Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Song of the Week: Spark

This song is the bomb.

I still hate that line, but the rest of the song is so crazy-awesome that I forgive and forget and sing "A bomb" instead and all is well. It's such a fantastic opener to an album and sets the tone.

Choirgirl is the first CD I bought myself, with money I happily took form my parents & said was going to my lunch during a school trip. Instead of buying lunch, I bought this CD and listened to it on the way back from a Quiz Bowl (I was cool) trip with my future husband, then-boyfriend. We listened to it on my crappy CD/Tape player and I was in heaven.
    I miss, I miss,/how you'd sigh yourself to sleep
    When I raked the springtime /across your sheets

Quote Originally Posted by lettyt View Post
    This song is the bomb.

I still hate that line, but the rest of the song is so crazy-awesome that I forgive and forget and sing "A bomb" instead and all is well. It's such a fantastic opener to an album and sets the tone.

Choirgirl is the first CD I bought myself, with money I happily took form my parents & said was going to my lunch during a school trip. Instead of buying lunch, I bought this CD and listened to it on the way back from a Quiz Bowl (I was cool) trip with my future husband, then-boyfriend. We listened to it on my crappy CD/Tape player and I was in heaven.
    My interpretation on "the bomb" line. isn't as in "this is da boom.. this is so cool", but as in...

She was on a countdown to giving birth, 9 months and counting, every day getting closer...

But then her baby would go and choose to "explode" before her.

I love all the imagery of heartbreak in this song, The complete rejection, lack of self worth,and the why's?

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    Love this song. I loved BfP and FTCH, but hearing Spark was quite a shock. It was a totally different sound, but in a good way. Sigh. Tori kept having new sounds and they were awesome.

I know the "bomb" line gets ragged on a lot, but I like it and I think it fits the era of the song. Plus spark and bomb go together.

"But she couldn't keep baby alive" chokes me up every time.

And, of course, Spark gave us awesome b-sides too.

It's not my favorite Tori song, but I can understand why it is and though it's not my favorite, it's up there.
    Same. "Bomb" never bothered me and I didn't realise it bothered anyone else until reading the forums. The bomb/spark connection makes sense. It's not like she dropped "lol" into a song (wouldn't put it past her now though!)

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    It's not like she dropped "lol" into a song (wouldn't put it past her now though!)

Spark is incredible. It still sounds just as fresh, beautiful, and heartbreaking as it did when I first heard it. My favorite from Choirgirl.

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    Same. "Bomb" never bothered me and I didn't realise it bothered anyone else until reading the forums. The bomb/spark connection makes sense. It's not like she dropped "lol" into a song (wouldn't put it past her now though!)
    I salute to you Unforumzed, and I LOL.

Banned
    @ OP I love your interpretation of the "how many fates turn around in the overtime..." line.

I love "Spark." I do have a question though. Tori has said in interviews that "the ice cream assaassian" is God, but does anyone get this reference? Is it just randomness or has Tori ever explained what that was referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by NUHN View Post
    @ OP I love your interpretation of the "how many fates turn around in the overtime..." line.

I love "Spark." I do have a question though. Tori has said in interviews that "the ice cream assaassian" is God, but does anyone get this reference? Is it just randomness or has Tori ever explained what that was referring to?
    I take it as a reference to the Wallace Stevens poem "The Emperor of Ice Cream", in which death is the "Emperor of Ice Cream"--God as this cold, death-dealing presence. But that's completely my reference and I can't back it up with anything.
    I miss, I miss,/how you'd sigh yourself to sleep
    When I raked the springtime /across your sheets

The Sweetest Cherry in an Apple Pie Talula's Avatar

That line could be interpreted in two ways.

1) Who loves ice cream the most? Children, of course. (Surely, we, adults, love it too, but chilren are the ones who love it more than us. I'm sure there's no need to explain why).
    Who could be the assassin here? God. Because, observed from the non-medicinal side, God was the one who took away Tori's baby.
    Therefore, "the ice cream assassin" means "the killer of children". I already explained who that killer is.

