Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dreaming

Quote Originally Posted by howieDae View Post
    My favourite album, ever.
    It became so upon first listen, and has stayed at the top ever since.

I played it recently on a road trip, my friends could NOT believe that it was made in 1982.
    It sounds magnificent on vinyl, in surround sound.
    It frequently pops up in a record shop down the road here and some day I NEED to buy it (and then buy a record player).
    This is hands-down my favourite Kate album. I absolutely love everything about it to an insane degree.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I listened to my just-bought vinyl of The Dreaming today and remain almost bewildered by how truly extraordinary this record is. Her imagination, her risk-taking, the melodic beauty, the lyrics, the richness in her voice, the way she sings, the effects, the instrumentation... I just sat there almost in a trance marvelling at it.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Am listening now to the album on new headphones. Am in drums and bass heaven.
    (The bass in "Suspended in Gaffa" is crazy!)

Also, my recent re-listening to the album has revealed "Leave It Open" as a big new fave. Those piano chords = Kate's most scary chords ever?

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    I listened to my just-bought vinyl of The Dreaming today and remain almost bewildered by how truly extraordinary this record is. Her imagination, her risk-taking, the melodic beauty, the lyrics, the richness in her voice, the way she sings, the effects, the instrumentation... I just sat there almost in a trance marvelling at it.
    The amazing thing about The Dreaming is you can hone in on any one aspect of the album and be equally impressed and awed. Pull Out The Pin is a prime example for me insofar as the way every component/element/aspect of the track works to support the narrative. It's like a 5 minute theatrical production, complete with sets, actors, and sound effects, but with no gimmick on display. And the lyrics, both harrowing and humorous, relay an entire life perspective without ever coming across as preachy. It's no wonder it takes her so long to finish an album when you consider the amount of thought that goes into every minute of every track.

Today, this album is my best friend. I cannot get enough. I didn't know what I needed this morning, and this brilliant piece of work is providing it all. Perfuckingfection.

Banned
    I love The Dreaming. Upon first listen I thought a few of the tracks were a bit too weird, in patricular Leave it Open and Get Out of My House, but they've become favourites now. Suspended in Gaffa is the most loved from the album and one of my favourite songs altogether.

I speak the truth. Hipsters suck. WhoIsThisTerrorist's Avatar
    This album is a masterpiece and my absolute favorite. That is all.

I rank it as Kate's best album EVAR. It's pretty much got everything I expect and want from an album.

Oh shit!!! Love this album!

So I listened to HOL a while ago and loved it but haven't explored Kate further until now. I think I like The Dreaming even better than HOL!

I'm surprised that Sat In Your Lap was a late addition...it's one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Soda View Post
    Oh shit!!! Love this album!

So I listened to HOL a while ago and loved it but haven't explored Kate further until now. I think I like The Dreaming even better than HOL!

I'm surprised that Sat In Your Lap was a late addition...it's one of my favorites.
    It's sooo close, but The Dreaming does beat out HOL by a hair.

mmm...not coming in to be an asshole, but i still haven't been able to understand how great this album is. I gave it a try yesterday, and my instant response was "wtf?" It is a very weird record even to Kate Bush's standard. I spent quite a long time getting to her other albums, which I love now mostly except The Sensual World. Would anyone mind shed some light on me, pretty please? This album just sounds like everything all pushed at once to me ...

^ Yes, it can be a difficult album to get into. It is very rewarding when you do, though. Iím not sure what you mean by ďeverything all pushed at onceĒ, but if youíre trying to say that you donít understand why it sounds so weird and intense, it may help you to look at the lyrics. Kate is expressing a variety of different emotions, representing many characters, and telling stories through her vocals and production techniques. The Dreaming is designed to immerse the listener fully in each song and play with their emotions and imagination. For instance, ďPull Out the PinĒ is about the Vietnam war and American soldiers from the perspective of a Vietnamese soldier. Someone said earlier in this thread that the songs on The Dreaming are like theatrical productions, and I think that is a very apt description.

You may find these descriptions of each song from Kate's newsletter helpful:

That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar
    I am very new to Kate — freaking late I know!— and since I mostly listen to her at work this is the one album that held my attention through its entirety, it's just pure genius. I laughed the tea out of me the first time watching the Gaffa video! The shaking head, the tear down her cheek... it's now especially endearing in all its quirkiness.

"This house is full of m-m-my mess! This house is full of m-m-mistakes! This house is FULL OF M-M-MADNESS!"

I'm newish to Kate, I've only heard The Dreaming, HOL, and Aerial. I think this is my favorite so far. Basically because what menju said...so great!

Try Never For Ever next. It's where she started to get a little weird and experiment with the Fairlight. It sort of paved the way for The Dreaming.