Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lionheart

Fullhouse never gets enough love. It's a great song.

"Remember yourself" love that part
    In the Warm Room is a nice album track, doesn't really bother me, but doesn't stand out either
    oh, and (edit) it's funny but everytime I think I should maybe listen to some Kate Bush, this is always the first album that comes to mind. It's really accesible. I think I've already said that it's my favorite?!
    Last edited by yoshi; 04-03-2014 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardG View Post
    Fullhouse never gets enough love. It's a great song.

Love Fullhouse.

moved into a trailer park thunderpanda's Avatar
    I have to confess Lionheart is my least-listened-to Kate album. I've been trying to find more love for it in my heart, because I find it quite impossible that I wouldn't have deep affection for every single album... Could you all recommend me a "way into" this classic?

I think I'm affected from reading how the album was rushed, not fully realised, how the songs didn't really chart well at all, and "Wow" is pretty much the only song on here I know the words too... Although I'm intimately familiar with the rest of her discography. It just strikes me as an odd thing, this album. I'd enjoy tips

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    Most days I prefer Lionheart. I think of Lionheart as The Kick Inside's weirder, more diverse companion/sister album. I can even think of them as a double album of sorts, because most of the songs on Lionheart were written before TKI and considered for inclusion on TKI. Lionheart is the obvious b-side (not a bad thing - possibly a good thing, or at least I think so) - it's less commercial, less cohesive, more daring, more eccentric.

It's a little bit "'Coffee Homeground' and Other Songs" for me but that song is my absolute favorite of everything pre-Dreaming.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    The melody of Coffee Homeground is one of the most bonkers she's ever written. It's up there with Joni's "My Old Man" for pure oddness with the strange leaps and turns and changes of key in one melody line, yet the vocal performance makes it sound perfectly natural.

basically. and the vocals and arrangement just optimise the melody and are equally fascinating in their own right

eeee I'm listening right now and the percussion has me giggling

I always think of Lionheart as a strange little storybook of an album, perfect for listening to on dark autumnal nights. Up there with my very favourite Kate albums.

As an odd aside, from the very first time I heard Top of the City in 1993, I imagined Kate sitting atop a skyscraper, in the lion suit from the cover of this album. Why, I don't know. But that's how it has for me and has remained so...

Gareth

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Wow, Don't Push Your Foot on the Heartbrake, Oh England My Lionheart, Kashka from Baghdad, and Hammer Horror are all standout tracks for me. This album is so underrated.

Great to see some Lionheart love!

Oh England My Lionheart from the Tour of Life is awesome. It gets me emotional every time I hear it.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    Most days I prefer Lionheart. I think of Lionheart as The Kick Inside's weirder, more diverse companion/sister album. I can even think of them as a double album of sorts, because most of the songs on Lionheart were written before TKI and considered for inclusion on TKI. Lionheart is the obvious b-side (not a bad thing - possibly a good thing, or at least I think so) - it's less commercial, less cohesive, more daring, more eccentric.
    Agreed! It is a lovely album, considering how it came to be.

moved into a trailer park thunderpanda's Avatar
    After listening more to the album, I find that Lionheart is probably the album where Kate's voice and singing is the most similar to what Joanna Newsom came to do much, much later and is now known for. It's that beautiful high-pitch slightly childish and not so polished some-would-call-it-wailing... Love it. But I do find it a bit jarring for an entire album, which is why I also don't listen thaaat much to The Kick Inside - I've just come to love adult Kate's earthier voice so extremely much.

Album art collage!