Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Never For Ever

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar

Never For Ever

Discussion thread for Kate's third album Never For Ever. All your thoughts, opinions, memories, interpretations, videos, likes and dislikes about this album - everything NFE here!

Kate Bush
    Never For Ever

(EMI)
    Released: September 1980
    Chart: UK No.1
    • Babooshka
    • Delius (Song of Summer)
    • Blow Away (For Bill)
    • All We Ever Look For
    • Egypt
    • The Wedding List
    • Violin
    • The Infant Kiss
    • Night Scented Stock
    • Army Dreamers
    • Breathing

Kate's third album found her taking on production duties for the first time, aided by Lionheart engineer Jon Kelly. The album, which came two years after its predecessor, found Kate experimenting with the Fairlight CMI to create an array of unusual sounds and textures. Upon its release, it became the first album by a British female solo artist to reach UK No.1 and was her first album to reach the position.

- SINGLES -

"Breathing"
    Released: April 1980
    Chart: UK No.16
    Tracks: Breathing / The Empty Bullring

"Babooshka"
    Released: June 1980
    Chart: UK No.5
    Tracks: Babooshka / Ran Tan Waltz

"Army Dreamers"
    Released: September 1980
    Chart: UK No.16
    Tracks: Army Dreamers / Delius / Passing Through Air

I see this terrific album as a bridge between the more accessible early Kate and the brave experimentalism of The Dreaming. The album also made history by being the first ever UK number one album by a female artist.
    Legend has it that there was a track called Never For Ever excluded from the album but this has never been confirmed (?) by a reliable source. A remaster is long over due and should include the great b-side cuts The Empty Bullring, Ran Tan Waltz, Un Baiser D'enfant and Passing Through Air.

Okay. Something has gone very wrong here. I did not know this album exists. HOW DID THAT HAPPEN??

So far, my first impression is BEST KATE COVER EVER!

Next I will have to track it down.

Oh you must hear it! Has some of the classics - Babooshka, Army Dreamers, Breathing - and I also love Delius and Egypt a lot too.

From her 1979 Christmas special

I know those three songs...live or youtube?) versions only. I think Babooshka was also given to me on a very early mix that got me checking into Kate. I guess in all these years it never occurred to me to wonder where it came from. Maybe I know more than I think I do too, what with various mp3's over the years, but I'm dumbfounded it has escaped me so long in album form and bound to rectify the situation.

Egypt: totally new to me today. Thanks. I love her. 'Twas a great little clip. Those eyes.

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    The Infant Kiss = Kate's creepiest song? I always forget about it. Egypt, too. I guess because there are those iconic singles on there.

This album has so many fantastic classics on it, and is the perfect bridge between 70's singer-songwriter Kate and 80's art-rock experimental-pop Kate.
    Last edited by Michael Michael; 06-17-2010 at 02:19 PM.

^ Gets my vote.

I've know that song forever too. I don't know. I must have made the assumption long ago some of these were b-sides.

I’m about to dive into this album for the first time. I’m a big fan of The Dreaming and The Red Shoes. Any advice or warnings?

Have you heard the earlier albums?

Like MrQuin and kollins said, it's a great bridge between the first two albums and the more experimental ones like The Dreaming and Hounds Of Love. I think it's a great record, not quite up there with The Dreaming but a great step forward for Kate.

I've heard Wuthering Heights and that's about it from before The Dreaming.

Ah you have some gems to discover

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairn View Post
    Okay. Something has gone very wrong here. I did not know this album exists. HOW DID THAT HAPPEN??

So far, my first impression is BEST KATE COVER EVER!

Next I will have to track it down.
    It is definitely the best album cover of hers. I completely love it. All the art inside is linked to it too. I love my vinyl copy as the artwork is bigger and I get to really see how detailed it is.

Quote Originally Posted by oliver View Post
    I’m about to dive into this album for the first time. I’m a big fan of The Dreaming and The Red Shoes. Any advice or warnings?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliver View Post
    I've heard Wuthering Heights and that's about it from before The Dreaming.
    Wow! Never For Ever does link the early albums with the 80's stuff, like people have said, so you'll find it bridges the gap between Wuthering Heights and The Dreaming quite well.

Icon15

Also, the 1979 Christmas Special is a must. I can't imagine the BBC letting anyone do something like that anymore, and it's even more astonishing when you consider that in 1979 there were only 3 channels to choose from and they let the crazy lady take over one of those channels during prime time. My favourite performance from the Christmas Special is

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    ^ ooh, all of those are wonderful. Ryan very nicely made me a little DVD of that show. I it so much.

I should find them all on youtube and make a thread of them.

I love that Wedding List performance!

Thanks for posting!