Page 2 of 73 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The All-Inclusive Fleetwood Mac thread

I think Tusk is their masterwork. Though I believe it was Lindsey who said that he feels "Gypsy" is actually his greatest collaboration with Stevie.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Lindsey has just the most innate understanding of Stevie's songs. If you've heard some of Stevie's demos, they're really beautiful but also really quite basic (sometimes that works in their favour), but Lindsey helps to make them insanely amazing. Stevie for her part has an incredible ear for harmony and would always come up with these gorgeous harmonies on both her songs and also Lindsey's and Christine's too.

If you haven't heard the Sisters of the Moon demo (1976), you must. Stevie alone on piano, and it's beautiful.

I'm wondering though if that gift is wearing off a bit? The production on songs like Illume and Smile at You make me wonder...

Also, this one was always a favourite of mine. Stevie getting ready for a photo shoot in 1981; she starts off with a harmony for "Love in Store." Lindsey obviously had the music for "Can't Go Back" ready and Stevie sang an early version of her then-new "The Wild Heart" over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyland View Post
    I'm wondering though if that gift is wearing off a bit? The production on songs like Illume and Smile at You make me wonder...
    Yeah the original Smile At You (they did a piano-based demo for Tusk and a rockier one for Mirage) is pretty different.

Tusk Smile At You:

Mirage Smile At You:

I'm not gonna talk about Judy. Johnothon's Avatar
    menju, have you heard Lindsey's album Under the Skin? I think it was either 2005 or 2006 that it came out, can't quite remember, but it was sometime after the Say You Will tour. From what I've read, most Buckinghamites are nuts about the album that came before Under the Skin, called Out of the Cradle, but it's UtS all the way for me. Songs like Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind, Down on Rodeo, Cast Away Dreams...he's just a magnificent chap all round, really. Plus, circa 1980, he was a sexy piece. Rawr.

Oh, and that dressing room snippet of Wild Heart is pure magic. I actually love it. Her voice towards the end... She didn't even have to try, y'know?

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    What do people think of Lindsey's solo work? I've been meaning to listen to some of that.
    I could never really get into Lindsey's solo work aside from a handful of songs. He just never grabs my attention like Stevie's or FM's albums do. However, his latest (Gift of Screws) is pretty solid. Maybe because it was sitting around for a few years before it was released!

Sorry guys, I can't play the embedded videos. Do they work for you?

Thanks for the Lindsey recommendations, Johnothon, I shall investigate. I've heard a little bit from the first two solo albums but nothing much. That "Castaway Dreams" video is lovely! His voice remains gorgeous all these years later. I was blown away by his energy on stage last year. And as for the "Wild Heart" video, you're right, Stevie's voice was just so effortless. There she was, singing along getting her hair and make-up done, and it's record-worthy.

baronette, they work for me, but if you can see the titles maybe if you right-click it has the option to "watch on YouTube". Hope they work. If not I'll post in the urls.

Quote Originally Posted by baronette View Post
    Sorry guys, I can't play the embedded videos. Do they work for you?
    They don't play for me in Chrome, but they do play for me in Internet Explorer.

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    Work just fine in Firefox.

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    Thanks for the Lindsey recommendations, Johnothon, I shall investigate. I've heard a little bit from the first two solo albums but nothing much. That "Castaway Dreams" video is lovely! His voice remains gorgeous all these years later. I was blown away by his energy on stage last year. And as for the "Wild Heart" video, you're right, Stevie's voice was just so effortless. There she was, singing along getting her hair and make-up done, and it's record-worthy.

baronette, they work for me, but if you can see the titles maybe if you right-click it has the option to "watch on YouTube". Hope they work. If not I'll post in the urls.
    You've heard more of the first two Lindsey records than I have! I think Go Insane remains the only song from them that I have ever heard, and it I like it well enough, but it doesn't grab me like his 2000- solo stuff does. I saw Gift of Screws get a recommendation - if you only get one, get Under the Skin.

That being said, Gift of Screws is pretty good. There's a song on there called Time Precious Time which made my ears go 'Aaaargh!' initially, but now I recognise it for being pretty awesome. The title track, too, and Treason! Oh! Lindsey's quite the guy, he really is. Shame he's never received the same kind of attention outside of the Mac that Stevie has.

Now that I think about it, Christine McVie's 2004 record is great too. But that's no surprise.

menju, the first video you posted of Rhiannon is no longer available. Is it this one? Because the way she goes off in the end is one of my favorite things ever.

^ Yep that's the one! I can't really describe how amazing that performance is.