Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Kick Inside

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar

The Kick Inside

Discussion thread for Kate's debut album The Kick Inside. Thoughts, opinions, memories, interpretations, videos, likes and dislikes - everything TKI here!

Kate Bush
    The Kick Inside
    (EMI)
    Released: February 1978
    Chart: UK No.3

• Moving
    • The Saxophone Song
    • Strange Phenomena
    • Kite
    • The Man With The Child In His Eyes
    • Wuthering Heights
    • James and the Cold Gun
    • Feel It
    • Oh To Be In Love
    • L'Amour Looks Something Like You
    • Them Heavy People
    • Room for the Life
    • The Kick Inside

After signing to EMI as a 16-year-old, Kate Bush spent around two years studying dance and recording home demos before, in the summer of 1977, she finally laid down tracks for what was to become her debut album. Two songs from an earlier June 1975 session - "The Saxophone Song" and "The Man With The Child In His Eyes" - are included on the album, which, along with the UK No.1 hit "Wuthering Heights," catapulted Kate Bush into the public consciousness in 1978.

- SINGLES -

"Wuthering Heights"
    Released: January 1978
    Chart: UK No.1
    Tracks: Wuthering Heights / Kite

"The Man With The Child In His Eyes"
    Released: May 1978
    Chart: UK No.6 / US No.85
    Tracks: The Man With The Child In His Eyes / Moving

NOTE: "Them Heavy People" ("Rolling the Ball") and "Moving" were also released as Japan singles in 1978.

One of the greatest albums of all time!

When I was first delving into Kate's music, I randomly downloaded a bunch of her songs. Moving was one of those songs. I instantly knew I would love her.

I love Moving! I love Saxophone Song even more.

I got this LP as a Christmas present not long after my best friend and I saw Kate for the first time on Saturday Night Live in '78. My friend had a hard time tracking it down. We had to go far and wide in those days to search for her albums and singles. We eventually found an independent record store owner who would take requests when he was going on a buying trip to England.

Anyway, I can't describe what it was like to listen to this the first time. The songs sounded so unique to me, and I liked the way she tackled taboo subject matter in her lyrics. "Is she really talking about menstruation in Strange Phenomena?" I was moved beyond measure by Wuthering Heights, not just because it was one of my favorite books but because it had the most amazing melody, and I appreciated the fact that it is a very difficult song to sing well. TMWTCIHE I thought was tailor made for me as I sat up at night dreaming my dreamy dreams about whoever I was crushing on at the moment. I loved the title track but did not know it came from an old folk tale, The Ballad of Lucy/Lizie Wan. It made sense to me when I found out. There have been some questions about why Kate would sing about incestuous relationships, dark subjects, and the like, but folk tales are all about stories of odd behavior, murders, and suicides.

The only track I disliked at first on this album was James and the Cold Gun. I'm still not mad about it but when Kate performed it live, she blew everybody's minds including my own. I cringe when I hear Room for the Life because of the message, but I love singing harmonies along with it, go figure. I have a special place in my heart for Them Heavy People, because I sang it in my old band back in the day. That one has a great message.

I had no expectations whatsoever for this after listening to Lionheart first but I was really blown away by its brilliance. It lacks the experimentalism of her later works but the song writing is ace and the innocence/ primitive art of it all is enchanting. The remaster will have to include Maybe and Sacres Me Silly, no?

That would be so great.

You'd think you were about to hear two different albums, right? Crazy.

The song "The Kick Inside" is rather gorgeous. Just listened to the album again and almost had forgotten just how strong it is. I like that they just left it Kate and the piano on "Feel It."

I wonder what would have happened if Kate didn't get her way and EMI went ahead and released "James and the Cold Gun" as the first single.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    You'd think you were about to hear two different albums, right? Crazy.
    ...THREE different albums!

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    I have to say I prefer the American cover. Not only because it's the one I have (although that is probably the main reason) but because it just fits the music and looks better in general.

The UK cover makes her look like an Asian pop star (is this why she was on Pink Lady?!), and I don't even know what's going on in the Canadian cover but it doesn't grab my attention.

My favourite one is the UK original one. While I agree she looks like an Asian pop star () I love the colours and the imagination (and that was the way I first saw it and heard it so of course that must have something to do with it too.)

I'm currently obsessing a bit over "The Kick Inside" and "Saxophone Song," and also the ending of "James and the Cold Gun."

Quote Originally Posted by JIM View Post
    I have to say I prefer the American cover. Not only because it's the one I have (although that is probably the main reason) but because it just fits the music and looks better in general.
    Really?! I find the US version just cheap and one would expect to hear some generic 70's country music by the cover. Ugh. The UK cover has indeed an oriental flavour to it but it doesn't bother me one bit. It is beautiful and original.
    Last edited by MrQuin; 07-25-2010 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrQuin78 View Post
    some generic 70's country music by the cover.
    Yeah definitely - the picture of her is nice but as an album cover it's just way too generic and boring. The UK one is far more iconic and interesting; and suits the album itself because it gives a flavour of the quirkiness that's inside.

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    hmmm... I do like the original art for the Wuthering Heights single, but for the album I think the generic portrait is acceptable because it's her debut, and some of the most accessible music she ever did.

What I really love though, is the dusk-above-treetops picture inside the sleeve, with the little Kate-Kite flying around. THAT is what the album looks like to me.

Ah, I love the original UK album art too, both the front and back covers. it's a night-time album for me, so the back cover art works well for me too.

As for the WH single art, it has nothing much to do with the song (although Kite was the b-side, so there's that), but you can't deny that it's memorable or creates a strong image and atmosphere.