Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dreaming

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar

The Dreaming

Discussion thread for Kate's fourth album The Dreaming aka "my 'she's gone mad' album." All your thoughts and opinions, videos, memories, likes, dislikes, and general feelings about it here.

Kate Bush
    The Dreaming

(EMI)
    Released: September 1982
    Chart: UK No.3 / US No.157

• Sat In Your Lap
    • There Goes A Tenner
    • Pull Out The Pin
    • Suspended In Gaffa
    • Leave It Open
    • The Dreaming
    • Night of the Swallow
    • All the Love
    • Houdini
    • Get Out Of My House

After taking on co-production duties on 1980's Never for Ever, Kate spent 1981 and 1982 producing her fourth album single-handedly and the result, The Dreaming, was released to mixed reception in September 1982. Today, it is widely regarded by fans and critics as her most important work alongside the subsequent Hounds of Love.

- SINGLES -

"Sat In Your Lap"
    Released: June 1981
    Chart: UK No.11
    Tracks: Sat In Your Lap / Lord of the Reedy River

"The Dreaming"
    Released: July 1982
    Chart: UK No.48
    Tracks: The Dreaming / Dreamtime

"There Goes A Tenner"
    Released: November 1982
    Chart: UK No.101 [did not chart]
    Tracks: There Goes A Tenner / Ne t'enfuis pas

"Suspended in Gaffa"
    Released: late 1982 (Europe single)
    Tracks: Suspended in Gaffa / Ne t'enfuis pas

"Night of the Swallow"
    Released: November 1983 (Ireland single)
    Tracks: Night of the Swallow / Houdini

I think Get Out of My House is the most "Kate" of any Kate Bush song.

I love this album. It's in my top two of Kate's, that's for sure.

I love how "weird" it is and the production on some of the songs makes it sound like it could have been made today. Great album.

Nothing is better than Get Out of My House. Who else but Kate Bush could have written a song like that?

This could be the last album with Kate making demo versions of the songs before the actual master tape recordings - not confirmed, just my speculation. And as I recall, according to the book Biography there were around 20 songs recorded/ demoed for this one... Let them leak.

Here's a snippet of an early Sat In Your Lap demo

One thing I find unusual is that Sat In Your Lap was released as a single in June 1981 when Kate was in the thick of recording The Dreaming, but the next single wasn't released for another 13 months and the album wasn't released until September 1982. Anyone know why Kate (or EMI?) decided to put out the single when the album wasn't near completion yet?

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    ^ I'm curious about the huge gap between SIYL and TD, too. No idea about the reason other than maybe it took Kate a lot longer than she or EMI thought to finish the album? Anyway, I have always loved how Sat in your Lap was this moderate hit. It was Top 20, right? Imagine it's 1981 and for the last three or four years Kate Bush has been this Babooshka-Wuthering Heights girl, and then you hear Sat in your Lap on the radio. Bonkers!

^ Maybe they wanted to test waters as this new material was very different to her previous releases. Kate was ment to release the album in late 81/ early 82 but... yes, we know how it goes when it comes to Kate and recording.

I think you're both probably right. Maybe a water-tester, maybe they thought the album was going to be out sooner, maybe they just wanted a sort of stop-gap kind of single to have something out.

Quote Originally Posted by kollins View Post
    ^ I'm curious about the huge gap between SIYL and TD, too. No idea about the reason other than maybe it took Kate a lot longer than she or EMI thought to finish the album? Anyway, I have always loved how Sat in your Lap was this moderate hit. It was Top 20, right? Imagine it's 1981 and for the last three or four years Kate Bush has been this Babooshka-Wuthering Heights girl, and then you hear Sat in your Lap on the radio. Bonkers!
    Yep. Listening to it now, Sat In Your Lap is so crazy and amazing and weird... I can only imagine what people made of it when it came out. The single peaked at UK #11. (Chart run: 26-15-11-13-18-29-35)

Hearing it when it first came out, it was a total surprise. We loved it. It made my little group of Kate fans expect the next album to be something really different from the stuff that came before, more rhythm-based songs.

She included it on The Dreaming because people asked her to!

http://gaffa.org/cloud/music/sat_in_your_lap.html

We weren't going to put it on initially, because we thought it had been a single such a long time ago, but a lot of people used to ask me if we were putting "Sat In Your Lap'' on the album and I'd say no, and they would say ``Oh why not?'' and they'd be quite disappointed. So, as the album's completion date got nearer and nearer, I eventually relented. I re-mixed the track and we put it on. I'm so glad I did now, because it says so much about side one, with its up-tempo beat and heavy drum rhythms - it's perfect for the opening track. (1982, Popix)
    And in spite of the negative reaction by the press, songs from this album were played a LOT on college radio stations in America. I think to this day it's the fan favorite, maybe tied with HoL.

Visceral. Difficult. Brilliant.

I remember absolutely loving it when it first came out - so different, and I sort of knew that this was the sort of albun I was looking for, even if I didn't know that I was looking for anything, if that makes sense?

Just stunning rhythms and layers, and feelings - everything really.

My favourite album, ever.
    It became so upon first listen, and has stayed at the top ever since.

I played it recently on a road trip, my friends could NOT believe that it was made in 1982.
    It sounds magnificent on vinyl, in surround sound.

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    Sat in Your Lap was "remixed" for the album, does this mean the single version is different?! OMG different version of a Kate song = me freaking out. (how lame is that?)

whose wheels are squeaking arsonist samael's Avatar
    My favourite album of hers. So weird and wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by JIM View Post
    Sat in Your Lap was "remixed" for the album, does this mean the single version is different?! OMG different version of a Kate song = me freaking out. (how lame is that?)
    The difference is very subtle. The vocals are a bit lower in the mix and I guess that's it.
    Last edited by MrQuin; 07-06-2010 at 11:01 AM.