Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hounds Of Love

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    It was the 25th anniversary of the release of Hounds of Love a couple of months ago; I do think it's held up really well overall.

Agreed!

A sheer masterpiece. Ranks very closely behind Boys for Pele as my favorite album by a musician.

I have just listened to this whole album and I fucking love it. (I'm listening to Waking the Witch again now and it is honestly scary! I guess I'm just weak to that kinda stuff, time to switch to Hounds of Love..)

After listening to Running Up That Hill I did love it but I thought most of the album would be kinda typical 80s production, it's far from it! I think my favorite track is Hounds of Love, the title track. Music wise I think I like Jig of Life the best.

I had only heard Breathing, Babooshka, and Wuthering Heights before this. I really liked them (especially Breathing) but I just kinda forgot about looking more into Kate. I'm glad I did, I like her. She's a great musician.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Oh good! You'll find lots of good advice from the great people around here. My advice is when you're ready to investigate further, you can either go straight to The Dreaming, which along with Hounds Of Love is generally considered her best/most significant work, or work up from the start with The Kick Inside.

A hits collection like The Whole Story would make a decent primer but really it's likely you'll want to investigate much further so I'd go the studio albums route. Lots of good threads here in the forum with videos and info and the like

I speak the truth. Hipsters suck. WhoIsThisTerrorist's Avatar
    Under Ice is a lot like Tori's Josephine for me: it's way too short and I could listen to it a hundred times in a row and it still wouldn't be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThisTerrorist View Post
    Under Ice is a lot like Tori's Josephine for me: it's way too short and I could listen to it a hundred times in a row and it still wouldn't be enough.
    I only hope Kate's ok under the ice.

Hounds of Love has what is probably my favorite Kate song: Watching You Without Me.

I think it's gotten to the point in my Kate fandom that I couldn't live without this album. If this album suddenly ceased to exist, I think the world (my world, at least) would stop turning or the sun would explode. HoL means so much to me, and I really think that it's made me a better person. It changed my life and the way I look at things. you, Kate!

So, I brought this album after hearing so much good stuff about it. On First Listen;

(I'll leave out RUTH, Cloudbusting and Hounds of Love because I already love them from The Whole Story).

1. And Dream of Sheep. So pretty, And I see myself listening to this and just sobbing when I'm going through emotional times. "Let me be weak.." Love that line.

2 The Big Sky. I know this is gonna grow on me so much. Its like an opener for Cloudbusting.

3 Hello Earth. This was the song from the title I thought I loved straight away, But I didnt think that much. Still, more listen perhaps.

4. Jig of Life. Instant Love (After an Intial Wtf Irish folk music moment). This is a follow up to HoL, The little girl runs home after leaving the fox to die, and has weird dreams while her family and friends party below. After only one listen I already got such vivid imagery from the song, and I love being able to connect song storys together.

5. Waking the Witch. Oh my god. So Odd. Are all those things taken from a film or just recorded for the song. I can't say I liked it. But can't say I'm not very curious to listen again.

6. Mother Stands for Comfort. I'm probably gonna earn myself some red dots here, but parts of the music in this reminded me of "Ross playing the keyboard in friends". It kinda distracted me. But again, First listen, Opinion will most likely change.

I cant fully remember the other songs well enough to comment, I would to jot down my first opinions now because I know they'll change and wanted to be able to look back.

On the album overall, Can't say its smacked me in the face as a 'omg, how did I ever not have you in my life' album. And I kinda think some of the songs arent likely to grow on me, but I'm not demanding a refund anytime soon either.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    ^ Give it time, and you'll find you'll want to eat the first part of that last sentence

Also, look at the thread about the second half of the album "The Ninth Wave" - there's a whole concept side starting with "And Dream Of Sheep" until the end. Initially split on the two sides of the vinyl record.

Some of the odder moments in the second side will start to make a bit more sense when you realise it's really one work with different songs making up the whole story. (pardon the pun)
    Last edited by ebby; 02-18-2011 at 10:38 PM.

Yeah, initially I didn't think HoL was that phenomenal, either. I liked it, but it wasn't up there with The Dreaming for me. Now I can't decide which one I like more

I think HoL is actually my favorite Kate album. I prefer it over TD by a mile. The tour de force that is The Ninth Wave just really catapults this album forwards beyond all of Kate's other albums (and most other albums, really)

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki View Post
    I think HoL is actually my favorite Kate album. I prefer it over TD by a mile. The tour de force that is The Ninth Wave just really catapults this album forwards beyond all of Kate's other albums (and most other albums, really)
    I agree. The identity of the album as a whole, its two halves, and each of the songs within them, all contribute so many layers to its cohesive depth and breadth. TD has brilliant music and storytelling unquestionably but HoL takes me with 'her' (the performer throughout and the character in The Ninth Wave connected to every single note of the journey.

Cool!

http://www.katebushnews.com/index.ph...udio-fidelity/

Audio Fidelity, the US company that remastered Kate’s Hounds of Love album last year (in a popular gatefold vinyl edition) is releasing a limited edition 4-track 10″ vinyl Hounds of Love EP, with tracks chosen by Kate, on April 16th. Pressed on pink vinyl, Side 1 features The Big Sky and Cloudbusting and Side 2 features Watching You Without Me and Jig of Life.

“On Saturday, April 16th, the music community comes together and honors the independent record retailers on RECORD STORE DAY.

This is a one day event and last year 1,400 retail outlets around the world participated in this special day.

Audio Fidelity will be participating this year with a special 10″ colored vinyl Collector’s Limited Edition of Kate Bush’s “Hounds Of Love”.

This 10″ colored vinyl will have 4 tracks and will retail for $14.98. As this is a special collector’s limited edition, with Kate’s blessing, we will only be manufacturing 1,000 copies. Once those are gone, we will manufacture no more.

You will be able to purchase only one (1) copy per club membership should you choose to purchase this title.

We need to have your order in ASAP to reserve your limited edition collector’s copy. As I mentioned, we are only making 1,000 copies and the demand from retail far surpasses that number.”