Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sensual World

whose wheels are squeaking arsonist samael's Avatar
    This album proved to be very difficult for me. It might be my short attention span or not being in the right mood whenever I listened to it, but I never managed to get past Heads We're Dancing. I blame it on The Fog and Reaching Out immensely tiring me out. I still do not enjoy those two tracks. The Fog bores me, and Reaching Out doesn't spark any kind of emotion in me. By the time I got half-way through to HWD, I always turned it off.

So, interestingly enough, although Nancy mentioned it being an autumn album, I decided to take it to the beach with me, and push through it, and oh my god. The latter half is amazing! I'm creaming over the band's playing, arrangements and the backing vocals. I'm beginning to fall in love. I hope to someday warm to those fatal two tracks.

In the garden of your mind. Tellurium's Avatar
    ^ I love The Fog but I can see it being boring to some. Reaching out is definitely just-ok. I'd never listen to it outside of the album context, but I don't go "UGGGHHH!!! SKIP!". This album is great, but definitely a bit patchier than what we'd seen from Kate in the previous three albums. But I actually really enjoy all the other songs. Heads and Between included.

I worked at a Starbucks, and one of the tracks they had on the "Contemporary Grind" mix was Reaching Out. When I heard it I was visibly upset that of all the Kate tracks they could've picked, they went with Reaching Out (Kate gets so little exposure in Canada every bit of it is a big deal to me, also I'm a loser)... But I guess that's what I should expect from Starbucks, music-wise.

Aw.

Banned
    I feel the exact opposite! I love The Fog and Reaching Out. I think I said earlier that this album is incredibly top-heavy to me. The second half is where i don't LOVE all the tracks. (But I still like them).

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellurium View Post
    ^ I love The Fog but I can see it being boring to some. Reaching out is definitely just-ok. I'd never listen to it outside of the album context, but I don't go "UGGGHHH!!! SKIP!". This album is great, but definitely a bit patchier than what we'd seen from Kate in the previous three albums. But I actually really enjoy all the other songs. Heads and Between included.

I worked at a Starbucks, and one of the tracks they had on the "Contemporary Grind" mix was Reaching Out. When I heard it I was visibly upset that of all the Kate tracks they could've picked, they went with Reaching Out (Kate gets so little exposure in Canada every bit of it is a big deal to me, also I'm a loser)... But I guess that's what I should expect from Starbucks, music-wise.
    It's funny, I've heard RUTH about 5 times in various Canadian Starbucks in various provinces. I would've thought that was the obvious song to choose, not Reaching Out! I would definitely have a little 'wtf' moment if that came over the pa.

I think Kate has a modestly higher profile in Canada than in the USA. At least, wikipedia says The Sensual World (album) was #16 on our charts VS #43 in the states (and #2 in the UK, of course)

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I think "The Fog" is one of the most gorgeous songs in her entire catalogue.

Much has been made of the 'Unholy Trinity' at the centre of the album but I've always loved "Deeper Understanding."

In the garden of your mind. Tellurium's Avatar
    Yeah, kollins, a month or so later they released a mix CD with RUTH, so that song got a lot of play in the stores to promote it. A much more logical choice, IMO. Although everyone I talked to thought it was either Cyndi Lauper or a generic remix/cover of the Placebo version (I know)... So really, I should just give up all hope.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    I love "Deeper Understanding", I really truly do. It was very prescient of how people would use computers. In the end, we're all using technology to try and connect to people, be it mobile phones, internet or whatever. Sure, some of the technical terms she uses are a bit dated now, but the rest of the song sounds gorgeous. I love the Trio in it.

If you get rid of "Heads We're Dancing" and "Between A Man And A Woman" though, the album is a lot stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by kollins View Post
    It's funny, I've heard RUTH about 5 times in various Canadian Starbucks in various provinces. I would've thought that was the obvious song to choose, not Reaching Out! I would definitely have a little 'wtf' moment if that came over the pa.

I think Kate has a modestly higher profile in Canada than in the USA. At least, wikipedia says The Sensual World (album) was #16 on our charts VS #43 in the states (and #2 in the UK, of course)
    It was also released as a lovely pic disc in Canada when instead the US and UK got uglier CDs.

Not yet warm up to this album. As some guys mentioned above, this album is a bit ... mmm ... boring to me. I love "This woman's work", but nothing besides this song at the moment. Maybe I should give me another try, but what bothers me most is the mixing and production. The songs sound lacking in layers...it is like i am listening clouds

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    I agree about the mixing / mastering of the album being bad (it needs a remaster so desperately), but for some reason I always found the title track and The Fog to be exceptions. On my copy at least, they sound so rich and full. When those deep strings come in on 'The Fog,' I just feel it all over my body! Also I think the title track is just the best, so subtle at first, but it sneaks up on you.

I speak the truth. Hipsters suck. WhoIsThisTerrorist's Avatar
    It's funny, people say this album is uneven and in need of remastering. I couldn't disagree more. I agree with the poster(s) who said it sounds so warm, lush, and atmospheric, I think those are perfect words to describe it. I also love Reaching Out, it's one of my favorite Kate songs ever. I love all three of the songs in the so-called "Unholy Trinity" too. In fact, I've always thought this album was WAY more cohesive than Hounds of Love, which I think is a wee bit overrated.

Unholy trinity my arse! Deeper Understanding is definitely one of the highlights on the album among Never Be Mine, The Fog and TWW. Heads We're Dancing I could live without, the intro to Between A Man And A Woman is nice but then it gets jarring and hollow. Looking forward to the (remastered?) re-issue!

Quote Originally Posted by MrQuin78 View Post
    Unholy trinity my arse! Deeper Understanding is definitely one of the highlights on the album among Never Be Mine, The Fog and TWW. Heads We're Dancing I could live without, the intro to Between A Man And A Woman is nice but then it gets jarring and hollow. Looking forward to the (remastered?) re-issue!
    I LOVE Deeper Understanding. I don't understand how anyone could think it's bad. It has substance, man! Plus, I love the computerized Kate voice. If my computer talked to me with the voice of Kate Bush I think I'd neglect my bodily needs, too.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I've always found "Deeper Understanding" gorgeous and one of the best uses of the Trio Bulgarka on the record. The song has a lush, warm, yet sad quality that to me sums up the autumnal feel of TSW very well.