Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hounds Of Love

Browsing this during lunch time break is rubbish, never have enough time to properly participate.

I love this album, it's probably my favourite out of the *cough* 5 I've listened to. I dived into the album knowing nothing about the concept or that there were 2 sides to it, and it's interesting how the album came across, since I listened to it only a few years ago. The opening songs familiar and yet very different to the various covers I had heard. And the transition of songs can be very jarring to the system for the first listen - yet you still want to listen to it over and over again. I'm still impressed at how each songs stand well on their own, but add the ninth wave to that, and it's mind blowing.

I never knew what Mother Stands for Comfort was about before. And I have to admit I never totally understand/pay attention to all the lyrics in songs... maybe because english is not my first language? (and I don't always go to look for lyrics ) However, I always thought that for a song about mother and comfort/love, there was a great sadness to it, almost as if the person wishes that their mother would be more strict with them and less indulgent.

And dream of sheep was pretty much played in loop when I first listened to it - it's both heart wrenching and soothing at the same time... I also listened to it at a time when I was thinking "why do I bother?" with regards to a lot of things, so the emotions/feelings in the song, that wish of wanting to give up in a way was tangible to me.

Then comes Under ice. Real jolt to the system, which made sense when i read about the ninth wave. I think i must have mentioned it before, but around the beginning, i was listening to it once on the bus back home, absolutely tired from work, and the song actually got a shudder from me. I'm still surprised at it, and now wonder if whether that was because all my defences were down, and hence I was more open to feel/get absorbed in the song?

I love the start of waking the witch, the voices, the accents and the personas you create in your mind to go with them. And yes, the contrast - it makes you think "where the hell is she going with this??!". Oh, and I have a mini crush on that "wake up love" voice

I've already written my opinion on hello earth and the morning fog previously, but would like to say "with just one hand held up high, I can blot you out, out of sight" has grabbed my heart recently, and hasn't let go yet.

I know it's not strictly on Hounds of Love, but it is on my album copy - Under the ivy. I have so much love for this song Usually favourite songs tend to change/diminish in their impact after a while, but not this one. It's definitely about nostalgia for me, I feel it more acutely as each year pass by. I always imagine her going back to the days of innocence to meet her younger self, simpler and easier times, yet being careful not to let that side of her grow up too.

After reading what everyone else has written, I had to listen to the album again

I agree that Under Ice is really scary, even though I love it so. The first time I heard it I shuddered too.

i bought this a few summers ago in toronto, and i think at the time (i was 14 or 15) it was one of the first albums that had a sense of cohesiveness to me - it felt like a whole.
    last night there was some mighty thunder and lightning and for some reason i was driving around (when i should have been tucked cozily in my bed!) and i was listening to the remix of the big sky - which is really a masterful remix. i adore it.

i haven't listened to any other of her albums, but i feel like i should get on that.

Such a gorgeous album cover.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Yes!

I know there are people who aren't too keen on it but I've always loved it lots, the font too.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    How have I never heard this?!

According to Under the Ivy, this was the initial version of the song Kate worked on in 1983 before finalising the lyric and melody and replacing the Fairlight string sound with cello. I really like it! Interesting vocal sounds.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    ^ that alternate version was included in the This Woman's Work boxset I believe.

I love the Alternate Version! It's almost like a different song entirely. She could have called it Hounds of Love Pt 2 and probably got away with it.

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar
    Alternative Hounds is gorgeous isn't it? I did this blended mix of both versions back when I was a student. There are others which make the blend less noticeable but I was after a way of clearly comparing the two versions.

Alternative is balanced 50% to the right, and being played from the 12" single with me making TINY adjustments to the revs as it plays to keep them in sync, and it has a longer intro and outro than the CD album version, which is balanced 50% to the left.

I really love that, OP!

I like that alternate version (which I hadn't heard before, thanks menju56), it's somehow warmer, more immediate than the completed take. Although the final version is still my favorite.
    Last edited by Alpha Neutral; 10-20-2015 at 10:21 AM.

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    I never liked the alternate HOL... the "run run run" chorus just doesn't do it for me. But I think I could warm up to it, now that I know it's actually an early/incomplete version.

In the garden of your mind. Tellurium's Avatar
    The first few lines of the alt version gave me goosebumps like only the best Kate music can, something that I can't say about the album version, and I love the backing vocals, but I do agree that the chorus is a bit weak. I love that she actually released an unfinished version officially, though. That seems so unlike her. And it's really interesting to see the transition from The Dreaming Kate to the more tight, pop-y song structure of HOL Kate that's in progress on this.

Listening to this album now.

!