Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Kick Inside

the juniper tree is mine Octopussy's Avatar
    Can we talk about the music now???

There's a lot of songs here that I rarely listen to, although I like them all. The GREAT songs are far and away some of the best she's ever done, so they eclipse the just-ok stuff. Moving is my all-time favorite Kate track, and Wuthering Heights, Feel It, Them Heavy People and The Kick Inside round out my top 5 from this album. Oh To Be In Love is a close 6th, but the bridge is just a bit too Ren-Fair for my liking.

Besides Room for the Life (the unanimous least favorite), I have never really cared for The Man with the Child in His Eyes or Strange Phenomena. The album never really matches the greatness of Moving until Wuthering Heights comes in at track 6.

my fave song of the album would The Kick Inside! it's just so wonderful! other faves are Kite, Oh To Be In Love and Moving! and of cours Wuhtering Height the greatest debut single of ALL TIMES! now The Man With The Child and Feel It arent my cup of tea tbh.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    How incredible is that opening sequence? The transition between Moving and Saxophone Song gives me chills.

Hey, I love Room For The Life...more than Feel It or Oh! To Be In Love, for sure...

I first heard the album around 1988, when I first discovered Kate and got all her albums. I was eighteen and it still epitomizes that time for me. I hated a lot of the popular music of the period - the charts were dominated by endless horrible, bombastic Stock, Aitkin and Waterman shit, so discovering Kate's seventies output, so dissimiliar in tone and lyrical content, so incredibly delicate yet so incredibly strong and full of references to the strange and mystical, was like finding the doorway to another planet. TKI has such a particular flavour to me. I can't quite explain it, except that it always felt and probably will always feel like endless balmy English summer evenings full of anticipation and potential adventure. There's such a night-time feel to it, above any of her other albums.

Moving is probably her best opening track out of all the albums in terms of both setting the mood for what's to come (searingly beautiful and also rather eccentric) and for a first album, introducing the artist. I love the segue of whalesong into piano for the Saxophone Song - only bettered by the didgereedoo/Irish pipes segue of The Dreaming into Night of the Swallow some five years later.

My favourite tracks are Moving, Saxophone Song, Wuthering Heights, Man With The Child In His Eyes, Feel It, Them Heavy People and L'Amour Looks Something Like You. I can take or leave James and the Cold Gun except for the live performance on the Hammersmith recording and Room For the Life does not, as we've discussed before, bare much examination.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    ^ Excellent post.

I've been really into this album lately. And after years of listening, suddenly it's "The Kick Inside" that is making a big impression on me. I never paid that much close attention to it until recently but it's now rocketing up my favourites list.

"Moving" is just a perfect opener. And I think her voice is lovely on the two earliest inclusions, "The Saxophone Song" and "The Man With The Child In His Eyes." Reading Under the Ivy opened my eyes a little with regards to this album. The musicians said they all knew they were working on something special. And apparently they recorded three piano/vocal tracks but only "Feel It" made it. I wonder what the other two were, or if they were recycled for Lionheart. (Have only just read TKI bit so it may become clearer.)

The speed with which Kate became so famous and so successful must have been crazy for her. Exciting and gratifying, I don't doubt, but crazy nonetheless. I've been watching clips on YouTube of performances and interviews and she handles herself very well indeed.

I speak the truth. Hipsters suck. WhoIsThisTerrorist's Avatar
    Bit random, but does anyone else think The Man with the Child In His Eyes sounds like something Carole King could have written?

Moving...

Listening to this track outside on my front porch, the sun filtering in through the trees, the wind cool and brisk and, I have to say, it really is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard...

Admittedly, while listening to this track, my ears tend to hone in on certain lyrics, while overlooking others... some days, for me at least, it's a song about a few boyfriend I've had but when I'm feeling spiritual and "evolved" it's almost a lament to God or a "higher power" out there...

What's really starting to infect me about Kate's music is it's universality. It's so personal, and you can tell, but the woman is guarded and professional and, in the end, very much the storytell, so you never find yourself caring to know about the 'personal details' behind the story/concept she's draping around said details b/c you're so wrapped up in the tale and how it applies to your own life that all the rest becomes fodder for those obsessed w/ Kate. The woman definitely knows how to work with a concept.

Anyway, back to "Moving", quick question/opinion:

The lyrics read, "You give me life. Please don't let me go."

When I listen to the song, I hear her song (both literally - I don't hear the 'you' - and in the way she delivers the line): Give me life. Please don't let me go.

Does anyone hear the same? In either case, I prefer "Give me life". It's more of a declaration.

Sax Song just came on. Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThisTerrorist View Post
    Bit random, but does anyone else think The Man with the Child In His Eyes sounds like something Carole King could have written?
    Absolutely. I've always thought that song had a quintissential 70's piano singer-songwriter vibe to it. Shades of Joni Mitchell, Carole King, and Carly Simon, but with Kate's immutable stamp. Love love love it.

They took the gay right out of me. Buelis's Avatar
    The lyrics are pretty trite, but melodically and instrumentally I quite enjoy 'Room for Life'.

Quote Originally Posted by suli View Post
    my fave song of the album would The Kick Inside! it's just so wonderful!
    Have you heard Julie Covington's version? It's on iTunes, so easy to find. It's a surprisingly lovely version, with a kind of country feel, and one of the more successful covers of Kate's songs that I've heard.

What do you think of this version of WH by the Puppini Sisters?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHbPVl5rc-o
    A mighty pain to love it is, and 'tis a pain that pain to miss;
    but of all the pains, the greatest pain is to love, but love in vain.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    ^ I miss having that album! They did that cover on their debut album and used to do it in a club in London years ago. It's such a great cover - really reworks the song and makes it their own.

Released 35 years ago today. Still magnificent.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Another missed opportunity for a mastered anniversary deluxe version to be released (notably with Maybe and Scares Me Silly as bonus tracks).