
    I think it was in part to the nodes, and in part due to the fact that the songwriting is much different on this record. Ys sounded like a prolonged anxiety attack at times, while HOOM is much more restrained in its emotional turmoil (weirdly effective - her voice in Go Long is sinister/sad to the point of almost creepy).

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Listened to Ys again last night while reading the lyrics and I'm more impressed each time. I agree that it's an album that works best if you give it proper concentration. I mean, I can listen to it in the background and enjoy it, but the experience is richer when you're giving it your full attention. (You could say that's true of all albums, but not necessarily!) I feel like I'm only really just skimming the surface with it, it's that dense and interesting. I feel like I want to listen to it again right now!

And also there's a lot of interesting, weird, unexpected things in the mix. Instruments you maybe didn't hear on first listen. In my listen last night, I heard plenty of those. Accordions etc.

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    ^ Reading along with the lyrics definitely adds a lot. I used to love Only Skin. Then recently, I read the lyrics while I listened to it. And it damn near changed my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Wout View Post
    Me too! Step up, sonny boy!
    *crickets*
    post28!

^ Logical standards = my standards.

I thought that was pretty obvious!

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    That is not what logic means.

^ It does in my universe.

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    Unfortunately you are communicating with us via a shared universe; we are not visitors in your own private universe where apparently words can mean what you want them to mean.

Because logic is objective, something that is logical for one person cannot be illogical for another, unless that second person has a superior logical argument to offer as rebuttal. By saying a song or album is bad "by any logical standard" you are saying that any reasonable person will independently reach the same conclusion: that the song or album is bad.

Calling your opinions "logical" ("by any standard" no less!) also suggests that anyone who does not share your opinions is being unreasonable, ignorant, or stupid, which is fun!
    Last edited by Michael Michael; 06-25-2010 at 03:38 PM.

I won't apologize for being the center of my own universe.

Everything I say expresses my own personal opinions and thoughts. When I say "logical standards" it's obvious that I mean my understanding of what "logical" is. And let's look at the word "reasonable." If someone agrees with me, they are being reasonable. If they don't, they are being unreasonable. Pretty simple concept. Just like Joanna fanatics think I'm unreasonable because I don't think every one of her songs is a work of genius, or because I don’t bawl over Baby Birch. It just means I’m emotionally stable, that’s all.

When people say something is "brilliant" or "genius" there is no way they can prove that to be true, unless you have a majority agreeing with you and then you can pretend it's true. But Joanna, by most people's standards is not a genius, hence why most people don't really listen to her music. Heck, most people don't even know who she is.

This Joanna forum for example is filled with people who are huge fans of her music. There’s maybe ten of you here. You all agree that she’s a genius and that’s fine. You guys can believe whatever you want. But by most people’s standards, she would not be a genius. Technically good? Yes. Genius? Not quite. So when I come in and say “well I love some of her songs but most of them aren’t as good” and you all disagree with me, that doesn’t mean I’m wrong. It means I represent the majority of music listeners, while you guys represent a very vocal minority.

There is no such thing as truly objective reasoning. It's just what the majority agrees upon.

Main point being: I’m always right. Until I change my mind.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I have grown to really like the cover

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    When people say something is "brilliant" or "genius" there is no way they can prove that to be true, unless you have a majority agreeing with you and then you can pretend it's true. But Joanna, by most people's standards is not a genius, hence why most people don't really listen to her music. Heck, most people don't even know who she is.
    Oh. Okay. So music is only brilliant or genius if millions of people love it (a "majority" of people, whatever that means). Art is only valuable if a majority of people consume it. Got it.

She might not be a genius - those kinds of terms are problematic - but to assume that the masses are the authority on good art/ artistic standards is so fucking dumbheaded I don't know where to begin.