Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hounds Of Love

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar

Hounds Of Love

We already have some Ninth Wave discussion going on, but this is for general discussion about Kate's fifth album Hounds Of Love. Thoughts, opinions, memories, interpretations, videos, likes and dislikes - everything HOL here!

Kate Bush
    Hounds of Love

(EMI)
    Released: September 1985
    Chart: UK No.1 / US No.33

Hounds of Love
    • Running Up That Hill
    • Hounds of Love
    • The Big Sky
    • Mother Stands for Comfort
    • Cloudbusting

The Ninth Wave
    • And Dream of Sheep
    • Under Ice
    • Waking the Witch
    • Watching You Without Me
    • Jig of Life
    • Hello Earth
    • The Morning Fog

After the release of The Dreaming, Kate retreated to the countryside where she had her own 24-track studio built. She spent the next two years piecing together Hounds of Love, which comprises an A-side of seemingly unrelated songs and a conceptual B-side entitled "The Ninth Wave." The album returned Kate to commercial favour and represented something of a breakthrough in the US.

- SINGLES -

"Running Up That Hill"
    Released: August 1985
    Chart: UK No.3 / US No.30
    Tracks: Running Up That Hill / Under the Ivy

"Cloudbusting"
    Released: October 1985
    Chart: UK No.20
    Tracks: Cloudbusting / Burning Bridge

"Hounds of Love"
    Released: February 1986
    Chart: UK No.18
    Tracks: Hounds of Love / The Handsome Cabin Boy (UK 7") / Burning Bridge (US 7") / Alternative Hounds of Love (UK/US 12") / My Lagan Love (US 12")

"The Big Sky"
    Released: April 1986
    Chart: UK No.37
    Tracks: The Big Sky (Special Single Mix) / The Big Sky (Meteorological Mix) (12") / Not This Time

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I am listening to this album right now, and I realised I've paid most attention in the past to the songs, the instrumentation, the melodies, the atmosphere. But my goodness, her voice! It is absolutely beautiful. The vocals in Cloudbusting and Mother Stands For Comfort and Hello Earth... just perfect. Range, control, precision, power; she doesn't overdo anything at any point.

I know people who think Kate Bush IS Wuthering Heights, that's her voice, that's it. I would play them this album.

Banned
    "Running Up That Hill (A Deal with God)" used to get played every once inawhile on Q101's RetroLunch hour, and I liked it. But when I actually bought HOL, and put it in my cd player and RUTH came on...it was something else altogether. I could not make the volume go loud enough. The way it fades in you have this sense that the song is about to take over your being. And then those little stabs of the synths or whatever it is. Nen-nuh. Nen-nuh. Nen-nen-nu-nu. The layering of everything. I love when she says "come on baby/come on darling...come on angel/come on darling" because depending how you want to read those lines they could be incredibly sarcastic or incredibly desperate and pleading. I usually hear it as sarcastic.

"Hounds of Love" - Like nothing else you've heard up to that point. The audacity and freedom of it. The song just propelling forward with this crazed spirit and sense of abandonment and those (I guess?) violin scratches underpinning everything.

"The Big Sky" - Great pop song. Somehow an homage to girl groups for me. Tell 'em sisters. So much 'tude and even a strange R&b sensibility for a British lass.

"Mother Stands..." Great production. The big fat bass rolling around like a pig in mud. And the Fairlight? maybe making these spacey noises - like wind blowing as the drums bounce around from speaker to speaker. And then the piano. Sounds like a mess on paper but so beautiful and unique in execution.

Cloudbusting - One of the best pop songs in history. As menju56 said above - THE VOCAL(S)!! Bending and swooning and dipping and shouting. Absolutely irrestible. Building and building until that once in a lifetime finale. Some of the lines I picture Kate singing with this little smirk - or hint of a smile - "I'm cloudbusting, daddy" before throwing her head back to join the yeah yeah---eee yoooooo choir of voices.

And dream of sheep Wow so tender. This might get me in trouble but Tori cannot go this sensitive like Kate can. Tori lapses into the baby talk voice and we know Tori has issues with sexualizing everything. (Read her Rolling Stone cover article, she criticizes her own performances for being so desperately sexual). As the philosophper said, in lieu of creativity there is undue emphasis on sexuality. But Kate Bush can go to this place of vunerablitity that is beyond gender, beyond sex appeal. True compassion, true sensitivity of the most vunerable kind - and open to all: regardless of age, gender, etc. So special.

