Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Aerial

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar

Aerial

Discussion thread for Kate's eighth album Aerial. Thoughts, opinions, memories, interpretations, video, likes and dislikes - everything Aerial here!

Kate Bush
    Aerial
    (EMI)
    Released: November 2005
    Chart: UK No.3 / US No. 48

A Sea of Honey
    • King of the Mountain
    • π
    • Bertie
    • Mrs. Bartolozzi
    • How To Be Invisible
    • Joanni
    • A Coral Room

A Sky of Honey
    • Prelude
    • Prologue
    • An Architect's Dream
    • The Painter's Link
    • Sunset
    • Aerial Tal
    • Somewhere In Between
    • Nocturn
    • Aerial

Kate Bush returned in 2005 with the double album Aerial, her first collection of new songs for twelve years. The album is divided into two discs - "A Sea of Honey" and the more obviously conceptual "A Sky of Honey."

- SINGLES -

"King of the Mountain"
    Released: October 2005
    Chart: UK No.4
    Tracks: King of the Mountain / Sexual Healing

____

Unforumzed Aerial listening party thread

Banned
    How excited were we when this came out?!

I never saw the "King of the Mountain" video until just recently (like a year ago or so), so I don't really connect it with my listening experience of Aerial. It's okay I guess.

I'm just going to say a bit about some of the songs that I have something to say about. I guess "Bertie" is sort of seen as "Ribbons Undone"-ish by some. But I think it's wonderful actually. I love the way she keeps saying "you bring me so much joy" - there's so much naked emotion there.

"Mrs. Bartolozzi" - such a strange song. So Kate. I like that it's funny, (and I'm not one usually for funny music). I mean it's not neccesarily played for laughs (like say, "Mary Jane") but it's obviously sort of campy. And yet the piano figure is kind of haunting and dark in spots. So I like the complextity of that. Great song

"How to Be Invisible" - Amazing, amazing pop song. Addictive

"Joanni" - I do feel this one is a bit dated. I know elsewhere I said I don't mind dated songs - but the thing with "Joanni" is that it doesn't sound of a piece with the rest of the album. But it's not super egregiously bad, just a little too Peter Gabriel 90's-ish for me or something

"A Coral Room" - What to say? It's gorgeous. It's a work of genuis. It could make even the hardest hearts bawl their eyes out. Or something. I'm mixing metaphors. Nevertheless it is as close as popular music gets to high Art as far as I'm concerned.

Disc 2 - A wonderful achievement. I don't have much to say about each song so I'm just going to put my comments all under this heading. When this first came out I was living near the ocean for the first time of my life - and I used to put it on when I would sort of explore the beach and sunsets. It's beautiful music - in a way it's "background' music. But I don't mean that in a bad way. Just extremely chill and well crafted and dreamy. Like so much of Kate Bush's work it is literally like a sonic short story.

I was really pleased with Aerial and I still think it's a good album.

I really love this album, it's my 3rd favorite Kate album behind Dreaming and Hounds of Love. The highlights for me from disc 1 are Bertie (literally the only 'mother to child' song I like, the happiness in it is infectious), Mrs. Bartolozzi, and A Coral Room (one of the best things Kate's ever done, and so very moving). From disc 2, my favorites are Nocturn (how amazing are those last 2 minutes?) and the title track.

Quote Originally Posted by headlikeahole View Post
    I really love this album, it's my 3rd favorite Kate album behind Dreaming and Hounds of Love.
    My PoV exactly.
    I hadn't been this excited for an album release since Tori's Pele. I was here, online, when KotM was first played, to share it with you guys. Then the cd came out and disc 2 just blew me the fuck away.
    There is not a song on #2 that I don't like. It's always in our car (for those night drive's where you feel you wanna be up up on the roof). It's the way it's such a completely clever thing, you know? With the wav-form on the cover to the bird calls and the sudden burst of Spanish flamingo and the returning musical themes. Masterpiece!
    (and Disc 1 ain't half bad either, though I don't care much for Bertie and Bartolozzi)
    post28!

