Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: Tori's lost potential.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I can say that things got a lot better! Just...a lot better. The last tour was magic, and I like UG a lot. I didn't expect to get another Tori album I TRULY liked so it was a sweet surprise.
    I know! I feel like it's such a world away from where things were when this forum was birthed.

The Light Princess was a magical experience. Unrepentant Geraldines had some beautiful moments. The live stuff from that era was pretty magical, and even her fashion choices have been a lot more stylish.

Running out of things to make fun of!

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    I was reading a few of the first few pages of this thread.
    Oy. What depressing times those were. I would agree that she seems to be doing better at a personal level and that translates into how she flows in the songwriting department. To me, her so-called demise could be pinpointed to something awful that happened in her personal life (*cough Mark cough*) back in 2003-2005 and decimated her confidence bad. We were all introduced to a confident Tori early in her career and then something awful happened and she was stripped away of herself. It's really quite sad, actually. :/
    It would seem she has been slowly recovering from that. Hopefully she finds that it she had at some point. Even if she doesn't ever make another incredible album again.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    I know! I feel like it's such a world away from where things were when this forum was birthed.

The Light Princess was a magical experience. Unrepentant Geraldines had some beautiful moments. The live stuff from that era was pretty magical, and even her fashion choices have been a lot more stylish.

Running out of things to make fun of!
    omg I LOVE The Light Princess now. That score is just impressive. The story/lyrics aren't always the strongest, but Amphibiava is one of my favorite Tori Amos songs from this decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    omg I LOVE The Light Princess now. That score is just impressive. The story/lyrics aren't always the strongest, but Amphibiava is one of my favorite Tori Amos songs from this decade.
    For sure! The arrangements are stunning, the vocal parts throughout are stunning. It really is a beautiful score - I really hope it sees the light of day again somehow.

Even if UG didn't set the world on fire, I feel like it set things right again. The album holds up well. It's not a stone-cold classic, but it's quite good. The tour was incredible. Both the record and the tour were warmly received, and it was encouraging to see her get good press again. And, for me--well, I had really lost interest in her. I actually enjoyed a lot of The Beekeeper even though I'm aware it didn't compare to what came before--but then record after record failed to connect with me. A few songs aside, I didn't even enjoy the stretch of records from ADP through GD. So with UG, I felt like I came back into the fold.

And I actually feel like her legacy is not as shot as some might have feared it would have been. I was heartened by the number of pieces about the BFP anniversary/re-issue. And the reality is that her earlier works ARE masterpieces that connected with a lot of people in a rather huge way. Yeah, she's not Bjork or PJ. Most fans will think of her landmark work as being her 90's recordings. But wasn't that true for Joni Mitchell in the 70's? Prince in the 80's? Not every legendary artist kills it decade after decade.

Imo, Bjork is no longer killing it. She's been going through the same phase I think Tori went through and from around the same time. However, she starred to redeem herself with Vulnicura.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    While Medulla through Biophilia failed to truly enthrall me, her daringness to be experimental and think outside the box was never in question. I have respect for those albums even if I don't love them. The same cannot be said for Tori's slump. Vulnicura is a solid classic which holds up to any of Björk's "classic albums", to me. And UG very nearly comes close. It was a huge step in the right direction in its casual, relaxed vibe. She wasn't setting out to set the world on fire, just make sure cozy album. In that respect, she succeeded. (Although, Björk's coziest album, Vespertine, wins the gold.)
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Seaward View Post
    While Medulla through Biophilia failed to truly enthrall me, her daringness to be experimental and think outside the box was never in question. I have respect for those albums even if I don't love them. The same cannot be said for Tori's slump. Vulnicura is a solid classic which holds up to any of Björk's "classic albums", to me. And UG very nearly comes close. It was a huge step in the right direction in its casual, relaxed vibe. She wasn't setting out to set the world on fire, just make sure cozy album. In that respect, she succeeded. (Although, Björk's coziest album, Vespertine, wins the gold.)
    Have to agree with Darwin here. Bjork has always tried to push into new sonic territory and not merely phone it in like Tori did on Beekeeper and the two subsequent albums. I think Unrepentant was a solid effort that recalled Tori's past while innovating at a personal, stylistic level. Although I think that recording worked because the songs were given a lot of breathing room over a number of years. I think Tori's next work may come at a disadvantage because it's likely she's writing in response to real time events. However time will tell.

The thing about Bjork, though. She may be always trying new things sonically or thematically and all, but her actual songwriting of late fails to do anything to me. I don't need hooks per se but her constant meandering vocal lines make most of her recent output sound quite similar if you take away the production.
    I'd truly rather have another Beekeeper than a Vulnicura.
    post28!

Quote Originally Posted by wout View Post
    The thing about Bjork, though. She may be always trying new things sonically or thematically and all, but her actual songwriting of late fails to do anything to me. I don't need hooks per se but her constant meandering vocal lines make most of her recent output sound quite similar if you take away the production.
    But that's where Tori has missed the mark, see? In her case both songwriting AND production haven't lived up to her previous work. You can't strip down something like Hoochie Woman in a solo piano performance and pretend its good material. At least that how I see it.
    Last edited by dAmION; 04-08-2017 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wout View Post
    Even if I don't necessarily emotionally connect with what an artist is aiming for, if I can understand and appreciate the artist's intention, then I have an understanding of their work. But The Beekeeper is like a shroud over the intend and the emotion of the artist. Whereas, Björk's work since Medulla has been more impassive or more focused on "absolute" music than programmatic / emotive music, I always understood her intend and can appreciate and receive what she's aiming for.

Whereas Tori was avoiding any sort of truth or authenticity in her art. Björk was exploring an authentic voice that was outside of something that was motivated by internal emotional inspiration. And I understood and appreciated that, even if with stuff like Volta I didn't enjoy it. But Medulla, Biophilia, Vulnicura - those are giant pillars of artistic achievement in the world of popular music. Stunning works of musical merit with different focuses.

Quote Originally Posted by The Seaward View Post
    Nail on the head here.

Quote Originally Posted by dAmION View Post
    But that's where Tori has missed the mark, see? In her case both songwriting AND production haven't lived up to her previous work. You can't strip down something like Hoochie Woman in a solo piano performance and pretend its good material. At least that how I see it.
    Well, sure, Hoochie Woman is awful in all ways... You pick the absolute worst example here.
    But in terms of what I personally prefer to listen to, I enjoy songs like Parasol / Knickers / Jamaica / Mother Revolution / Barons / Beekeeper / Martha / Mary's / Toast simply much more than most stuff from Vulnicura (exception for Stonemilker).

Sure, they are miles away from being on the same level artistically. I get that, I'm not a cultural philistine
    But Bjork's latest output has gone so far into the 'artistic merit' territory that I just don't find it enjoyable to listen to it anymore, which stops me from connecting to it on an emotional level. So yeah, from my own personal POV in terms of enjoyment I'd rather have another TBK to sing along to
    post28!

Over 20 years later and we're still pitting women against each other. Shame.
    I'm gonna heal myself from your religion.

Jesus.
    My face screams without an emotion