Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lionheart

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar

Lionheart

Discussion thread for Kate's second album Lionheart. All your thoughts, opinions, memories, interpretations, videos, likes and dislikes about this (underrated?) album - everything Lionheart here!

Kate Bush
    Lionheart

(EMI)
    Released: November 1978
    Chart: UK No.6

• Symphony In Blue
    • In Search of Peter Pan
    • Wow
    • Don't Push Your Foot On The Heartbrake
    • Oh England My Lionheart
    • Fullhouse
    • In the Warm Room
    • Kashka from Baghdad
    • Coffee Homeground
    • Hammer Horror

After the huge commercial success of The Kick Inside took EMI by surprise, Kate was rushed into the studio in the summer of 1978 to record a follow-up ready for that year's Christmas market. Lionheart, recorded in Nice, comprises songs written alongside or before the material on The Kick Inside with a handful of newly-written songs. After the experience, Kate took to producing her own records - and at her own pace.

- SINGLES -

"Hammer Horror"
    Released: October 1978
    Chart: UK No.44
    Tracks: Hammer Horror / Coffee Homeground

"Wow"
    Released: March 1979
    Chart: UK No.14
    Tracks: Wow / Fullhouse

NOTE: "Symphony In Blue" was also released as a single in Japan and Canada in 1979.

This is one that's near the bottom of my list, but that's a respectable place to be because I don't hate any of Kate's albums. It was the typical story: for the first album, she had all the time in the world to perfect her ideas, plus a generous advance from EMI which allowed her to devote herself to her creative approach. She studied dance with Lindsay Kemp who had worked with David Bowie. After Wuthering Heights became a hit, she was taken away from her bandmates and beloved home life to promote herself all over the world, and she found she couldn't write songs under those circumstances. So most of Lionheart was cobbled together from songs she had already written. But I think there are some brilliant songs on it. I especially love In Search of Peter Pan, Wow, Kashka from Baghdad, Coffee Homeground, and Hammer Horror.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    I have a notion that this album was made more theatrical because of the tour. I think it's a bit patchy but has some really fine songs on it like Kashka, Wow and Hammer Horror.

I kinda wish it wasn't so rushed though as I think some stuff was included to finish out the album without being as strong as they might have been otherwise.

Even though TRS was my first Kate album, TWS was my second and on it was Wow from Lionheart. It really took my breath away and got me hooked on Lady Bush. I still love this song to pieces.

As for the album, as with others it is near the bottom of the list, however I feel Coffee Homeground was really telling of albums to come. Kashka, Hammer Horror, and Symphony in Blue are other faves. Really, Fullhouse is the only stinker, and even it isn't horrid.

I had heard all the albums from NFE to TRS by the time I got this in my hands (December 1996 to be exact). One can only imagine how disappointed I was. Only Hammer Horror really stood out as amazing. Naturally I had no expectations for TKI after this but boy was I stunned! Later I learnt Kate was only given 3 months to come up with another album after the debut and was forced to go through her old home recordings/ TKI-leftovers to get enough material in time. She should have included Maybe.

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    Under-rated! I actually like it a bit better than TKI. (Actually there's very much a Kid A / Amnesiac type thing here. They're quite properly companion albums, and Lionheart is the weirdo scattershot B side to TKI's A side. Lionheart is not as cohesive or focused but ultimately it is more lovable, to me at least, maybe because it is so weird and theatrical.)

Also, it's totally her gayest album. Totally!

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    I especially love In Search of Peter Pan, Wow, Kashka from Baghdad, Coffee Homeground, and Hammer Horror.
    me too.

I don't think I've ever made it though the whole album.

Aw, I love Lionheart! I agree with kollins; it's the crazy cousin to TKI, and it has a weirdness about it that even The Dreaming can't touch.

There aren't any real standouts besides Wow, but it all holds together nicely. It makes great listening on those winters when you wake up at 1:00 in the morning and can't fall back asleep...and I mean that in a good way!

Despite having listened to Kate Bush since roughly 1982, I've never actually posted in this subforum. (!!)

I've always thought of this album as sides 3 and 4 of The Kick Inside. To me, it's definitely an underrated piece.

the problem with this one that it isnt cohesive as TKI and thats why people are slagging it off! but IMO the songs in here are better than the songs in TKI! Hammer Horror, Coffee Homeground, Wow and Oh England are all Kate Classics by all means..and then there was this great line in Symphony In Blue that made me fall head over heels for Kate!

Quote Originally Posted by ej View Post
    Despite having listened to Kate Bush since roughly 1982, I've never actually posted in this subforum. (!!)
    I'm so glad to see you here! I agree with your post, too.

I adore 'In Search of Peter Pan' and 'Oh England My Lionheart'. 'Coffee Homeground' is hilariously weird.

I haven't really listened to the rest enough to form much of an opinion, mainly because the initial listens were off-putting.

Which tracks should I give another try?

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Wow, Hammer Horror, Symphony In Blue and Kashka From Baghdad are all fantastic songs.

Lionheart has really good songs. The only one I'm not overly fond of is "In The Warm Room".

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar

I [heart] Lion[heart]

It's probably the album that I play all the way through the most often.

Symphony in Blue is beauty, Wow's a career saving single, Lionheart is so teenage poetry wonderful, and Hammer Horror is particularly delicious too. The sound production is so, well, Warm and Soothing.

My favourite Kate album sleeve, from a very strong field. Her mane! And I can smell the damp on that wall paper. Do we know if it was an actual attic room or a studio construction?

By current industry practices it would probably have been repacked as "TKI Bonus Disc 2 Special Edition" for a re-release rather than popping out as a second, and it's telling that they went back to TKI to lead the On Stage EP with Them Heavy People.

I [heart] Lion[heart] very much.