Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Joanna Newsom YouTube thread!

The Good Book is missing some pages Maeve's Avatar
    ^ OMG!! It's odd hearing rap and Joanna... but it's a good mix. It works. It's sad that they included only the chorus. That song is so beautiful.

Is it right, butterfly, they like you better framed and dried?

whose wheels are squeaking arsonist samael's Avatar
    Ain't she lurvly?

^ while I do think that interview is adorable, it's clear that she is stoned out of her fucking mind. She's far more articulate and down to earth than that, and while I do love that silly side of her, I think that some people/haters (some on this forum, even!) latched onto that and wrote her off as some flaky nutjob when really she was probably just very, very high. I remember seeing this interview and being like ????.

Banned
    ^That's interesting to me that you say that because I do dislike that interview, and it's the first one I ever saw of Joanna, when I was first checking her out as an artist. (I am a fan though, I love MEM and Ys, haven't heard HOOM yet). And I never can tell when someone is on drugs, I'm really naive about stuff like that. I just thought she was so affected and twee and trying way too hard. Even Bjork - who has a reputation as a whimsical pixie - has never done that cutesy act like that. But I saw the Q&A that you posted awhile back and she was so straightforward and level-headed, so that made me like her.

Quote Originally Posted by arsonist samael View Post
    Ain't she lurvly?

It's fascinating to hear that bit of Sawdusts & Diamonds with such different vocals. What year was that?

And yeah, she is undeniably high there. I wouldn't dare show that video to someone who had even the slightest reservation.

whose wheels are squeaking arsonist samael's Avatar
    ^You know, I thought she was being herself in that video, and it thrilled me. I guess I have a thing for nutjobs.

Anyways, I'm guessing it's 2006, no?
    Last edited by arsonist samael; 07-15-2010 at 10:58 AM.

^You know, I thought she was being herself in that video, and it thrilled me. I guess I have a thing for nutjobs.

Don't get me wrong - I adore her mannerisms and answers in that video. Very much so.

Perhaps she was sober and simply in a very excitable mood.

no, that was around the time Milk Eyed Mender was released. I think she was touring in the UK with Devendra Banhart. I am going to say summer festival time 04. if not earlier than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I'll start:

A perfect performance of Sawdust and Diamonds.

this whole concert is on youtube. and the whole thing is amazing. she performs every song from Ys. and then a few from milk eyed mender. and i think one or two covers. but, each song is perfection.

An amazing Peach, Plum, Pear from Paris this tour. Joanna looks to be near tears at the last verse:

I also wrote a lengthy interpretation of PPP on my blog if anyone's interested: http://bit.ly/auO3od

Gah. I love it when she rests her head on the harp and almost hugs it. She has such a tender and intimate connection with her instrument. It's like it becomes an extension of her. x 1000.

GO LONG MAKES ITS DEBUT OMG.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Oh, God. Those lucky bastards. That was gorgeous. I hope it becomes a staple (and she swings back around to the other side of the country to play it. )

Thanks so much for posting that! ♥♥ It's my favorite song from the album.

!!! That's my favorite HOOM song and I'm seeing her on Wednesday! I hope she plays it!!

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I kind of don't want to watch just yet. I'm not seeing her until September but I'm considering keeping everything to be a surprise! I may well cave though