Under Ice - Really good. Pink Floyd-esque like a lot of the album.

Waking the Witch - The chorus of voices is so wonderful and musical. It's not just random snippets, the selections are incredible, the tone of voices and the placing of them in the mix, and the modulating of them - so thought out. The demon voice is a trip.

Watching You Without Me - You know so much of this album - the singing, like meju said. It reminds me of a thermin. There's this bending and modulating and unceasingness to it. It makes you want to breath in deep, fill your chest with oxygen.

Jig of Life - one of the (relatively) weaker tracks, but still very good. It's good. Don't have much to say about it

hello earth Wow the choir of male (deeper) voices. Reminds me of "Breathing" in terms of the sense of almost having to sit perfectly still and just let the music play. So haunting, vaguely religous. Dark. The gathering of the storm.

The Morning Fog very 80's but in such a delightful way. A little kiss to end the album.

Definitely my favorite Kate Bush album, even if it's the obvious cliched choice.
    Last edited by NUHN; 06-20-2010 at 10:39 PM.

let's just say I had to stop what I was doing, sit on my bed, and listen. I was that impressed the first time I put this record in my stereo.

then when I got the remastered version months later, I was put in that state of audio blissful shock once again.

IMHO ALERT!

This is Kate's best album! Take that, THE DREAMING!

Just kidding, but seriously. The back to back brilliance of The Dreaming and HOL cements her greatness for me. The first time I listened to this album, I had tears down my face by the end of The Big Sky, because it was music that made me feel GOOD to be alive. Being quite suicidal at the time, it was very alien and disturbing to feel that way. This was an album that really helped me come out, fight for my life, and be thankful for every breath that entered my lungs, every note that buzzed my ear drums and every sensation that kissed my senses.

When I was 14 or 15 a friend of mine loaned me the CD. At first listen I thought 'wow this lady sounds weird!' But then I couldn't stop playing the CD for several nights after that. It really took me to another world. Now of course I regard it as a masterpiece...I can't say 'the' because I see 'The Dreaming' as a masterpiece as well.

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    The production on this album really doesn't belong in its time. It is so innovative and evocative. And it has an interesting and well-thought-out concept that just engulfs you when listening. "Watching You Without Me" is my jam.

Very interesting to see peoples' impressions of this album. Here's a wonderful old article she wrote for the Kate Bush Club about it:

http://gaffa.org/garden/kate20.html

THE GARDEN

The Complete
    published writings
    of Kate Bush
    Kate's KBC article
    Issue 18
    Hounds Of Love songs

As I mentioned in the earlier magazine, the demos are the masters, in that we now work straight in the 24-track studio when I'm writing the songs; but the structure of this song changed quite a lot.
    So The Dreaming was indeed the last album she did demos for.

^ Unless she changed her work method since she wrote that, yes.

^According to the Aerial-era interviews she didn't.

Ah, thank you.

the right amount of dirty Mr. Fox's Avatar
    So I was listening to both parts of the album, and I was surprised (and a little saddened) at how quickly it goes by. The drumming and bass work are something I love throughout the HOL side, and I still notice things after every listen.

I LOVE the Ninth Wave. The voices spread out throughout the songs, the cracking of the ice in Under Ice, the male choir, everything about it is just perfection.

I just wish I were older, so I could've experienced the release of HOL with the rest of the world.

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the Kate
    The fourth song on this side is called Mother Stands for Comfort. It's about a son who has committed a terrible crime, and how basically, although his mother knows that he's done something wrong, she'll protect him and care for him and hide him from the people who are looking for him. It's talking about a mother's love, and how sometimes she will actually go against the morality she feels within herself about what is right and wrong, if the child is endangered.
    whut?!? This is not what I had in mind for the song at all!! I always imagined a teenager who feels guilty about growing up, somewhat trapped between childhood and adulthood.
    And then there's the fact that most of HOL is supposed to be written from a man's perspective? Interesting!

Jim, I think you can interpret it anyway you like, but I think of the movie Psycho whenever I hear Mother Stands for Comfort. I even hear echoes of Bernard Herrmann's incidental music for the film in that song.