Page 1 of 165 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Let England Shake: the all-purpose thread.

Thumbs up Let England Shake: the all-purpose thread.

For all news and general PJ Harvey miscellany.

The latest album news is from John Parish saying he has finished recording the new PJ album.

A new album this year? Let's hope so.

I wonder if Polly will be at any of the shows... I may go to the Paris one; I'd love to hear some more of his music.

I think I'll go see John as the venue in London is really tiny and the stage is only a foot high. Really intimate!

I hope Polly doesn't release anything until the winter and leaves touring until then as well. Selfish, I know! Just thinking of my budget and all the gigs, festivals and travel lined up this year for me.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I'd be very surprised if we get anything before October/November at the earliest. Perhaps early 2011 even? She sat on UHH for a few months before finally releasing it, and I think a similar thing happened with White Chalk?

But suffice it to say that when she next tours, I am there. Saw her with John Parish on the A Woman A Man Walked By tour in April 2009 and was fantastic.

I'm hoping for an early Winter release, just in time for the holidays. I've been revisiting Let England Shake, and it is quite a remarkable song. And lyrically, one of Polly's best. I have a hunch this album is going to be something really special. And Peej needs her own forum!

Quote Originally Posted by lexa View Post
    I think I'll go see John as the venue in London is really tiny and the stage is only a foot high. Really intimate!
    I saw him at a tiny club in SF a couple of years ago. Bumped into him in the loo, I think he was waiting for me to leave.

London? Might Polly be there?

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    This was the first PJ Harvey performance I saw, on a 'Best of Later' retrospective show. It made me a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum 509 View Post
    I saw him at a tiny club in SF a couple of years ago. Bumped into him in the loo, I think he was waiting for me to leave.

London? Might Polly be there?
    I doubt Polly would be there! Unless she comes in a very good disguise.

Some really exciting news found on The Garden (courtesy of Aurora):

Apparently fashion designer Ann Demeulemeester is designing the clothing for both Polly's upcoming album AND tour, including her band. This is amazing news both because I love synchronized fashion and because Polly is doing a proper tour with a band for her forthcoming album! Demeulemeester also designed the crow-feathers Polly wore on the Andrew Marr show.

Oh cool! I did love those crow feathers. Thanks for posting!

Ann Demeulemeester is a great designer, her looks vary between being very dramatic and feminine and calmer and more androgynous so it'll be interesting to see what direction these outfits go in. It's also great that she's dressing the band since that'll make for a cohesive look and stage presence and that PJ is putting this kind of thought into her tour already.

PJ plans ahead! Unlike some people (bloody Tori Amos, for example!).

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    Oooh. I thought she was lovely on Andrew Carr. What does everyone think of "Let England Shake"?

Banned
    I like "Let England Shake". The use of the sample puts me in mind of the ending of The Shining where that 20's music is being played. The sense of being trapped in an era of nostalgia and decay. I like the idea of PJ making quasi-political statements. I just do wonder if she's more conservative than I might like. But anyway I like the song.
    Last edited by NUHN; 06-17-2010 at 03:12 AM.