Of course, God didn't take away her child who could have consumed an ice cream, but if she had said "assassin/killer of my baby" that would have sound simple and, more imprortantly, poor, while the line she used is richer and more poetic, and therefore "beautify" the song.

OR

2) We know that Tori loves ice cream, so already mentioned assassin (God) killed her*. "Killed her" as killed her emotions (after taking away her baby), broke her down, etc.

*Tori has once said, I'm paraphrasing: If it counted on what I eat, I would be an ice cream then. (I'm not sure this is correctly said in English, and plus, it was taken out of the context, but the point is - she's an ice cream (in that line). I'll try to find the original quote.)

What interpretation I prefer more? The first one. Because it's much more obvious one, and you don't have to know what Tori has said for something (like that for the ice cream) to figure out the line.

P.S. I don't know if you get what I'm trying to say ('cause English is not my first language)?

Banned
    I understood ya, thanks! And thank you too lettyt, that's a really interesting possible reference I was unaware of. It does make sense.

I only remember Tori being questioned about the reference one time, and when the interviewer pressed on it - she just said "think about it," like it was an obvious reference. So I've always wondered about it.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Tori has said in interviews that "the ice cream assaassian" is God, but does anyone get this reference? Is it just randomness or has Tori ever explained what that was referring to?
    I've always pictured it as Charles Manson, as one could consider him an assassin and he and Tori like the same ice cream.

There was that comment she made about Lucifer wearing a nice white suit and driving an ice-cream van. I get the impression that Tori sees Lucifer not in the conventional Christian way, but more in the way that his Latin name implies, ie light-bearer, bringer of knowledge through self-realisation. In the song she says she's 'trusting my soul' to him, which for me fits more with that interpretation.

I'm probably in a minority in that I don't believe this song is about her miscarriages, as such. It references them as the source of her despair, but for me the song is dealing with notions of suicide and reincarnation - the idea of wanting out of this life because it's too painful, but then the implication of how that decision would influence the next incarnation. She talked about how we carry our issues, our essential identity, through all our lives, and the song makes sense to me in that context.

Ultimately the song is positive in that the notion of suicide is rejected - 'you say you don't want it, this circus we're in, but you don't really mean it' - and the sense of choosing to continue in the full knowledge that she will have to deal with this pain at some point, no matter what life she's in, is palpable. I think it's a remarkable song, a very courageous one and in the end, emotionally uplifting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by another light View Post
    Ultimately the song is positive in that the notion of suicide is rejected - 'you say you don't want it, this circus we're in, but you don't really mean it' - and the sense of choosing to continue in the full knowledge that she will have to deal with this pain at some point, no matter what life she's in, is palpable. I think it's a remarkable song, a very courageous one and in the end, emotionally uplifting.
    Oh my gosh, such an interesting interpretation! Never thought of it that way.

Surrender, then start your engines OrenLovesTori's Avatar
    I love love love Spark. Turning up the volume every time it comes up. Full of climax, this one. Love the banging piano that kind of went away after Choirgirl. And the video is the best she ever did, by far. I'm gonna listen to it again now

'you say you don't want it, this circus we're in, but you don't really mean it' - I take this line as Tori realising she was lying to herself. She needed to take time off from the music business (= circus) and focus on the pregnancy and her health, but of course she didn't do it, and now she is angry at herself.

'Ballerinas that have fins that you'll never find' - I take it as a very evocative reference to the fetus. (probably read this somewhere on the old forum)

I like how in the video for Spark we get the name of her miscarried child - "SKEETER". And at first I thought the two youngsters at the end were twins. I have always loved this song, and that whole era was magical. I never had a problem with "the bomb" lyric in the song. It worked for me, much for the same reasons interpreted above. As far as live performances go, I always thought it wasn't the best Live song for Tori, because it is so intricate.