Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sensual World

Plus that song is even more relevant today. With the internet and stories about people actually neglecting their health, it seems to be more of a prophetic omen if anything.

So I decided to give Deeper Understanding about four listens before i came up with this: It has got to be the worst song of hers that i have heard...so far. Not interesting with a hint of embarassment. Now, if it was used for Batteries Not Included the movie, i would appreciate it more.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000sparks View Post
    So I decided to give Deeper Understanding about four listens before i came up with this: It has got to be the worst song of hers that i have heard...so far. Not interesting with a hint of embarassment. Now, if it was used for Batteries Not Included the movie, i would appreciate it more.
    I feel this way about Heads, We're Dancing, but definitely not about Deeper Understanding. While the technological vernacular may be a bit dated, I find the subject matter eerily relevant today. And I love the melancholy tone of the music, the production, and the synthesized chorus of voices.

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    I have loved this album from the very first time I listened to it. It does feel very honest and heartfelt, like someone mentioned earlier in the thread.
    I do NOT see how the album has "poor technical quality" or "sounds dated", like I've read for years and years, though.
    I think this album sounds perfectly fine, and the string arrangements in "Reaching Out" have got to be one of the highlights in her career.
    Now, if only I had it on vinyl... I would be one really happy camper.

The Sensual World is so incredibly gorgeous- I never get tired of it. Maybe never will. The hysteria in Rocket's Tail... The Fog makes me feel completely enamored. The Bulgaria accompaniment in Never Be Mine is perfect. It gives me chills, every time. It makes the song. It showcases the longing a desire described in the lyrics.

The new master is good!
    Last edited by Alamo; 04-08-2011 at 09:05 AM.

^ I recently received my audio fidelity copies and have finally had a little time to play one of them (bought a second one to keep unopened. :P).

I can say that it is a REAL remaster. At the same time, they went out of their way not to change the feeling of the album (which is pretty neat imo)- which means, there is reverb (but LOTS less than before) but if you're not paying a lot of attention, you don't realize the audio quality is superior.
    There is a lot less hissing, and her voice is less muffled in the production. It is really a good experience. Makes you appreciate the album a lot more.

I wonder if Kate was involved, IN THE STUDIO, when these remasters took place. I am almost positive she was.
    The greatest thing about the remaster is that all background vocals are pretty prominent, and very clear. They scared the hell out of me the first time I played it, hahaha.

Anyone else have an opinion on this item?
    Last edited by Stone; 04-09-2011 at 11:14 PM.

Oh...and as for this remaster of Deeper Understanding . . . it is very interesting. The production now sounds crystal-clear. Background voices, little bits here and there... I think this one and Heads We're Dancing are the ones that sound best. Her voice is VERY upfront.

Banned
    I have a strange fascination with fireworks, and overall I would say they were among my favourite things in the world. I get quite emotional when watching a firework explode, and at New Year the combination of fireworks, friends, family, alcohol and "Auld Lang Syne", which is one of my favourite pieces of music ever, is sure to make me emotional.

For this reason (quite a strange one, I know) I immediately connected with Rocket's Tail. It's one of my favourite Kate songs, and although I wish the production had given it more of a kick at the end, the song remains excellent.

^ I agree. I think Gilmour's guitar work is awesome and very complementary to Kate's voice. The song is just *orgasmic*. :S

^ God, I love that woman's eyes. I just wanna pull them out of her sockets and snuggle them.

....i always thought , and still do think that this is one of her strongest albums....there is so much beauty, so much to listen too, i view it as a work of art...one that never stops giving...

^I agree, there's a sense of cohesiveness, depth, and craftsmanship that really showed a mastery of her process..

They took the gay right out of me. Buelis's Avatar
    'The Sensual World' (title track) is far and above the best thing on this release, and one of her 5 (or so) most essential tracks of all. The disappointment of 'Flower of the Mountain' has only re-affirmed the power of the original track. Yes?

I've never really cared for TSW (song) and FOTM doesn't change that. Either of the versions really don't go anywhere. I think it's also a bit too new agey.