Page 1 of 75 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The All-Inclusive Fleetwood Mac thread

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar

The All-Inclusive Fleetwood Mac thread

Discussion, video sharing, solo talk (Lindsey, Stevie etc) - all here!

I fulfilled a dream by going to see them live last year. Christine doesn't tour with them anymore, but they still played "Say You Love Me" and "Don't Stop." Her presence is missed but their energy as a whole remains quite astounding.

Now I also love the Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac, the "original" FM if you will. (And also have a soft spot for the "wilderness years" Mac too.)

Here's "Oh Well" from 1969

And from the classic '70s line-up, I present Queen Stevie in full flight. Watch 'til the end. Incredible doesn't cover it.

^That Rhiannon performance is one of my favorite things FM has ever done. I think it's definitely the best version of that song.

Has everyone seen the Tusk documentary? It's great, there's some very interesting footage of them making the record, and some excellent performances. Here's Angel:

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    And from the classic '70s line-up, I present Queen Stevie in full flight. Watch 'til the end. Incredible doesn't cover it.

I'd never seen that before. Thank you SO much for posting it. ♥

That Rhiannon is amazing. Thanks for posting it.

Great videos there! Haven't seen the Tusk documentary all the way through but really want to - if it's all there on YouTube, that's what I shall do I love the smile Lindsey and Stevie have at 3:20 when they're working out the Angel harmony. It's like "oh, I like what you did there!"

And that Sisters Of The Moon is intense. Hadn't seen it. They look quite high. One of my fave FM songs - they're really into it here! Love it.

What's everyone's fave album? I love them all but I do have a soft spot for Tusk. I think Lindsey was very brave to experiment like that, and it has some of Stevie and Christine's best work.
    (Oh, and Lindsey and Stevie = rock's most beautiful couple?)

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    Stevie sure did have the stage presence, didn't she?

Stevie is working on a new album with Dave Stewart and Glen Ballard!

http://twitpic.com/22u7he

http://twitpic.com/2386hh
    Last edited by Andyland; 07-08-2010 at 12:05 AM.

WHAT?!?!

YES!!!!!!

Thank you for delivering this amazing news.

Did some scouring for updates and quotes etc and found some nice bits:

"Dave Stewart told ethrill.net today that he is not only working in the studio together with Mike Campbell (Tom Petty’s Heartbreakers) on the next Stevie Nicks album, but also with the help of Mick Fleetwood!"

"sitting in the studio next to stevie nicks! listening to playback of her new song "Italian Summer" oh and ps. Dave Stewart is producing!!"

From Dave Stewart:
    "I 'm producing the album with my partner Glen Ballard , I also co-wrote 6 songs with Stevie on the album a very creative time"

"I'm directing a movie of my whole Stevie Nicks collaboration experience a real insight into how and why she is a true legend a unique talent"

"After a hard day's night in the studio , Stevie Nick's still focused and listening intently to the rough mixes to take home , music all finished next step harmonies and some killer lead vocals"

From Rolling Stone's David Wild:
    "in studio right now with Stevie Nicks, Waddy Wachtel, Mike Rowe, Mike Bradford Steve Ferrone creating MAJIK !!!! last day in this studio"

"Okay since my tennis game was rained out: there are lots of ghosts, vampires on Stevie Nicks' upcoming album, but mostly stunning songs"

"Stevie collaborates with some old friends in new ways. The result so far is powerful & deeply personal. There's blood on these tracks."

"Stevie Nicks and Dave Stewart in studio , we had a magic lucky photo on the mixing desk Stevie put there for the whole sessions , tonight was the last night and it was amazing !!!"

I'm not gonna talk about Judy. Johnothon's Avatar
    Favourite album is Tusk, with Storms and The Ledge vying for top spot on my list. Not such a fan of Tango in the Night, but Mirage has some bright spots. Looooove Lindsey's Under the Skin album. I didn't manage to see them when they played Glasgow last October, but my damned mother did and text me during it saying "Storms was fantastic, shame you're not here." The bitch.

^ Tusk, good choice. Those two songs are two of my faves too.

Tusk is a perfect album, IMO. It was so ballsy for them to release that right after Rumours. Career highlights from all 3 of the songwriters, especially Stevie. Storms (my favorite song by anyone), Angel, Beautiful Child, Sisters of the Moon, Sara are all among her best.

I do love Fleetwood Mac. There are quite a few videos on YouTube of various documentaries, and I think I've seen most of them.
    I had no idea they'd been through so much, and then to try and stay 'current' amongst younger bands back in the 80s.
    Admittedly, I've only ever been a casual fan, but I'm going back in time now, especially to Rumours, which the band has said was like little conversations to each other in the heat of all the relationship break-ups, etc.

I distinctly remember the first time I heard 'Little Lies' - it was playing on the radio at a BBQ, and I think I was 9 or 10 years old. I thought the opening synths were a bit spooky, but I liked it After that, it was just songs I heard on the radio, or whatever house party had them playing.

I bought the European Greatest Hits record later on, and fell in love with most of what was on there. In 2003 I bought 'Say You Will' and overplayed 'Thrown Down' and 'Silver Girl'.

I wish I could have seen them live, but I am never in the right country at the right time, sadly!

P.S I think Lindsey has an interesting accent -what is it? I love how he says 'Chrismis' And menju, he and Stevie are definitely rock's most beautiful couple, no questions asked!

I'm not gonna talk about Judy. Johnothon's Avatar
    uskidsknow, you're so right about what a shot in the dark they took with Tusk as a follow up. Imagine rushing out to buy the new Mac record in '79, expecting more tunes to swish around in your chiffon to (or blow dry your white-boy fro to!), and getting whacked in the moosh with The Ledge. People must have shit. Luckily it totally stands up as this incredible, weird journey for your ears. Storms is by far Stevie's lyrical masterpiece, just has to be; I love the desolation it's mired in. As for Chris, Over & Over is one of my favourites on the record.

It seems like after Tusk, the five of them never quite worked as a whole in the same way again. Which is... not that funny, is it?

baronette, I think Little Lies was the first song of Christine's I ever heard, and I remember thinking that this man had the most peculiar voice.

I think artistically, Tusk is their greatest achievement and I can only echo what everyone is saying about the quality of the writing. Simply great.

I don't think this is necessarily a particularly popular opinion, but I also love Mirage. I find it very accessible and enjoyable (who cares if it was contractual!)

What do people think of Lindsey's solo work? I've been meaning to listen to some of that.