Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Never For Ever

Quote Originally Posted by soignee View Post

aawwwww. Adorbs!
    Love this!

Soignee, where DID you get that GIF? It's fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddles View Post
    I love the way the priest hams it up in that Wedding List video. Makes me laugh every time.
    That guy is her brother if I'm not mistaken...
    Last edited by eatthemusic; 06-14-2014 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eatthemusic View Post
    Soignee, where DID you get that GIF? It's fabulous.
    The Tumbles! Someone animates albums covers for a hobby.

Just a note to say I FINALLY discovered this album and I am in love Babooshka, All We Ever Looked For, Army Dreamers, where have you been all my life?

Also, definitely my favorite Kate album cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Nora View Post
    Just a note to say I FINALLY discovered this album and I am in love Babooshka, All We Ever Looked For, Army Dreamers, where have you been all my life?

Also, definitely my favorite Kate album cover.
    It's a great album with a rather delicious macabre sensibility at times - The Wedding List ("and after she shot the guy / she committed suicide" etc.) and The Infant Kiss being particularly noteworthy for that. Egypt has also always been a favourite of mine. I just love the wild imagination of it - when she screams near the end and it echoes into the distance, I always imagine some great desert bird lifting out of the reeds into the sky, and the music and chanting at the end is just gorgeous. Plus Breathing has to be one of her definitive masterpieces.

Which other Kate albums have you heard?
    Last edited by Puddles; 03-02-2015 at 01:03 PM.

Never for Ever is so lush, isn't it? Wild imagination is a perfect phrase to describe it.

I've The Kick Inside, The Dreaming, Hounds of Love, The Sensual World, and 50 Words for Snow--I'm slowly but surely making my way through her catalog! Honestly it's a process to savor

Kate's my favourite musical artist by far, so I always get a little excited when someone is just discovering her music for the first time. Taking your time with each album is really not a bad idea - I don't think there's a single one of her albums that I haven't appreciated more deeply with time.

This album for me is to Kate what To Venus and Back is to Tori. An album that fans love but I've never been able to connect to on any level. I always think I'll enjoy it if I give it another try but it hasn't clicked for me yet.

I'm trying now... still not really getting it, but not hating it either

I think of NFE very much as a bridge. Kate's progression as a songwriter, singer, lyricist, and producer was advancing on a scale few artists can match from TKI to HOL. NFE is the bridge between the piano-based, high-voiced early work and the heavily produced, highly conceptualized artistic triumphs of TD and HOL. She's experimenting very much with interesting sound effects on NFE, the songs are much more discrete and individualized in their arrangements, and she's pushing her voice in new directions (often towards a lower register, such as on Breathing). At the same time there's a playfulness and "kookiness" that is a continuation of her first two albums.

TD was already jarring enough for her fans at the time - can you imagine if she had just leapfrogged from LH to that? But at least you can kind of hear how she got there on NFE. That album was a turning point - Kate's way of showing that she was going to push herself artistically, wasn't afraid to be even weirder than people already thought, and wasn't just going to try to replicate her early success.

Well said, Puddles!

This album is more a series of moods than a series of songs. I can't wait for a sunny day with the promise of summer to listen to Delius. It's all cued up on the turntable.

Thank you! I find the whole album is nicely suited to summer - very warm and earthy.

I just picked up a new copy of Never for Ever. Waiting for the right time to play it, just don't feel ready yet.

I don't remember hearing The Infant Kiss before - that I liked! I had forgotten about Army Dreamers, so two good reasons to listen again soon.

The art for this album/time period is absolutely incredible.