Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Red Shoes

Quote Originally Posted by Cairn View Post
    I've heard fans razz on this album for years, but I was unaware that Kate herself has decried it.
    I don't think she has, has she? I know she is not pleased with The Line, The Cross, and The Curve, but I've never heard anything negative from her about the album itself.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    All I know is Kate said she thought that TRS was too long.

I am getting into the Red Shoes more and more... A couple of mediocre songs ruin the atmosphere and some songs are too lengthy. Still, Moments of Pleasure is one of the prettiest things she has ever put on record...

Quote Originally Posted by couldbemessy View Post
    I don't think she has, has she? I know she is not pleased with The Line, The Cross, and The Curve, but I've never heard anything negative from her about the album itself.
    I misread your original post as her being unhappy with the album not the video. That is less upsetting than her being displeased with the album, though still a head scratcher. I've only see the video twice (in the same night) and it's been years, but I seem to remember liking it a lot. Even if I don't remember all the imagery properly, I do know I still think the film format was a brilliant way to do "videos." It's always been something I've wanted to do in terms of having a conducive narrative tie my (still yet to exist in the world) videos together.

Quote Originally Posted by kollins View Post
    Big Stripey Lie! What a weird 'messy' sounding song -- usually her music is so controlled and precise, especially as her albums took longer and longer to produce. I love it though.
    "oh my god it's a jungle in here"
    Seriously, there's not 1 song I don't like on TRS.
    post28!

Just my opinion, but I believe Kate thinks she didn't hit the note she wanted to with this album, because she doesn't defend it. She thought The Dreaming was the best thing she'd ever done at the time, in spite of the negative reaction (EMI almost refused to release TD). One of the opinions I totally agreed with in the Under the Ivy bio was that Kate has always been willing to risk looking ridiculous in the pursuit of her work. I think a lot of people find TRS ridiculous, as opposed to, say, HoL. And I'm not a creative person, but I can imagine how it must feel to have managed to pull off something as cohesive as HoL, then you go back in the studio with further brilliant ideas and they just don't seem to gel well enough.

She thought The Dreaming was the best thing she'd ever done at the time
    Did she say that? I remember her saying that TD was her mad "look at me, I'm an artist!" album, as if she felt she went over the top with that one.
    The reason the album (TRS) is quite simply produced without gimmicky experimentation is that Kate probably wanted to tour this album and it would have been easy to adapt the songs into live versions.
    Can't find the source for this but I'm almost certain it was brought up somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by MrQuin78 View Post
    Did she say that? I remember her saying that TD was her mad "look at me, I'm an artist!" album, as if she felt she went over the top with that one.
    She did say they called it her "she's gone mad" album. But to quote the recent article in Uncut magazine, "If Bush was disappointed at the public reaction to The Dreaming, she remained stubbornly sure of its merits, declaring it her favourite album, the first occasion where she'd come close to hearing her ambitions reflected back at her." It adds that she was aware after TD that she needed to deliver something not only artistically satisfying, but commercially viable.

when I moved into my current home I had this record in my portable CD player so it's a little dear to me. Eat the Music is my summer song and one of my favorites. Moments of Pleasure would be played at my ghey wedding even though my grandmother says she can't sing in this song. ("she's yelling")

Picture it. Sacramento. 1993. My family had just moved to California right before TRS was released. My parents were excited because a couple old friends were stationed on the same AFB and they threw a Christmas party for everyone, new friends included. (My parents make friends fast, and keep them for life. They are famous for their parties. LOL) Anyway, this guy who worked in my Dad's office was so excited to see the music I was playing in the background outside. (Enya, Sarah McLachlan, Annie Lennox, Cyndi Lauper, The Cranberries... you get the picture. He asked me "Where's Kate?" And I said "Kate, who?" and he did the most dramatic *GASP* I'd ever seen. He immediately went to his car and grabbed The Red Shoes for me to play. I looked at the cover and recognized her name immediately. My Uncle, back in the UK, is a huge fan and used to play her all the time when I was wee.

Anyway, the feelings of being a 13 year old at Christmas, crushing on this hot (closeted) military man, listening to The Red Shoes like we were sharing something no one else could possibly understand... it comes right back to me whenever I play this album. I love it from start to finish.

Aw. You know, Menju's been patiently waiting for a Red Shoes listening party for weeks. Maybe even months. When we feel ready, we should start the listening parties off with that one.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Nancy bless you that you remembered (although everyone must be bored by my Listening Party requests, so sorry!) but yeah, when the time's right it'd be great to do some Listening Parties. TRS is as good as any to start

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    She did say they called it her "she's gone mad" album. But to quote the recent article in Uncut magazine, "If Bush was disappointed at the public reaction to The Dreaming, she remained stubbornly sure of its merits, declaring it her favourite album, the first occasion where she'd come close to hearing her ambitions reflected back at her." It adds that she was aware after TD that she needed to deliver something not only artistically satisfying, but commercially viable.
    I have such a hard time with favorites, but The Dreaming is waaaaaaaay up there for me (of any artist of any time type rankings) and am thrilled she stuck to her guns on this one. I did not know it was almost not released.

I am super psyched for the listening parties to start again. It seems that with all the parties I'd have enjoyed being part of at the other place I had the horrid luck of not knowing about until the day after.

Terribly uneven, but it has some wonderful songs on it.

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    The Red Shoes is tragic... I don't dislike any song on it, but the production is so, soooo bad. If I had to guess, I would say it was done in 1986, and totally botched. But no, it was 1993, and they took a good amount of time producing it. WTF?

That said... love the album. The title track, "Top of the City" and especially "Song of Solomon" are a few of my all-time favorites.

I'll be the Rose of Sharon for you
    I'll do it for you!