Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Never For Ever

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    One of my favorite songs and videos came from this album:

So creepy.

About The Infant Kiss (one of my favorites from this album):

http://gaffa.org/cloud/music/the_infant_kiss.html

I don't know if anyone's seen a film called The Innocents, it initially inspired it. It's an old British film, a very haunting film about a governess who goes to stay and look after two children, a young boy and a young girl. And unknown to her, they're both possessed by the spirits that lived in the before, the gardener and a maid. And particulary the boy is in a very, very heavy possession state, he has a.. like a thirty two year old man inside him as a spirit. And the governess will go to give him a little goodnight and he suddenly gives her a very big passionate kiss. And the song is about the woman being incredibly torn, she doesn't what's happening because there's this really sweet little boy that she loves maternally and yet through his eyes there's coming this really wicked, lusty man. And so she can't work out what's happening, she thinks she's going mad when in fact there is this terribly evil force in such a young child that could never have this experience through his own age. And so she's just freaking out saying "my God, what's happening."

Yeah.

And it was a distortion that I myself would find terribly disturbing...

And me..

And I really love distortions. (1980, Never For Ever Debut)

Icon15

Never for Ever is the Kate album I tend to play the most. It's definitely my sentimental favorite. I can't help but smile when I hear the first few notes of Babooshka.

it was listed as one of the best covers in a UK mag but I forget which one.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    I adore this album because, as people have already said, it's very much a transitional piece. It perfectly blends the best of the previous two with the sounds of what was to come. While I think that The Dreaming was her first perfect album, Never For Ever comes pretty darn close.

I've always loved how Brian Froud this image is. Does anybody know the artist?

His name is Nick Price.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    His name is Nick Price.
    Thanks, Nancy.

Icon15

What could be under here, I wonder?

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    ^ It IS such a fantastic album. I bet it sounds great on record too, its the only record I own, now I just need a player.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairn View Post
    What could be under here, I wonder?
    Yay! Glad you got it and are enjoying it. Never for Ever always strikes me as a gorgeous summer album. Whenever it's a beautiful day and I want to listen to some Kate, it's usually NFE I go for. "Delius" and "Egypt" sound just fantastic blasting out on a gorgeous sunny day.

I am truly in love.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I realised that we've passed the 30th anniversary of Never for Ever.

I do love this album a lot. Although her voice hadn't yet completely attained the richness of the mid-'80s, I think she made great strides vocally here (and especially on The Dreaming) and obviously her production and vision for the songs were inspired. I think the trio of singles - "Breathing," "Babooshka," "Army Dreamers" - are astounding.

I really think this album is a great example of music carved to perfection, listening to it, all the care and dedication seems to pour out...
    "A universe that needed someone to observe it in order to collapse it into existence would be a pretty sorry universe indeed."

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    I've always loved how Brian Froud this image is. Does anybody know the artist?
    Yes! Googled just to make sure but yeah, thought he was one of the guys behind Labyrinth. This album cover has always made me think of Labyrinth (in a good way).

This is my favourite KB album, and I always feel very underated, as are the singles from it too. 'Babooshka' is a great track, and 'Breathing' is a masterpiece. Don't think there's a single track on Never For Ever that I skip actually. It's also amazing the change on this album from TKI/LH as it was released the year after LH!