Quote Originally Posted by Wout View Post
    There is not a song on #2 that I don't like. It's always in our car (for those night drive's where you feel you wanna be up up on the roof). It's the way it's such a completely clever thing, you know? With the wav-form on the cover to the bird calls and the sudden burst of Spanish flamingo and the returning musical themes. Masterpiece!
    I love A Sky of Honey, it's amazing how well the whole thing works together. Outside of the context of the album, I never listen to the first 4 tracks, but they're great when listened to in context. I generally tend to listen to Sky of Honey before bed or early in the morning, it's very calming and relaxing.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Did you notice it's now on iTunes, and the second disc is one whole long track, "album only" and called a "An Endless Sky Of Honey".

Random.

I remember trying to listen to this album when I was first checking out Kate's music. I found it really boring and turned it off after the second song. (Hey, I was 16 or 17 at the time!) Now it's one of my favorite albums of all time, and I'd put it in my top two Kate albums along with The Dreaming. How to Be Invisible, Joanni, and A Coral Room all have over a 100 plays in my iTunes. A Sky of Honey is perfection from start to finish. I think this album and The Dreaming are her masterpieces.

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    I hope it wasn't her album but even if it does indeed become her farewell, Aerial will always be one of my favorites. I'd thought I'd missed out on the fun of being a K8 fan during the whole record release/promotion/hype string of events. Aerial proved she was still a genius. Plus the title track is one of the gayest things she's done.

One of the things mentioned in the Under the Ivy bio is that the artwork for this album has clues that explain what Kate has been doing and what she intends to do. I'm assuming the author is not talking about the waveform on the cover. I'm thinking of the painting of the girl sitting at the window with a book in front of her that she's writing in, and a bottle of ink nearby. It looks like a copy book for maths instruction. There are numbers from 1 to 9 in a little box, then below that is a 0. I have this wild idea that she's trying to say she'll do one more album and that's the lot.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Hello summer album totally end up listening to this album every June in the run up to midsummer.

One of the most beautiful, intelligent records I own. I was never much of a fan before, but this album got into my marrow!

It was Autumn in Aussie when I picked it up, and I remember lying on my bed with the window open. There was a gentle breeze, and that was it - I wasn't in my room anymore.
    Ebby, I think it does have a balmy Summer feel!

I am slowly getting through the rest of Kate's work. I think Kundavega posted a lovely introductory mix last year on @:

Aerial Tal
    All We Ever Look For
    This Woman's Work
    The Sensual World
    Cloudbusting
    The Man With the Child in His Eyes
    In Search of Peter Pan
    Love and Anger
    Mother Stands For Comfort
    And Dream of Sheep
    How To Be Invisible
    Moments Of Pleasure
    Rubberband Girl
    Top Of The City
    Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)
    Under The Ivy
    Don't Give Up
    The Kick Inside
    Night of the Swallow
    A Coral Room
    Somewhere In Between
    Nocturn
    Aerial

^ That is a nice mix.

While I love Aerial, and certainly think it's an improvement over the two albums that preceded it, I don't listen to it very much. I think that has more to do with the fact that the second half of 2005 sucked beyond the telling of it than the music itself. A Coral Room is stunningly beautiful and Somewhere in Between is probably my favorite track overall.

Yeah, I tend not to listen to it as much as other albums, even though I actually prefer it to many of them. But I think that's because it kind of needs to be taken as a whole, especially the second half (which is where in my opinion the best songs are - Sunset, Nocturne, Aerial).

You know, this album creeps me out. The second disc, to be more precise. The first time I heard it, I was going to bed. I just put it on and would listen to it and then fall asleep. The moment the album ends, I start having some kind of hallucination... I kept hearing music, my head felt like it was spinning. I don't know if I was sleeping and the album led me to a strange musical dream, but I felt awake. It was amazing. Nothing like that has ever happened to me before.