Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: The Dreaming

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    30 years of The Dreaming being celebrated on The Quietus at the moment with an excellent article looking briefly at her early career leading up to The Dreaming: http://thequietus.com/articles/09945...h-the-dreaming

^ Incredible.
    I was about to say that it appears to have lifted a lot of research and opinion from http://vulturehound.co.uk/2012/05/30...-the-dreaming/
    but turns out it's an expansion of that piece, by the same author.

Quote Originally Posted by howieD View Post
    Seriously Kate... deluxe edition required, stat.

Happy Birthday, Dreaming!

This article is a little odd - the author is obviously a big fan of both Kate & the LP, but describing it as lacking dramatic intensity (hello, it's easily her most emotionally acute work) and not having the stamp of musical authority of her earlier work (I don't think anybody that ever heard this album could claim a lack of authority) is bizarre. Though, it's refreshing to see a Kate article that also references Tori in a positive manner.

http://liverpoolstudentmedia.com/201...trospective-2/

I haven't much wanted to listen to The Dreaming lately but i'm interested in acquiring the Fish People edition.

Denison, Tx originally from the Pacific Northwest
    I have had Suspended In Gaffa stuck in my head the past couple days. Out of all her albums Hounds of Love is my favorite and was the easiest to access when I first discovered Kate. Recently though I've been able to listen to music all day at work and listened to her. The Dreaming opened up a bit more for me, Get Out of My House was the only one I enjoyed for a long time but there were so many surprising and powerful twists through the whole album. During Pull Out the Pin when she's wailing 'I love life!' complete goosebumps. So I'm inching my way into Kate's catalogue lol, 'achievement unlocked'!
    ...the world is full of chedimo's...

Banned
    The Dreaming took a loooong time to unlock for me. I used to scratch my head that anyone could list it over Hounds of Love as their favorite. But now I'm right there with those people, it has to be one of the most inventive, magical albums I've ever heard.

I will say that I always thought the album was intriguing, it wasn't like I disliked it or anything. It just seemed impenetrable.

Right now I'm finally in the process of clicking with The Kick Inside and Lionheart. I used to think her super girly early voice was NOT FOR ME but now it's starting to work it's magic on me as well.

I remember The Dreaming taking awhile to click with me.

I love The Dreaming. actually, love is an understatement. it is my favourite musical beast, and I can't think of any other album that comes close to it .
    incredible the first animal that dreamed of another animal

This is probably my favourite album of all time.

I just broke into this album and it is fantastic. I have tried before but I couldn't get past how cheesy a lot of the effects sounded to me at first. Now, though they have all opened up and I am living for the entire thing.

The Dreaming and Night of the Swallow are my two favorites. Them U-Pipes.

Tonight I was watching a documentary called Lilydale... it's about the town by the same name in upstate New York... it's a closed community/small town that is populated entirely by psychic mediums and spiritualists. They all live together there and formed the town as a safe haven where they could be themselves without persecution.

A big portion of the doc surrounded the history of the town and how it was targeted by Harry Houdini when he was on his crusade debunking spiritualists and psychics... apparently he was going door to door and tried to discredit the town. It compelled me to go back and listen to Houdini again, and I am just so in love with that song. Yes it's beautiful, but its also so literate and so fascinating in its dynamic as a first person narrative. It's so incredible how Kate so effectively captures one person's perspective at a single moment in time marked by that one woman's quest to carry on her husband's legacy.

Houdini had an agreement with his wife. He told her that after his death, he would send her a message: "Rosabel, believe." Rosabel was a nickname he gave to his wife, and only the two of them knew it. That way, if she received that message, she could be sure it was him and it would be a confirmation to her that there is indeed life after death. She searched and searched until her death, traveling the world and consulting countless yogis, mediums, and soothsayers. She never received the message. This is all according to a biography I read on Houdini a while back.

The song is so creative, romantic, eerie, and nuanced. Her voice sounds so beautiful in it as well... her vibrato makes me swoon. From start to finish, the song is rife with obscure references, and it all comes together to really construct a mystery. When the song ends, there is some finality in the conclusion, but the listener is left to contemplate a grand mystery, not only regarding Houdini as the subject, but also surrounding the search for immortality that we all face at one point or another.
    Last edited by eatthemusic; 07-03-2014 at 07:23 AM.

OMG!!!! Look at this choreographed slideshow!!! AAA it totally encapsulates the mythology, how brilliant

Houdini live during the upcoming shows would totally rock! So fun, much theatrical.

Album art collage!